U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 PM

5 posts, read 8,637 times

Advertisements

Well this is my first time doing this so I'm hoping it will help. I currently live in New Tampa and can't stand it as there is nothing to do here. I am 29 years old and looking for a place to move in downtown Tampa. I will be looking for a 2 bedroom between 1500-2400 a month depending on what I can find. I would like to find a modern place with young professionals in a great area. I own a house here but will be renting that out within a month so need to move quick. I was thinking at first Harbour Island but I'm not sure if that will be ideal from what I am reading. Any advice would be appreciated....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,536,139 times
Why on earth do you want to live downtown?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,065,185 times
Don't listen to the above contributor -- it is just a bitter shut-in who hates everything about Tampa Bay.

Harbour Island would be a good fit if you want to be able to walk to places while having a buffer from the undesirable elements of downtown (noise, homeless people urinating on your car, etc). With that kind of budget I would look at one of the more upscale condos, like Harbour Court. Don't be snookered by the lower prices at ParkCrest, it's really just a glorified dorm.

If you have any specific questions about properties, post them here or send me a message. I've either owned or been involved with the condo boards of several properties on Harbour Island.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:43 AM

13,768 posts, read 35,360,019 times
What about Hyde Park or SoHo? You would be close to Downtown but not 'in' downtown. There is also Channelside.

There are some really nice (newer) apts in SoHo unless you really want to live in a condo.
There are also some nice small apts off of Bayshore including some garage apts.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 AM

Sorry I just group that whole area as downtown. I actually was going to look at condo in Parkcrest tomorrow so thanks for the heads up. I am open to any areas such as Harbour Island, Bayshore, SoHO, Channelside or anywhere. I have read about apartments at The Element and Skypoint...what do you think about these? I run a business from home so I would like to meet people around my age in these areas. Also, I need either a garage or a place where my car will be secure...Thanks for all the help...so frustrating

Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 AM

Think of it this way -- it's not as frustrating as it was in 2005/2006, when everyone thought that real estate values would go up by 25%/year forever and charged accordingly.

The only issue with Element/Skypoint depends on your desire to be in the middle of a downtown area that turns into a ghost town after 5 pm.

Bayshore and SoHo are great ideas, but parking is less secure and you will still need to drive everywhere. There is something to be said about being able to walk to Lightning games and Forum events. Again, I would look "beyond the gates" on Harbour Island, where it is extremely secure and you will get your own spot and/or garage and a higher level of amenities. Some of these are very high-end properties and may not be available for rent or in your price range. The only downside perhaps is that they are extremely private and you may not find much if any social environment within the condo community. This is where Tampa's lawyers, doctors, financiers, military brass and people with real money live (as opposed to ParkCrest, where a large % of residents are college students renting the units).

Harbour Island. A residential community in Tampa, Florida

Harbour Court
Harbour Bay Townhomes
Harbour Homes
The Keys
Harbour Side Townhomes

Show me someone who complains about these properties ("why on earth would you want to live downtown?") and I will show you someone who has never visited the south part of HI.

I should also mention the The Grandview and The Plaza are also excellent properties, but use public parking lots.

Contact me with any other questions.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 AM

Thanks for your quick response. What would be your top 7 choices to look at? It would be nice to walk everywhere but if I have to drive 5 minutes it's not a big deal for me as my drive now is 4 minutes to get anywhere. I figure I will go look at apartments in Grand Central, Element, and Mosaic. What do you think of 345 Bayshore? Are there any other high end apartments you would look at that would be good to meet people around my age and are nice (the place, not the people......) This will not be a long term thing for years but more to see how I like it.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,089,640 times
if i were willing to shell out massive dough, i'd rent something on harbor island or one of the high rises on bayshore.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
if i were willing to shell out massive dough, i'd rent something on harbor island or one of the high rises on bayshore.
Many of those high rises on Bayshore are senior communities. How are you at shuffleboard and bridge, rthqmark?

Old 02-14-2012, 01:19 PM

LOL...I don't think my shuffleboard game is up to par to compete with the others...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: