U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:03 AM

3,747 posts, read 5,327,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by customer1984 View Post
What happened here? I was looking for true reviews of this company. I am currently building with West Bay and let's just say it has not been a pleasant experience. Most of the people have been correct when they said between the sales team and the design center nobody talks. the sales person who I originally spoke with seemed to know little about what came with the house and where things would be located if added on to the house. But yet still gave me an answer so to not look ignorant about the situation. I was looking at a lot that would have been the last house on a dead end street and was told that they would not be building the road through, well lets just say I'm glad I did not choose that lot because 2 weeks later they built the road through. It is very hard to get someone to call you back and to get someone to keep you informed of the progress of your house. Was told my start date for construction was the 28th of September and we are now on day 4 with nothing stated but hey I'm keeping faith that something will start by the end of the week.
OMG, I thought I just read about another builder!!!
It's word to word! Exactly! But wait until closing office representing the builder will kick in - it's another story - NOBODY talk to each other, employees come and go all the time..

Personal advice - don't try to follow their schedule. Just relax. They will be constantly off.
As for the future plans - always look at the master plan of the entire community - it's recorded on county web site - you can see all roads and future home sites.

Another advice - take pictures of everything you selected in design center (both color at the front and back side for color name), go and check everything according to the plans. DONT assume if it shows on the plans it will be done at your house!

Last edited by EngGirl; 10-01-2015 at 09:08 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 01:38 PM

676 posts, read 1,197,896 times
Quote:
What happened here? I was looking for true reviews of this company. I am currently building with West Bay and let's just say it has not been a pleasant experience. Most of the people have been correct when they said between the sales team and the design center nobody talks. the sales person who I originally spoke with seemed to know little about what came with the house and where things would be located if added on to the house. But yet still gave me an answer so to not look ignorant about the situation. I was looking at a lot that would have been the last house on a dead end street and was told that they would not be building the road through, well lets just say I'm glad I did not choose that lot because 2 weeks later they built the road through. It is very hard to get someone to call you back and to get someone to keep you informed of the progress of your house. Was told my start date for construction was the 28th of September and we are now on day 4 with nothing stated but hey I'm keeping faith that something will start by the end of the week.
Where are you building? Our home was built by Westbay two years ago in Mirabay. I am almost 100 % satisfied with it.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:42 PM

27,089 posts, read 44,423,352 times
Quote:
You are not represented than you have to make sure you are on top of everything yourself and go line by line if everything you pay for is what you get.

My advise will be to hire a home inspector to inspect every step of the way as we closed on 3 deals in the last 6 weeks with 3 different builders and all three wished they had hired an inspector during the process to check on every step of the way.

We ourselves bought many new built homes over the years but from what we see now has made us rethink not having an inspector for a new home to be built!

It seems builders have a difficult time to get good contractors and we heard that different contractors are doing work they have no experience with and we even heard of a person having to pour and mix concrete and never done it in his life. That happened recently.
In all closings many items came up and one hired an inspector on the day of closing as they wanted to back out since the builder didn't want to fix a clear issue but after a mold inspector and home inspector came in it finally was going to be fixed.

Don't ask me for the names of the builders as for different reasons at this time I won't disclose it as there are still many items that need to be fixed.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:00 AM

3,747 posts, read 5,327,728 times
Please please please BE CAREFULL hiring an inspector for new construction home!!! I personally interviewed at least 10 highly recommended inspectors (good reviews only, friends recommendations, you name it) - none of these 10... NONE! were capable of really inspecting anything. You better off finding someone who used to work for the builder and go with this person instead. But it must be someone fresh because building codes are changing frequently...

Any builder would require a proof of insurance up to certain $$, license info for the inspector. All concerns must be listed siting the building codes builder violated, so the watery phrases most inspectors are using will not cut it. Just do yourself a favor before spending any $$ on inspector for new construction home and test these inspectors with simple questions. I guarantee you 99.9% will have to clue what you are asking them for!

Hiring standard inspector who has no experience with builders (representing the builders) is a total WASTE of money. Yes, it will help you sleep better at night, but it will be a fake feeling.

Sure enough someone will be arguing with me by saying it just happened I picked "bad apples".

I recently witnessed how Pasco County inspector picked some incompliance for new construction home and made builder correct it.

P.S. If you are building a new home, take a lot of pictures during all phases of construction. Videotape your walk through at each phase. Take measurements and record everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay