Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 06:29 PM

265 posts, read 974,608 times

Advertisements

I just took a contract out on a home in Apollo Beach. I've been looking for insurance and have run into a wide range of estimates. I've seen everything from $800 to $3,000 a year for my 2000 sq/ft home. I've contacted an insurer in Brandon and have quotes from a couple of companies. I've got one from St. John's which is pretty cheap. However, the Better Business Bureau has several complaints about the company. I got another from an upstart company called Olympus. Not much feedback on them as apparently they just started insuring FL sometime last month. Who are you guys using and could you give me some leads on reputable, trustworthy insurers who wont break me? Any contacts would certainly be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 PM

133 posts, read 538,133 times
I have a list on insurance companies that we give to our clients that are purchasing a home so they can shop around and find the best price. Send me a PM if you would like for me to email this to you.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:42 PM

265 posts, read 974,608 times
PM sent..Thanks!

Old 09-04-2007, 06:13 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
The reason you may not have gotten many responses is these are fairly new insurers in FL

Old 09-07-2007, 11:39 AM

162 posts, read 677,385 times
I'd sure like to know who is writing polcies this time of the year. We got stuck in Citizens last year when we bought our new home due to location and the fact that it had been months since we had a homeowner's insurance with another company (we lived with family while our home was being built). No one else would take us.

I just got this year's bill from Citizens, over $3900 and on top of that I have a separate flood policy for $317. And of course with the timing of my policy coming due during hurricane season no one reputable wants to write new policies. I'm ready for a march on Tallahasee!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,910 times
Default Homeowners Insurance in Apollo Beach

When buying insurance consider your insurance purchase based on risk, not cost. Many times people buy insurance based on the cheapest price. In Florida, this approach can be a big mistake, when you consider possible mishaps that can happen due to hurricanes and flooding.

My recommendation is to get quality insurance from a respected company that covers your investment and will pay the claim, if a mishap occurs. Of course the cheapest insurance is just gambling without any insurance and betting on no mishap will happen in the future.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-25-2012 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: recommendations are not with less than 10 posts

Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidibly View Post
I'd sure like to know who is writing polcies this time of the year. We got stuck in Citizens last year when we bought our new home due to location and the fact that it had been months since we had a homeowner's insurance with another company (we lived with family while our home was being built). No one else would take us.

I just got this year's bill from Citizens, over $3900 and on top of that I have a separate flood policy for $317. And of course with the timing of my policy coming due during hurricane season no one reputable wants to write new policies. I'm ready for a march on Tallahasee!
A couple comments:

1) Citizens is over-all underpriced. They are basically just charging enough to cover the basic stuff with no *extra* for when there is a bad storm year. Now that doesn't mean they are pricing your specific home correctly, I'm just talking generalities. (The legislature basically said that taking the needed rate increases for citizens was politically unworkable.)

2. Citizens is now the largest property insurer in the state of FL having passed State Farm. If you factor in total risk, because citizens writes the high-risk stuff near the coasts and in the south end of the state....they have by far the largest storm exposure.

3. When the next bad storm year occurs, Citizens will be short 30-40billion. There will be tack-on assessments of 10% on almost every type of insurance you purchase in the state until that's paid down....so figure on it taking many years.

So let me re-cap. People and businesses etc. that can afford to live closer to the beach are getting cheaper insurance which will eventually be paid for by everyone in the state via assessments. If you live further north and in-land, your politicians that painted Citizens as helping the "little guy" is really forcing you to subsidize wealthier Floridians and non-FL people that have beach front property etc etc.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
The reason you may not have gotten many responses is these are fairly new insurers in FL
I found this older thread which had some good advice about how to check out some of the newer companies.

Personally, they are cheaper for a reason. I'd generally try to stick with one of the bigger brand names like State Farm etc.

//www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...e-company.html

Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times
I don't think State Farm is writing homeowner's policies here any more.

When we bought our current home last year, SF would insure us, but only because we had an existing policy. They implied that once a year was up and renewal time came, it was unlikely the policy would be renewed.

It was a moot point, as we shopped around and found coverage through Allstate for about a third of what SF wanted.

RM

Old 05-25-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I don't think State Farm is writing homeowner's policies here any more.

When we bought our current home last year, SF would insure us, but only because we had an existing policy. They implied that once a year was up and renewal time came, it was unlikely the policy would be renewed.

It was a moot point, as we shopped around and found coverage through Allstate for about a third of what SF wanted.

RM
SF is still the 2nd largest property insurer in the state, citizens just passed them in like the last year or so. They still write A LOT there, just not in certain areas. (The state DOI has all this info on their website)

When SF had their giant pi$$ing contest with the state the final deal gave SF a modest rate increase but allowed them to transfer the crap they didn't want to Citizens. (about 15% of their business).

So, that's politics. The state didn't want to give SF a large (defensible) rate increase in the high risk areas so they just took over that portion at inadequate rate levels and is having the rest of the state subsidize them via eventual assessments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: