U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, MD
16 posts, read 20,769 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

So, I've made up my mind. I'm moving from Bel Air, MD to Tampa after I finish school. I have been looking at apartments and 1 and 2 bedrooms seem incredibly well priced compared to MD. A 1 bedroom here is $900 and up. Tampa seems like a pretty big area and I guess what I'm getting at is, where would be a good place to live. I'd preferably like to be close to downtown or in downtown if possible. Crime isn't an issue (i've lived in baltimore). I work in the IT field now and I don't plan on having a job when I move...but uh, does this sound like a good idea? lol I lived in Orlando for a few months back in '05 but I just can't stand seasons and 20 degree weather...or snow for that matter. Thanks for the suggestions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2012, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, MD
16 posts, read 20,769 times
Reputation: 12
Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.
No idea yet, work in the I.T. field

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?
Apartment 1 bedroom or a studio, no more than $800/ month

Are schools a concern?
nope

What is an acceptable commute time?
30-40 minutes

What else is important to you?
I'd like to be close to downtown
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay`·.¸¸ ><((((º>.·´¯`·><((((º>
4,557 posts, read 6,925,390 times
Reputation: 13528
If you work in the IT field now, try very hard to get a job here. It is always easier to get a job while you are employed.
Yes, housing is substantially less here than in MD, but it is very different from there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
1,389 posts, read 2,074,627 times
Reputation: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_33 View Post
So, I've made up my mind. I'm moving from Bel Air, MD to Tampa after I finish school. I have been looking at apartments and 1 and 2 bedrooms seem incredibly well priced compared to MD. A 1 bedroom here is $900 and up. Tampa seems like a pretty big area and I guess what I'm getting at is, where would be a good place to live. I'd preferably like to be close to downtown or in downtown if possible. Crime isn't an issue (i've lived in baltimore). I work in the IT field now and I don't plan on having a job when I move...but uh, does this sound like a good idea? lol I lived in Orlando for a few months back in '05 but I just can't stand seasons and 20 degree weather...or snow for that matter. Thanks for the suggestions
some things:

-crime is an issue, even for someone who braved the streets of bawlmer.

-downtown tampa is *not* like downtown baltimore. you're used to the inner harbor, fells point, federal hill, row homes, etc. you know... lots of things to see and do in the heart of the city. downtown tampa is basically a corporate zone that is dead after business hours. try channelside, hyde park, soho (closest thing you'll find to anything resembling what you're used to with regards to people, nightlife).

-absolutely horrible idea to move here without a job. i work in the IT field too. came down from DC with a job lined up. i highly suggest you do the same.

-go o's (but die peter angelos)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
3,237 posts, read 5,495,387 times
Reputation: 1492
Get a job before you move. We have enough people leeching off of the system down here already.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
3,237 posts, read 5,495,387 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
some things:

-crime is an issue, even for someone who braved the streets of bawlmer.

-downtown tampa is *not* like downtown baltimore. you're used to the inner harbor, fells point, federal hill, row homes, etc. you know... lots of things to see and do in the heart of the city. downtown tampa is basically a corporate zone that is dead after business hours. try channelside, hyde park, soho (closest thing you'll find to anything resembling what you're used to with regards to people, nightlife).

-absolutely horrible idea to move here without a job. i work in the IT field too. came down from DC with a job lined up. i highly suggest you do the same.

-go o's (but die peter angelos)
In some ways it's like Baltimore. Downtown is surrounded by ghetto on 2 sides (north, east). We dont have inner harbor, we have channelside (about the same as inner harbor), we dont have a baseball stadium downtown, we have a hockey arena.

What we DONT have is miles and miles of burned out rowhouses inhabited by junkies. In other words, we have a lot less HOOD than Baltimore. And we have a net population INcrease, where Baltimore has been losing tens of thousands for decades. Our downtown by and large is a LOT safer than Baltimore. It's not even close.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
1,389 posts, read 2,074,627 times
Reputation: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
In some ways it's like Baltimore. Downtown is surrounded by ghetto on 2 sides (north, east). We dont have inner harbor, we have channelside (about the same as inner harbor), we dont have a baseball stadium downtown, we have a hockey arena.

What we DONT have is miles and miles of burned out rowhouses inhabited by junkies. In other words, we have a lot less HOOD than Baltimore. And we have a net population INcrease, where Baltimore has been losing tens of thousands for decades. Our downtown by and large is a LOT safer than Baltimore. It's not even close.
re-read my post and tell me where i compared crime in the two downtown areas.






couldn't find it? that's because i was talking about nightlife and other assorted things to do in downtown baltimore vs. the cultural void known as downtown tampa. even someone like you absolutely must admit that tampa's downtown isn't even close. crime is an issue in every city, everywhere, which was my point in my first post. i'm sure you conveniently overlooked that though.

miles and miles of burned out rowhomes..... glad you're not dramatic! put down the dvds of "the wire."

ps - channelside "the same" as inner harbor? pass the pipe, dude. channelside is a micro version of the harbor, sure, but is nowhere near as built up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, MD
16 posts, read 20,769 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
some things:

-crime is an issue, even for someone who braved the streets of bawlmer.

-downtown tampa is *not* like downtown baltimore. you're used to the inner harbor, fells point, federal hill, row homes, etc. you know... lots of things to see and do in the heart of the city. downtown tampa is basically a corporate zone that is dead after business hours. try channelside, hyde park, soho (closest thing you'll find to anything resembling what you're used to with regards to people, nightlife).

-absolutely horrible idea to move here without a job. i work in the IT field too. came down from DC with a job lined up. i highly suggest you do the same.

-go o's (but die peter angelos)

I've lost all faith in my O's...i really have...Ravens is where all the fun is it! Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try and visit with my tax returns and turn in some resumes here and there so we'll see how that goes..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, MD
16 posts, read 20,769 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
In some ways it's like Baltimore. Downtown is surrounded by ghetto on 2 sides (north, east). We dont have inner harbor, we have channelside (about the same as inner harbor), we dont have a baseball stadium downtown, we have a hockey arena.

What we DONT have is miles and miles of burned out rowhouses inhabited by junkies. In other words, we have a lot less HOOD than Baltimore. And we have a net population INcrease, where Baltimore has been losing tens of thousands for decades. Our downtown by and large is a LOT safer than Baltimore. It's not even close.
there's hockey in Florida???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, MD
16 posts, read 20,769 times
Reputation: 12
i will have well over $6k saved up when I move so I won't be completely out of money. But I would preferably like to have a job when I move lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top