U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 9,099 times

Advertisements

Hola!

My cousin & I are moving to Clearwater in October. I know that's pretty far away, but we want to make sure we gather as much info as possible before moving.

Is there anything you'd want to share with someone moving to the area? Warnings, suggestions, etc?

We're both females in our early 20s, born & raised in the Twin Cities. She'll be going to school in Tampa & I'm going to St. Petersburg College to build on my 2 year paralegal degree. We're both beyond excited to get down there & start out new lives

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,839,818 times
I'm in my mid-20's and I can tell you Clearwater would be one of last places I would move to...especially if I was in my early 20's.

For one, the traffic is horrible...and it seems to be year around. I think the Tampa Bay area does a pretty good job with moving traffic along in a large area with so many cars on the road and no mass transit (like rail) available. However, Clearwater is the exception.

There are a few good restaurants and bars there...but other than that, it is just kind of touristy and again- I can't stand the traffic. It's not the locals' fault. I wish it was better accessible with more parking...but when family and friends come to visit me, they expect to go to Clearwater...and I have to disappoint them.

EDIT: I just realized you meant "Twin Cities" as in St. Paul & Minneapolis. I thought you were referring to St. Pete & Tampa, but lived in a rural area or in just one place all of your life and finally getting out on your own- sorry. You will probably need a lot more information than what I provided.

I have to suspect now that you want to move to Clearwater just because it's "the name" you hear when you think Tampa Bay and beaches together. Again, aside from traffic, I think Clearwater is a great place in itself...but there are a LOT more options, especially if you are wanting to be coastal. I guess I just feel Clearwater is a tad isolated and I would want (esp at your age) to venture around...St. Pete downtown, Tampa, Ybor, etc

Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 PM

Thanks for your quick response!

I want to live in Clearwater out of convenience because that's where my school is. We're thinking Clearwater, Largo, or Safety Harbor. We don't plan on living close to Clearwater Beach, because I know traffic is a nightmare around there. And it's way more expensive. Clearwater & the other cities I mentioned also seem safer than Tampa or St. Pete, which is pretty important to both of us.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,839,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chels57 View Post
Thanks for your quick response!

I want to live in Clearwater out of convenience because that's where my school is. We're thinking Clearwater, Largo, or Safety Harbor. We don't plan on living close to Clearwater Beach, because I know traffic is a nightmare around there. And it's way more expensive. Clearwater & the other cities I mentioned also seem safer than Tampa or St. Pete, which is pretty important to both of us.
I'm sorry, I thought St. Petersburg College was in southern St. Pete...which is probably a 30-45 minute drive during high traffic times- coming back home being worse depending on traffic into Clearwater. Do they have an additional branch in Clearwater? If so, then yes- that would make sense!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:09 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,506,877 times
Get good insurance and hide your good stuff really well.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,517,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I'm sorry, I thought St. Petersburg College was in southern St. Pete...which is probably a 30-45 minute drive during high traffic times- coming back home being worse depending on traffic into Clearwater. Do they have an additional branch in Clearwater? If so, then yes- that would make sense!
There are a couple of branches. There's one at Park/66th in Pinellas Park and then one on 113th in Seminole. There might be another one at 19/Klosterman in Palm Harbor.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 AM

4,561 posts, read 6,939,861 times
There's one in Clearwater and another branch in Tarpon Springs.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 854,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chels57 View Post
Clearwater, Largo and Safety Harbor are bascially just suburban sprawl, mostly families and old people. Safety Harbor does have a tiny little downtown area, but still very family and old people oriented. Like the other poster says, there's a nice restaurant or good bar here and there out in the sprawl, but, if you live in any of those three places, you'll be commuting to find friends your age and have fun. I'd recommend you do the opposite: live where you play and commute to school/work. In the bay area, early 20s, you should check out 3 nightlife spots in Tampa (SoHo, Channelside and Ybor) and downtown St. Pete. Lots of posts here about all of those, and those are the places you should look first.

Also, I wouldn't rule out a whole city due to generalized safety concerns. Safety depends on neighborhood. For example, South Tampa (where SoHo is) and downtown/northeast St. Pete feel very safe to me. And if you do rule out a whole town due to safety concerns in particular neighborhoods, you should rule out Clearwater and Largo, each of which has some crappy neighborhoods.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:59 PM

77 posts, read 127,152 times
Every town or major city has crappy neighborhoods! Depends on where your work,school, family live and do you want to live in a bigger city or suburb? Me, I am use to the suburbs. Grew up in them and so have my children. I currently live in Tucson and can not stand it. Its too busy for me. I don't mind living in a community that has other families or retirees. Yes, might be a longer drive to get somewhere but I would rather have the longer drive then deal with city traffic.

It all depends on what you want, you need, and are you going to be happy there

Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 PM

Thanks everyone!

That's a good point about all cities having their rough spots. I suppose I'll get a better feel for the good/bad areas when I come down to visit in May.

I'll look into the parts of Tampa that you all mentioned. I'm kind of partied-out (at the ripe old age of 23...yikes) but it would be nice to live closer to people my age.

Can anyone tell me about public transportation? TSP seems to be lacking a bit in that area. MSP has a good busing system & light rail. Any plans for a light rail system or something similar in TSP? Or is there something similar already in place that I haven't heard of?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or