Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 09:06 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat_popsicle View Post
Yes, the school sucks because the students suck. It's totally their fault and the teachers should bear no responsibility. I mean after all that's your argument here, which is the complete opposite of true.

You're doing some next-level trolling here.

What you may find true may differ from reality. If you had 2 staffs of equal ability and put one set
in an inner city school and the other set in a middle class school what do you think the results would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 AM

325 posts, read 441,538 times
It is far better to remain silent and appear ignorant,
Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,922 times
Well said...sounds like a fortune cookie...but very true...

Old 09-02-2014, 11:00 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If you have kids, that could be a concern. Not everyone as made that mistake.

A school is only as good as the students in it.

Spring Hill Schools | FL - Ratings and Map of Public and Private Schools
Not sure having kids is a mistake...lol...but having good schools attracts a better educated home buyers that in turn pulls a better demographic into an area...everyone wins if the schools are highly rated...not just those with children...

Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Not sure having kids is a mistake...lol...but having good schools attracts a better educated home buyers that in turn pulls a better demographic into an area...everyone wins if the schools are highly rated...not just those with children...
the point is you can have a top rated school with the best teachers in the nation but that is not going to cause children to learn if they are not capable of learning.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:58 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,372 times
Quote:
the point is you can have a top rated school with the best teachers in the nation but that is not going to cause children to learn if they are not capable of learning.
Did you actually say having kids is a mistake ? Guess that makes you a mistake as well as you were once a kid lol ...

And what do you think makes a teacher top-rated ? Could it be the ability to drag the best out of kids, even the ones you claim are not capable of learning ? Better teachers & administrators make better schools which in turn foster a better learning experience for the kids within.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Default .

In a way, yes I was. I wasnt planned. Also I was a kid and I have had the opportunity to see my friends raise their kids (though my wife and I decided before our marriage to stay childless) some with more success than others. There are many reasons for our choice and several of those reasons set down 35 years ago have already transpired.

The stability of the world has been precarious since the end of WWII. The U.S. is currently involved in 74 wars around the world. These wars have drained our economy and has sucked away any chance of progress of society. There is no answer to the Iraq situation or any terrorist situation. We cannot eliminate the threats against our way of life. Even if the entire northern section of Iraq were blown back to the prehistoric period it still wouldnt be done with but would certainly be met with like force. We did not learn from our experience in Vietnam. When people are dedicated to a cause nothing but death will deter them.

Diseases, once contained and under control have broken through our barriers. Even diseases formally eradicated are coming back. Man-kind itself is eating itself from within. The poverty around the world, the rising of societies who demand our demise is uncontrollable. People now kill others at the drop of a hat. They need no reason at all. This not only in America but around the world. The continued existence of our food supply is in question and water has already become a commodity. Looking ahead 20-25 years clean drinkable water is will become more scarce as the human population grows and climate change continues. Let's not even talk about the effects of pollution to our oceans and air.

Every child born after 1970 is in for some major corrections that are very much going to make their lives miserable.

I think what makes a teacher top-rated is one that has the skills to be able to light the fire for the quest of knowledge in the children. For too many this fire never glowed. There will always be a portion of children who cant learn due to genetics, life situations and the lack of interest in them by their parents.

You cant administer your way to better teachers. It has to come from within the people who choose that occupation. It used to exist, but like so many other facets of life it has gone astray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Did you actually say having kids is a mistake ? Guess that makes you a mistake as well as you were once a kid lol ...

And what do you think makes a teacher top-rated ? Could it be the ability to drag the best out of kids, even the ones you claim are not capable of learning ? Better teachers & administrators make better schools which in turn foster a better learning experience for the kids within.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
In a way, yes I was. I wasnt planned. Also I was a kid and I have had the opportunity to see my friends raise their kids (though my wife and I decided before our marriage to stay childless) some with more success than others. There are many reasons for our choice and several of those reasons set down 35 years ago have already transpired.

The stability of the world has been precarious since the end of WWII. The U.S. is currently involved in 74 wars around the world. These wars have drained our economy and has sucked away any chance of progress of society. There is no answer to the Iraq situation or any terrorist situation. We cannot eliminate the threats against our way of life. Even if the entire northern section of Iraq were blown back to the prehistoric period it still wouldnt be done with but would certainly be met with like force. We did not learn from our experience in Vietnam. When people are dedicated to a cause nothing but death will deter them.

Diseases, once contained and under control have broken through our barriers. Even diseases formally eradicated are coming back. Man-kind itself is eating itself from within. The poverty around the world, the rising of societies who demand our demise is uncontrollable. People now kill others at the drop of a hat. They need no reason at all. This not only in America but around the world. The continued existence of our food supply is in question and water has already become a commodity. Looking ahead 20-25 years clean drinkable water is will become more scarce as the human population grows and climate change continues. Let's not even talk about the effects of pollution to our oceans and air.

Every child born after 1970 is in for some major corrections that are very much going to make their lives miserable.
Wow, I'm glad most of the people I know and hang with don't have your doomsday view of the world. Most of your comments belong in a political or historical forum and are not about whether having kids is a mistake or not. Not sure why you are stating your view of the current world if you made your "kidless" decision 35 years ago. I have yet to meet a married couple yet who didn't have kids for your aforementioned reasons. Usually it was for financial or medical reasons ...

And the world was not stable before WWII lest you forget WWI, the rise of Hitler and the Great Depression and many conflicts that arose much earlier. We came out fine after all of those situations and will do so again. But all of this is certainly off-topic ...

Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Wow, I'm glad most of the people I know and hang with don't have your doomsday view of the world. Most of your comments belong in a political or historical forum and are not about whether having kids is a mistake or not. Not sure why you are stating your view of the current world if you made your "kidless" decision 35 years ago. I have yet to meet a married couple yet who didn't have kids for your aforementioned reasons. Usually it was for financial or medical reasons ...

And the world was not stable before WWII lest you forget WWI, the rise of Hitler and the Great Depression and many conflicts that arose much earlier. We came out fine after all of those situations and will do so again. But all of this is certainly off-topic ...
Most of the people I know dont buy my story either, but that is there choice.

The "current world" I refer to is the world since about 1948 to present. Each year it just got deeper and deeper. After WWII the world's problems were solved. Our economy skyrocketed. The countries destroyed in the war were rebuilt. Times were great during the 1950's while society rode the wave of progress and good times. Thus the baby boom.

Notice how it turned the other way after the 1960's started and remains on that downward slide into the abyss.

Look at it this way: I have had the same thoughts since I was about 12. I saw a decline in the world from when I was 6 and onward. The point is I never wanted to hear my daughter say "daddy, if you knew it was going to get so bad why did you have me?". That is one question I never ever wanted to hear.

In the early 80's my answer to secure the boarders was to build two very tall walls. A space in between called "no man's land". With armed guards in towers spaced out the correct distance to ensure a prefect cross fire. Anybody in "no man's land" would be obliterated. No more border problems. We started the project in 2006. 20 years after I spoke of it.

You'd be amazed at some of my predictions that have come to be. It drives my wife crazy when I tell her "I told you that was coming a long time ago". She understood my thinking then and agreed with it. Now we are living it. Car jackings, crack epidemic, decline of the U.S. as a whole, war in the middle east, economic strife, saw all of it vividly a long time ago. Sometimes I feel I am like Nostradamus. I preached it but I never wrote it down. My friends still dont understand how I knew. Either do I.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Look at it this way: I have had the same thoughts since I was about 12. I saw a decline in the world from when I was 6 and onward. The point is I never wanted to hear my daughter say "daddy, if you knew it was going to get so bad why did you have me?". That is one question I never ever wanted to hear.
If things were great now, I think you'd be jumping on that bandwagon as well. Anyone can predict things are going to get worse. There are only 3 choices - better, the same, or worse. You have a little better than 33% chance of being right. And you're full of sinkhole dirt if you claim to have seen a world decline from the age of 6.
To claim that as a reason not to have a child is an excuse as you really didn't know 35 years ago what direction the world was going in.

Quote:
In the early 80's my answer to secure the boarders was to build two very tall walls. A space in between called "no man's land". With armed guards in towers spaced out the correct distance to ensure a prefect cross fire. Anybody in "no man's land" would be obliterated. No more border problems. We started the project in 2006. 20 years after I spoke of it.
I'm sure lots of school kids in the 80s drew pictures of a wall between the U.S. and Mexico to prevent Mexicans from escaping their plight to America. Hardly an innovative idea ...

Quote:
You'd be amazed at some of my predictions that have come to be. It drives my wife crazy when I tell her "I told you that was coming a long time ago". She understood my thinking then and agreed with it. Now we are living it. Car jackings, crack epidemic, decline of the U.S. as a whole, war in the middle east, economic strife, saw all of it vividly a long time ago. Sometimes I feel I am like Nostradamus. I preached it but I never wrote it down. My friends still dont understand how I knew. Either do I.
Did you predict 9-11 as well ? Let us know when your next book of predictions hits Amazon ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay