U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:58 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,545,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chels57 View Post
Can anyone tell me about public transportation? TSP seems to be lacking a bit in that area. MSP has a good busing system & light rail. Any plans for a light rail system or something similar in TSP? Or is there something similar already in place that I haven't heard of?
Shortsightedness caused light rail to fail at the voting booths in Hillsborough County a few years ago. Pinellas County has a few plans in the works and hopefully people will open their eyes and support it. Both counties have extensive bus systems and, despite what people will tell you (people who have probably never ridden the bus before, anyway), the systems do work and they can get you to most places, though you'll have to plan around the bus systems. I think HART (Tampa) is better than PSTA (Pinellas), but PSTA has decent service in the southern part of the county (St. Pete).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 10:15 PM

5 posts, read 4,310 times
Default Twin Cities Girl also moving to St. Pete in OCT!2012

Wow it is pretty funny to come across this blog as we have a lot in common. I also decided in January to relocate to St. Petersburg and I am also moving there this October. AND I am from the Twin Cities lol, currently living in South St. Paul, MN. I hope that your move goes as planned!. I know I am very excited!!. Thank you everyone for your feedback, it certainly helps me out a great deal as well.

From all the research I have gathered, being a single female in my 20's who just graduated college, I have decided to live in St. Pete near downtown for a year or two so I can be close to the beaches and still get that downtown nighlife. And a few years from now will probably make my way into Tampa. (soho, ybor, channelside most likely) for the nightlife, career, and big city feel. GOOD LUCK! If you want grab drinks and discuss the move before and/or after we move , let me know!!lol

Tara G.
S.S.P, MN

Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM

Default Twin Cities Girl also moving to St. Pete in OCT!2012

Quote:
Hola!

My cousin & I are moving to Clearwater in October. I know that's pretty far away, but we want to make sure we gather as much info as possible before moving.

Is there anything you'd want to share with someone moving to the area? Warnings, suggestions, etc?

We're both females in our early 20s, born & raised in the Twin Cities. She'll be going to school in Tampa & I'm going to St. Petersburg College to build on my 2 year paralegal degree. We're both beyond excited to get down there & start out new lives

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share!

Wow it is pretty funny to come across this blog as we have a lot in common. I also decided in January to relocate to St. Petersburg and I am also moving there this October. AND I am from the Twin Cities lol, currently living in South St. Paul, MN. I hope that your move goes as planned!. I know I am very excited!!. Thank you everyone for your feedback, it certainly helps me out a great deal as well.
From all the research I have gathered, being a single female in my 20's who just graduated college, I have decided to live in St. Pete near downtown for a year or two so I can be close to the beaches and still get that downtown nighlife. And a few years from now will probably make my way into Tampa. (soho, ybor, channelside most likely) for the nightlife, career, and big city feel. GOOD LUCK! If you want grab drinks and discuss the move before and/or after we move , let me know!!lol

Tara G.
S.S.P, MN

Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 AM

26,084 posts, read 14,631,407 times
I'm off Belcher/ lots of apts north n south of there and I feel very safe , but not all apts are well kept and keep all under control. I did crime stop or search on my PC to see where the criminal activity was worse,, my complex is very quiet and I was not sure it would be due to location.. pleasantly surprized. Takes me 20 min to get to Int mall. Tampa. I always suggest you make a quick run n see for yourself before signing on the dotted line, if at all possible.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 AM

272 posts, read 547,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrist01 View Post

Tara G.
S.S.P, MN
I think downtown St. Pete for a younger person would be a lot of fun.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,484,871 times
Quote:
I want to live in Clearwater out of convenience because that's where my school is. We're thinking Clearwater, Largo, or Safety Harbor. ...
Where is your cousin going to be going to school? The commute should be a consideration--getting in and out of Tampa from the Pinellas peninsula can be hellish. You're going to want to compromise so that neither of you suffers too badly.

Safety Harbor's a bit further away from Clearwater, but is closer to Tampa, for instance. It's a cute little place. Dunedin is also cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I'm sorry, I thought St. Petersburg College was in southern St. Pete...which is probably a 30-45 minute drive during high traffic times- coming back home being worse depending on traffic into Clearwater. Do they have an additional branch in Clearwater? If so, then yes- that would make sense!
They have campuses spread all over the Pinellas.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:15 AM

Default Movin to St pete in Oct

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I'm off Belcher/ lots of apts north n south of there and I feel very safe , but not all apts are well kept and keep all under control. I did crime stop or search on my PC to see where the criminal activity was worse,, my complex is very quiet and I was not sure it would be due to location.. pleasantly surprized. Takes me 20 min to get to Int mall. Tampa. I always suggest you make a quick run n see for yourself before signing on the dotted line, if at all possible.

Yes that is very good advice. I have enough saved that I will first be renting somewhere weekly or monthly before I sign a lease somewhere. I want to explore the different areas and see where I like before making a use commitment of a yr lease. So far dwtwn St. Pete is stuck in my head but I am keeping options open.

ONLY 9 WEEKS TO GO!!!

I was wondering if there will be any large up coming events this winter or next year.
I know the Gasparilla Festival is Jan 26th 2013. Is there any other large events that take place in the Tampa bay area?

Tara

Old 07-26-2012, 11:52 AM

296 posts, read 575,202 times
Advice, don't step foot around Greenwood.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,484,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrist01 View Post

I was wondering if there will be any large up coming events this winter or next year.
I know the Gasparilla Festival is Jan 26th 2013. Is there any other large events that take place in the Tampa bay area?

Tara
Tara, there are all kinds of events that happen all over the peninsula in the winter. Too numerous to mention, and I've only been to a handful. Epiphany in Tarpon Springs comes to mind. Christmas boat parades in most towns in December. Tons of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay