U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,101,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Many of those high rises on Bayshore are senior communities. How are you at shuffleboard and bridge, rthqmark?
many of everything around here are filled with old people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 04:18 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,616,270 times
if u r someone who wants to participate in the Howard Ave bar/club scene then i would look in SoHo where u can walk to the party scene. You will also meet more people in your age group looking to socialize in this area. Doubt you want to live amongst military brass and older lawyers/doctors as a single dude looking for action.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM

239 posts, read 701,188 times
Move to Channelside. You can get to anywhere you want to go in minutes. It's a little removed from yelling and people stumbling around your house.

It's packed with hot girls, a great pool scene, and you can get a really, really nice place for the money you have to spend.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 AM

420 posts, read 789,330 times
I'm not a big fan of Grand Central and definitely avoid Seaport. Follow Chi-tino's advice regarding Harbour Island. I live in Hyde Park and you will definitely be able to find something within your range. I would shoot for a townhome to have my own space. Hyde Park is great- there really isn't a reason to leave the area unless you really want to. That being said, I'm increasingly attracted to downtown and would readily move there. I think downtown is increasing it's character and becoming a great place to live. The Element or Skypoint would be my choices.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
I'm not a big fan of Grand Central and definitely avoid Seaport. Follow Chi-tino's advice regarding Harbour Island. I live in Hyde Park and you will definitely be able to find something within your range. I would shoot for a townhome to have my own space. Hyde Park is great- there really isn't a reason to leave the area unless you really want to. That being said, I'm increasingly attracted to downtown and would readily move there. I think downtown is increasing it's character and becoming a great place to live. The Element or Skypoint would be my choices.

Why avoid Seaport? I lived there for a year, and loved it. Good people, great pool scene. Everyone I ran into was more than willing to make friends with the new guy.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 AM

26 posts, read 58,912 times
There are a few places South of the gates on Harbour Island I would bypass altogether. My girlfriend and I had looked at a couple places back there and unless you're on the water or need the extra security it doesn't matter which side of the gates you live on. We were looking to purchase and looked at a couple places. Our realtor kept touting South of the gates. We looked at Harbour Court, it just felt like a retirement home, low ceilings too. We looked at Harbour Homes but the floor plans weren't very open, having a yard was nice though and the landscaping was beautiful. We saw a lot of older people back there and didn't really see many younger couples. Most stuff back there we looked at was a bit dated. That being said, I've lived on Harbour Island for two years and love it. Its green, its pretty, its safe, and its quiet.

We recently just end up buying a place in Channelside though. It's got that newer more urban feel we're looking for and a much younger crowd. It's still a growing community but the potential is there.

Check out The Place in Channelside. I have some friends that live there in one of the larger 2 bedrooms, I think it runs them around 1800 a month. Renting in Grand Central I guess wouldnt be bad, the kitchens are really nice. I looked at some places there about two years ago, a couple foreclosures. The units were trashed though. I wouldn't want to own there I hear the place is plagued with problems. Their HOA's are ridiculous. Skypoint is a beautiful building in the middle of everything but the units are on the small side. Hyde Park is awesome. Just had some friends move down to the SoHo area.

The best tip I can give you is get a realtor and rent from an owner. You try to get a good landlord, negotiate rent, be a great tenant and you're less likely to have your rent raised at the end of your lease.

I'd stay away from the Element, Seaport, Post Harbour Island, Post Hyde Park, any place that is 100% rentals. I'm not saying that these places are bad by any means. Just that you're not gonna get the bang for your buck. There are some really awesome lofts in channelside that every once in a blue moon go up for rent from private owners.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 AM

420 posts, read 789,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Why avoid Seaport? I lived there for a year, and loved it. Good people, great pool scene. Everyone I ran into was more than willing to make friends with the new guy.
A few friends of mine moved there and counted down the days until their leases were up. There's nothing wrong with it (aside from the design flaws that has neighbors looking directly into each others windows in some areas), it is just a very young crowd with many college kids living there. It's fine if that's what you're looking for but I think the OP is looking for something a bit more mature that is removed from dorm-living.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:47 AM

3,928 posts, read 10,732,238 times
For another option, look at ParkSIDE (not ParkCREST as was already mentioned). IMO, it's in a great location and a little more upscale. That said, I don't understand what's the big deal about being within walking distance to everything. A cab ride from UT to Ybor is only 3 bucks and under 10 minutes.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRays813 View Post
A few friends of mine moved there and counted down the days until their leases were up. There's nothing wrong with it (aside from the design flaws that has neighbors looking directly into each others windows in some areas), it is just a very young crowd with many college kids living there. It's fine if that's what you're looking for but I think the OP is looking for something a bit more mature that is removed from dorm-living.

I guess I got lucky. Yeah, if you had a courtyard view, your life needed curtains

My hall was 2 doctors, 2 consultants, a retiree, me (another consultant), and a group of engineering students.

I'm 33 and fit right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: