Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM

121 posts, read 217,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Well, in my case the one driver got cited and the other I think is getting license pulled permanently so I can't complain in that regard.
That's good, I hope they learned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 PM

119 posts, read 253,487 times
I don't know how the drivers get away with not having insurance...my daughter's insurance lapsed due to losing her job and her liscense was almost suspended (we added her onto ours to prevent it). It really sucks that we good, responsible people are paying for those who don't do what theyre supposed to.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I just renewed my policy with Geico and pay bi-annually it went up like 30$ per 6 months, about normal.
It's normal down there these days for the rates to go up ? My Geico just renewed and went down by $20/mo.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:17 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
In PA we paid $70 a month, (420/6 months) when I called the same company to get a quote for 33558 zip code they quoted me $2400 for 6 months! for two, old, paid off vehicles, no offenses of any sort. When we moved from Orlando 32712 zip code to Lutz 33558 my then insurance went up by $250 bucks.

Something is going on in Tampa, and i don't think it has to do with bad drivers, but more so with fraudulent companies. It is not possible that Lutz would have that many bad drivers when this is just a big subdivision, where nobody even goes up to 45 which is the speed limit POSTED, and looks exactly like the one we lived in Orlando.
The same thing happened to me when I was planning to relocate back to Florida 3-4 years ago (ended up in TX instead.) They quoted me $1950 for 6 months for an old, beat up, paid off Ranger. I paid $444 every 6 months in Nashville, TN for full coverage with Farm Bureau, I currently pay $510 every 6 months in Houston, TX.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
It's normal down there these days for the rates to go up ? My Geico just renewed and went down by $20/mo.
Ours USED to go down thanks to not having any offenses...and now, also without offense is going up. I call it FRAUD. Period. Car insurance should be charged by individual, and by individual MVR only, and not by the masses in certain areas, it is really not fair. No wonder so many choose not to have any. I can't blame them really.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
I don't know what all these folks talking but my progressive insurance went down when I renew this month (for six months) compared to my premium six months ago .

I pay around 130/month for two cars full coverage and small deductable and high liability coverages. I got $200 discount for paying full six month premium too. That is pretty good in my book.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:00 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
State Farm has become obscenely expensive here because they don't want to leave the market but also don't want to lose money.

We were with SF for nearly 30 years when an increase (without any claims) caused our costs to go up nearly 30%. Our agent is a personal friend and "did what she said she could do" to make the premiums manageable.

We shopped them, only to find that we could get the same or better coverage from Allstate for less than what we had paid SF BEFORE their rates went up.

When I went back to my SF agent, suddenly they were able to get me some more "discounts". After 30+ years of being with them I had been told a long time ago that I was maxed out on discounts due to the amount of time I had been with them.

So much for that. SF was using my loyalty to increase their profits - at least that's how I saw it.

Now I'm with Allstate and still paying less, with no increases in two years. I may give SF a chance to earn my business back in another year, but I'm not holding my breath.

RM

Old 12-16-2012, 02:29 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Sounds reasonable and probably average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
I don't know what all these folks talking but my progressive insurance went down when I renew this month (for six months) compared to my premium six months ago .

I pay around 130/month for two cars full coverage and small deductable and high liability coverages. I got $200 discount for paying full six month premium too. That is pretty good in my book.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
sometimes its the "masses" that the insurance company is worried about. Insuring you against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Ours USED to go down thanks to not having any offenses...and now, also without offense is going up. I call it FRAUD. Period. Car insurance should be charged by individual, and by individual MVR only, and not by the masses in certain areas, it is really not fair. No wonder so many choose not to have any. I can't blame them really.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 AM

315 posts, read 652,130 times
Does anyone have any numbers on percent of uninsured motorists in FL? I would think rates would go up because of population growth and higher risk of being hit as a result...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay