Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 AM

74 posts, read 120,666 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to Florida either to the Tampa Bay or Orlando areas. My daughter is a web designer/graphic artist and the jobs on Craig's List for jobs that she is qualified for are both many times more numerous and pay much better, (sometimes twice or more the pay that she is now recieving), than the ones here. She has risen to the top of possibilties in our area and the jobs in both the Tampa and Orlando area present much more promise. Also, the housing is much cheaper there although I am aware of the pitfalls; sinkholes, chinese drywall, fees, some bad neighborhoods, less than great schools, etc.

I love Florida, always have. Our move is a combination of our semi-retirement and my daughter bringing her girls and advancing her life and theirs. We will live in the same house for awhile, (we have for years here), and she claims that she can get a good job just about anywhere down there.

I have been on these forums for nearly a month and read a lot of negativity about the job markets. Are we not getting the right impression about Florida? Are we deluding ourselves about the opportunities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanbat View Post
Are we deluding ourselves about the opportunities?
yes.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 AM

38 posts, read 66,033 times
Everyone's different. I feel that a lot of posters are very negative and seem to expect handouts. There are oppurtunities everywhere if you ask me. Just look around at all the beautiful places in Tampa.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Please DO NOT judge the Job Market by Craigslist posts. I am in the same field, and they are all pure C.R.A.P

Some are MAJOR scams.

Craigslist is the WORST thing that happened to the Job Markets everywhere, and the one in Tampa is more than awful, as it is full of scammer's, and people who want the world for $10 bucks.

If you want real employment, such as a real job, look everywhere else BUT Craigslist. Indeed.com or better yet, get a head hunter. Tampa job market is saturated with "creatives"...and I have quotes around that because there are few with real education and talent in that field to even call themselves "creatives".

Old 01-24-2012, 08:36 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Get this straight... EVERYTHING about Florida is superior to Ohio. EVERYTHING.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 AM

I think they know that already...... (all though your statement is highly subjective IMO)

This thread wasn't about the superiority of these two states...they mentioned all these "plentiful Craigslist Jobs", and I cannot stand by and agree with that.

Just because someone wants out of Ohio, that doesn't mean they should get scammed by some Craigslist lowlife. They are seniors, and also have small kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Get this straight... EVERYTHING about Florida is superior to Ohio. EVERYTHING.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanbat View Post
We are planning a move to Florida either to the Tampa Bay or Orlando areas. My daughter is a web designer/graphic artist and the jobs on Craig's List for jobs that she is qualified for are both many times more numerous and pay much better, (sometimes twice or more the pay that she is now recieving), than the ones here. She has risen to the top of possibilties in our area and the jobs in both the Tampa and Orlando area present much more promise. Also, the housing is much cheaper there although I am aware of the pitfalls; sinkholes, chinese drywall, fees, some bad neighborhoods, less than great schools, etc.

I love Florida, always have. Our move is a combination of our semi-retirement and my daughter bringing her girls and advancing her life and theirs. We will live in the same house for awhile, (we have for years here), and she claims that she can get a good job just about anywhere down there.

I have been on these forums for nearly a month and read a lot of negativity about the job markets. Are we not getting the right impression about Florida? Are we deluding ourselves about the opportunities?
There are those who will always post the worst about anywhere in Florida. I remember your previous post and your situation, so my advice might be a little different for you. While it's true Florida might not be the BEST place in the country for jobs right now, it's far, far from being the worst. Bottom line is that unemployment is falling, new businesses are hiring and even Forbes had us on the list of best places for hiring this year. Some people are able to come here and get a good job right away. Usually those folks are people with good skills and good attitudes. Those who have no skills and want clerical or retail/hospitality work will have a hard time.

As far as other concerns, sinkholes mostly in certain areas of central Florida, we have some really good schools, and some not so good. Only some newer homes have Chinese drywall but you get an inspection for that. And bad neighborhoods can be found ANYWHERE. To me, a Florida native, the wonderful things Florida has to offer far outweigh the negatives. I love the quality of life here.

It sounds like your daughter feels pretty confident about getting a job here, and I believe she probably can. Try to read ALL of the posts, not just the overly negative ones here.

Remember my previous advice to you that it is important to make the most out of one's life since we don't know how much of it any of us gets. I would say, if your daughter can secure a good job here (first) that is a good sign to make the move.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Blah Blah Blah
Don't listen to anything this poster claims. They do not even live in the Tampa Bay area. It is just a deluded soul with a lot of free time to post negative diatribes on this site.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 AM

74 posts, read 120,666 times
Thanks for your posts, folks. I will share this with my daughter. She has applied for a number of jobs with some response but the big sticking point is the fact that she does not live there and that stops them. I know companies move high powered executives but her jobs are not quite to that level. We would love to see the progression be: get the job, then do the move. Right now our strategy is Gramps and Gramma move, she moves down with the girls and moves in with us, she gets a job. There is no possibilty of her just living off of us, it has never happened and never will, she pulls her weight and more.
I will encourage her to move away from Craig's list and see how things look on different job search sites. Thanks, Algia.
Gypsychick, if we find people like you in Florida we will be happy as clams.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Excuse me! Not only have we lived there, but we are moving back. Please do show me "success stories" job related with Craigslist...and what are you quoting exactly?

Take your personal attacks somewhere else.

You don't have to believe me, just start sending your resume to those positions and see how many will jump at the opportunity to hire someone out of state (if you read the entire job description), they all mention "must work in-house", which means you have to be there.

They also pay between $10 & $12 bucks an hour...A normal graphic design job pays way over that somewhere north of $17 per hour. That is a "real" design job, for someone with a degree, paid by a real advertising company Not some Joe that wants a flyer done.

I have been in this field for 11 years now. (All of them in Florida BTW)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay