U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 PM

114 posts, read 228,148 times

Advertisements

Within the next few months I'd like to purchase a small, inexpensive (under $60k) home in decent repair, not in shambles nor in a danger zone (I have quite a bit of music gear worth about $5k, so the less robberies the better). It's not our settle down home, but I think I'd like it to be our home base for much of our young adulthood. My girlfriend and I would like to buy the home with the aim of renting out rooms to make some money while we work and go to school. I understand we're young and buying a home is a big commitment, but I've had amazing credit since before I could drive and I would consider myself a financially responsible young person. I've done number crunching, and in a home under $60K I would be paying as much or less than I am paying now for rent and utilities per month.

We are both 22 years old and like nightlife, culture, and activities; but not necessarily "high art" (we'd prefer a killer hot dog stand over a trendy martini bar and a "home-like" bar with quirks over a rave party). I'm a music student and she's an art student so we like that aspect of the county.

I am currently renting in the Kenwood neighborhood in St. Pete, and I like the feel there. I haven't ventured to the northern part of the county in years, the farthest north I go is Pinellas Park because I work there. I was wondering if I'd get more bang for my buck and more of a city-feel in Clearwater, St. Pete, or another area? I understand that this isn't NY, Philly, or Boston so I won't get what the transplants describe as a "city feel," but I'd like to be able to walk to my favorite bar, take a drive to the beach, and go indulge in local music, food, and beer when it's not "bill paying week."

So, once again, where should I start looking, Clearwater, St. Pete, or somewhere in the middle? I understand both have pros and cons, but I'd like to hear from residents of both areas on where I get more for my money in Pinellas County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,080,477 times
Kenwood's not a bad place to start. You could start heading up the 4th St corridor, but I'm not sure how far $60k will go unless you are looking at doing some rehab work on a short sale/foreclosure.

Another point to consider: Kenwood is also a great location because it is a very cheap cab ride from downtown. Trying to drive from downtown St Pete to northern Pinellas after a very late night is a chaotic road rally of drunk drivers and the cops trying to apprehend them, and a $10k DUI is probably not going to help your budget, either.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM

4,347 posts, read 6,129,620 times
Stay away from Clearwater- nothing really goes on there other than the occasional musical event. Even little ol' Dunedin has way more going than Clearwater.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 03-05-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 05:43 PM

663 posts, read 1,020,068 times
Gulfport may fit your needs

Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 PM

34 posts, read 57,486 times
Yeah I have lived in Clearwater for almost 20 years and there is very little going on here... I am bored out of my mind! I am in my early 30's and feel like an old person, because there is nothing for me to do around here. You can only go to the beach so many times... St. Pete or Tampa are probably your best bets!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 PM

34 posts, read 57,486 times
I did forget to mention Dunedin. That is a pretty cool little town. Main St has lots of good restaurants, some bars, etc. It is close to the water. And Indian Rocks Beach is a good area to check out here in Pinellas County.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,594,568 times
Clearwater blows. I would stay in or around Kenwood. North County is unremarkable except for Downtown Dunedin and Downtown Tarpon.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,589,391 times
Stay away from Pinellas Park, Largo, Clearwater, Kenneth City and Lealman. And it goes without saying, anywhere in South St. Pete. I also would not live in Gulfport due to it's proximity to the hood.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 AM

6,729 posts, read 7,447,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Stay away from Pinellas Park, Largo, Clearwater, Kenneth City and Lealman. And it goes without saying, anywhere in South St. Pete. I also would not live in Gulfport due to it's proximity to the hood.
I was going to suggest Gulfport my son attends Stetson Law and he has rented some really lovely condos on a golf course and you could probably get some good deals now!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:24 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,594,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I was going to suggest Gulfport my son attends Stetson Law and he has rented some really lovely condos on a golf course and you could probably get some good deals now!
Gulfport's fine once you're away from 49th Street (which divides Gulfport from St. Pete).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay