Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 AM

32 posts, read 49,637 times

Advertisements

haha, I wont be leeching anything, we have about 8 months of expenses saved at the moment, by the time we go we will have 9-10 months saved. I have had several calls for interviews from what seem to be legit manufacturing companies (did research on them). Also, my wife has a degree from brazil in international studies, she is from there and they do not use A/C in brazil so we will have no problem with the added expense of this. The real issue is most employers dont want to deal with someone relocating until we actually arrive, so its nearly impossible to get this type of employment without actually being there.....we do have several friends in this area that may be able to help. In the end if we cant find employment within 6 months we will simply return home, no harm done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,239 times
Good for you Gordao86, my wife and I moving to FL from mid-west in few months too. My take is that there are jobs everywhere, and people do work somewhere, right? People reply with bunch of negativity because they don't have the balls to do such move themselves. So enjoy your move to FL, you'll be just fine.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
the job market down here is always terrible unless you're very good at something that is really in demand. the area is known to be a corporate wasteland where many large companies set up customer service call centers and other very low level operations. job postings get hundreds of responses and pay is low. its just a brutal place to build and maintain a career and is annually ranked as the nations worst place for young professionals. lot of very sketchy, uneducated, transient people here. most people i know have left and found good jobs elsewhere. brain drain is off the charts here as smart people leave the area in droves and sketchy transients remain

Old 02-13-2012, 10:56 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS family View Post
Good for you Gordao86, my wife and I moving to FL from mid-west in few months too. My take is that there are jobs everywhere, and people do work somewhere, right? People reply with bunch of negativity because they don't have the balls to do such move themselves. So enjoy your move to FL, you'll be just fine.
The negative people posting already live here or have lived here and understand the job market. A lot of people have the "balls" to make the move, but don't have them when they fail and are living out of their car. The OP is in better shape than some who make the move if he can live on savings for 10 months.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM

8 posts, read 15,295 times
All the hate about CL. My Wife and I have found several jobs on there. Its becomes quite clear what jobs are scams. If you can work at home its a scam, if they offer 1k a week its a scam, call sales center scam etc

Old 02-13-2012, 12:31 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS family View Post
Boy are you in for a suprise. Good Luck

Old 02-13-2012, 12:45 PM

well, this post wasnt really to talk about the job market, and yes its quite clear which posts on CL are scams and which are legit, extremely easy to do some research and find out....my wife and I are very thrifty people and can live off 1500/month quite easily....my original post was about finding some form of short term rentals besides hotels/vacation rentals as those are quite expensive, but it seems no one knows about this so I suppose I'll figure it out when I arrive

Old 02-13-2012, 02:03 PM

77 posts, read 138,409 times
I think sometimes things are better left to us to figure them out on our own. I have done most of my homework by myself on moving to Florida. Some on here do help out and have helped me figure or find things out. Its a lot of work moving but just take your time and you will figure things out.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
The negative people posting already live here or have lived here and understand the job market. A lot of people have the "balls" to make the move, but don't have them when they fail and are living out of their car. The OP is in better shape than some who make the move if he can live on savings for 10 months.
Exactly. I've grown to enjoy Florida quite a lot. I'm, surprising enough to say (even though I do indeed miss the north), rather quite content where I am - Florida...

Truth is, we aren't steering the OP away because we "hate" Florida. None of us are going "OH DON'T MOVE HERE, IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD." We're simply stating the realities of moving here without a job in a state....and area where the economy is suffering severely.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:22 PM

and thats all completely understandable and appreciated EB2, but the simple fact of the matter is, there are many more manufacturing jobs in that area paying the same amount I can get here in Michigan....that is if I could find a job in Michigan.....check out the amount of those types of employment in tampa area compared to southwest michigan . We can survive off of 10-12/hr without a problem until my wife is able to find employment in her field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay