U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:47 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,203,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Lower skill jobs like retail usually tend to pay better in other places, Tennessee, Oklahoma, and Texas generally often make the top 3 cheapest places to live, I couldn't see living in a place where I'd struggle just because it's viewed as "paradise."
I'm a photographer/graphic designer...My hubby is in title insurance biz, and last time I applied for retail I got declined bc of "no experience!" hahaha! and we don't see FL as "paradise" ever! LOL that's funny! But it is "home" to us, and like I said it is best for my son. Aside from not being able to get health insurance we really have no complaints! We shopped around like hell after we got that one insane car insurance quote, so were back to our normal with that too...but it is crazy how many quotes one has to get before finding a normal rate!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM

12,135 posts, read 14,072,668 times
24 percent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
Does anyone have any numbers on percent of uninsured motorists in FL? I would think rates would go up because of population growth and higher risk of being hit as a result...

Old 12-28-2012, 11:15 AM

5 posts, read 5,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
That's insane. I pay less than $300/month for my policy which covers 3 vehicles and 3 drivers - full coverage on all vehicles - $250 deductible. One of the vehicles is a brand new somewhat high-end SUV, 2012 model year. One of the drivers is my stepson who is early 20's and has an accident or two under his belt.
Well, my parents pay more than you and they have never had an accident this century or a ticket for two 2010 Corollas in Safety Harbor. You are most definitely an exception to the rule from everything I've seen.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
It's normal down there these days for the rates to go up ? My Geico just renewed and went down by $20/mo.
Yes according to every news story out there, and six companies I got quotes from, all insurance rates in Florida go up each year on average. I have GEICO.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Well one of the biggest problems I have with insurance companies in general, and Florida specifically, is that they use credit. Two years ago I had a 522 score, and I got a quote from GEICO for $650 each 6 months. Now I have a 727 score, and they say my credit is causing my premium to go up in Florida. What? The only negative on my credit report is a hospital bill from almost four years ago.

They also said its a negative for my credit that I have no mortgage accounts, or a mortgage account amounting to less than 6% of my credit line. WHAT? So, I'm more of a risk in Florida because I didn't buy a home versus renting and didn't go into debt by hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Finally, GEICO is telling me that my single car accident with no injuries in 12/2011 is counting against me in Florida. I asked them what the meant by that and I was told that its not counted against me here in Arizona. That makes no sense. If it doesn't count against me in the state it happened, why would it count in Florida. Even more so considering that I slid in the snow, which really isn't a common issue in Florida.

Last thought... if a car insurance company (or any utility) uses a person's credit to determine rates they should also be legally required to report your good (or bad) payment history to the bureaus. Don't you think?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 AM

3,313 posts, read 4,605,996 times
We had Amico for at least last 5 years (they check your credit score at the begining to determine if they even will take you as their customer), and yesterday we received a renewal package, and our rate went up by approx. $200 a year (no accidents, no tickets, the same 2 cars)... Go figure... Other companies gave us higher quotes anyways

Old 12-28-2012, 12:27 PM

3,112 posts, read 5,441,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSoulSurfer View Post
Well, my parents pay more than you and they have never had an accident this century or a ticket for two 2010 Corollas in Safety Harbor. You are most definitely an exception to the rule from everything I've seen.
Interesting.

I bet that a big part of what they pay is that the Corolla is such a popular vehicle, demand is high for the parts, so they are targeted often by thieves. I replaced a 2007 Honda Accord coupe with a 2012 Honda Pilot SUV and my insurance actually went down because the Accord is always on the most-stolen list each year and considered a higher risk.

I didn't shop really hard for prices. I moved here and went to insurance agent who affiliated with a bunch of companies that a friend recommended. All they did was price it out with each company and give me the prices for comparison.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,269 posts, read 4,432,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSoulSurfer View Post
Well one of the biggest problems I have with insurance companies in general, and Florida specifically, is that they use credit. Two years ago I had a 522 score, and I got a quote from GEICO for $650 each 6 months. Now I have a 727 score, and they say my credit is causing my premium to go up in Florida. What? The only negative on my credit report is a hospital bill from almost four years ago.

They also said its a negative for my credit that I have no mortgage accounts, or a mortgage account amounting to less than 6% of my credit line. WHAT? So, I'm more of a risk in Florida because I didn't buy a home versus renting and didn't go into debt by hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Finally, GEICO is telling me that my single car accident with no injuries in 12/2011 is counting against me in Florida. I asked them what the meant by that and I was told that its not counted against me here in Arizona. That makes no sense. If it doesn't count against me in the state it happened, why would it count in Florida. Even more so considering that I slid in the snow, which really isn't a common issue in Florida.

Last thought... if a car insurance company (or any utility) uses a person's credit to determine rates they should also be legally required to report your good (or bad) payment history to the bureaus. Don't you think?
This not unique to Florida.

Almost all insurers that I know of use a form of credit scores to determine your insurability, which in some cases seems a little twisted. I say that because mine dropped a bit a few years back when the spouse was laid off. We never missed a bill or payment with anyone, and struggled to minimize any or all credit.

It came back to haunt me when we returned to Florida a few years ago, as my former agent told me one of the reasons my rates were higher than before was because of the weight they gave to credit scores.

There is also another score that is tied to your credit score that insurers use called you "auto insurance score". This is put out by TransUnion (a credit rating bureau) and is separate from your credit score. It takes your credit score into consideration, but also looks at other variables which are not known to the general public.

Your Vantage score is the credit score used by creditors and the three big credit bureaus.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay