U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:46 AM

6 posts, read 14,482 times

Advertisements

Hello again, still doing lots of research on area to move into. Have a hard time choosing between Lutz and Fishhawk ranch.

Both seem to be great areas with good schools. We have children who are active in sports and my #1 priority is to live somewhere that will allow us to give them a great childhood in a close community. We work downtown so the drive seems to be the same....or is it?

any advice...PLEASE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
5,188 posts, read 5,843,919 times
Do consider that in Fishhawk you are going to find a very socially stratified environment, that is, your "place" will be determined a great deal by what neighborhood you live in.

Say what you like, but there is a very clearly defined caste system in the Fishhawk area - that's not to say that people are overtly snobby or not nice - it's just that your choice of homes/neighborhood will define the social circles you might circulate in.

This is from direct experience, and one of the primary reasons we chose not to buy/build in Fishhawk.

It is a nice area, I'll say that. The one thing that I always chuckle about is how someone remarked to my son one day about how a particular neighborhood was "ghetto", if that's even possible... that's the sort of mindset you may encounter if you go there.

RM

Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 AM

13 posts, read 26,392 times
mortonr, i'm also interested in fishhawk and stumbled on this thread...would you mind elaborating more about which areas the kids might call ghetto? i realize not to take the word literally, but just wondering which neighborhoods are less favorable--do i just judge by home size/price?

Old 05-10-2012, 04:35 AM

16 posts, read 33,202 times
Default fishhawk

We are also looking to retire in Florida and are looking at the Fish Hawk area. We have children who would love the area but are woried about this whole "rank" thing. If we move there it will certainly be at the lower end of the spectrum. Is it even worth it? We're also looking at the Ruskin area, its closer to the ocean and less expensive. However, it doesn't have as many amenities as Fish Hawk. Anyone know anything about the Ruskin area?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:52 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,296,034 times
I haven't spent anytime by the Fishhawk Ranch but I am a little surprised at a 'Rank' structure.

If you are moving into the area, I recommend checking out the high schools and the size. While you may want to have the kids play in all sports, if you go to some of these big high schools they may only be able to play in one, then do Recreation League for the others. It's just the nature of competition. More kids, the more difficult the competition to make the team. That said, no reason a young superstar athlete can't do more than one.

The city recreation centers definately get thier use. They are going to build a new one East of Wiregrass Mall since the others get used so much.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 AM

24,171 posts, read 37,987,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader23 View Post
We are also looking to retire in Florida and are looking at the Fish Hawk area. We have children who would love the area but are woried about this whole "rank" thing. If we move there it will certainly be at the lower end of the spectrum. Is it even worth it? We're also looking at the Ruskin area, its closer to the ocean and less expensive. However, it doesn't have as many amenities as Fish Hawk. Anyone know anything about the Ruskin area?
Ruskin is not the nicest area in general though there are some nicer subdivisions on the west side near I-75. You might also look into Apollo Beach just to the north.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:03 AM

50 posts, read 86,123 times
I have to agree with Morton. We are currently renting in Fishhawk. We live in the first phase & I love our house & the neighborhood. However, my oldest daughter told me that the kids in school refer to it as the "ghetto". Also, be careful if you buy in Fishhawk. The HOA is nutty. One of our neighbors recently sold their home. The HOA held up the closing. They had sent a letter asking the homewoner to repaint their mailbox. The homeowner did not do it, so the HOA put a lein against the home! We've also received a letter to repaint our mailbox, along with a recommended company to use. I called the company the HOA recommends & they charge $315 to repaint mailboxes! We plan to buy within the next year(still trying to sell our home up north!). Fishhawk is not on our list.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:33 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,676,767 times
$315 to paint a mailbox? Man, I should go put fliers on all the doors in FishHawk and offer to paint mailboxes for the bargain price of $175 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmac View Post
I have to agree with Morton. We are currently renting in Fishhawk. We live in the first phase & I love our house & the neighborhood. However, my oldest daughter told me that the kids in school refer to it as the "ghetto". Also, be careful if you buy in Fishhawk. The HOA is nutty. One of our neighbors recently sold their home. The HOA held up the closing. They had sent a letter asking the homewoner to repaint their mailbox. The homeowner did not do it, so the HOA put a lein against the home! We've also received a letter to repaint our mailbox, along with a recommended company to use. I called the company the HOA recommends & they charge $315 to repaint mailboxes! We plan to buy within the next year(still trying to sell our home up north!). Fishhawk is not on our list.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
5,188 posts, read 5,843,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springmac View Post
Fishhawk is not for everyone, however, I hold up the post above as evidence of my earlier comments.

I don't live in Fishhawk, but I know a number of people who do, and I used to have a job that had me responsible for all of the schools in the area, so I know the locals and what they experience.

What is considered "ghetto" would make most of us laugh, as these are beautiful, well maintained homes in a very nice community. That being said, the comment goes back to the very clearly defined (by many residents) caste system that exists in this area. I, for one, could care less what others think as long as it does not infringe on my rights. But - if I had school age children, there would be some concerns about this on my part for two reasons - that my children would be castigated for where they live, or worse yet, that they embrace this snobbish class system that implies one is better or worse based on where they live.

Fishhawk is a really nice community and has a lot of wonderful amenities. The schools are truly first class and would be difficult to match anywhere else in the county. Yes, the HOA is moderately psycho, but this has some benefit to you as an owner. Look at the benefits of living there and paying the over $2000/year CDD fees versus purchasing the services separately.

I seriously considered purchasing a townhouse in the center of the area a couple of years ago, but decided against it for many of the reasons listed above. That doesn't mean it's a bad place, but that any potential buyer know and understand what they are entering into if they purchase a home there.

Like the previous poster, it might be best to rent if you can to get a feel for the area and see how it suits you before you commit....

RM

Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,903,803 times
Fishhawk ghetto? LoL...

To the OP: Fishhawk and Lutz could not be any more different. Fishhawk is a planned community built over the last 10-15 years or so out of what was absolutely nothing, farm land and swamp. Lutz is an old town built in the 1800's and parts of it were built up in the 70's and 80's, old industries there were citrus, lumber, cattle

Fishhawk = new, sterile, suburban, zero lot line new homes, traffic is a nightmare, more amenities in Brandon, if you dont mind taking 30-45 minutes to drive 10 miles.
Lutz = more rural, bigger lots, many with acerage in non-planned communities, older, traffic is not an issue. Few amenities without driving some
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay