U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 PM

184 posts, read 188,864 times

Advertisements

Hi there, can anyone tell me how the economy is doing in Tampa bay right now? Are there jobs being created? I would love to move off Long Island in hopes of a better less stressed life like i have here on Long Island.. I am in my 40's now and cannot take New York like i did when i was in my 20's. Tired of the rude people here. It gets to you after a while..
Any insight and advice would be great.
Thank you so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 AM

3,928 posts, read 10,978,991 times
The Tampa Bay economy is currently showing signs of improvement but it's very slow moving growth. Will it continue to improve? No one knows. The population has increased slightly, some jobs have been created, and the housing inventory is down due to increased demand. While this sounds positive, most of the new jobs are entry level positions in call centers with low wages and few benefits. The residental sales housing market has been offset by the massive building of new apartment communities to accommodate displaced homeowners and those fearful of buying in the down market.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:04 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,281,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer232 View Post
Hi there, can anyone tell me how the economy is doing in Tampa bay right now? Are there jobs being created? I would love to move off Long Island in hopes of a better less stressed life like i have here on Long Island.. I am in my 40's now and cannot take New York like i did when i was in my 20's. Tired of the rude people here. It gets to you after a while..
Thank you so much.

What type of job? Like TampaKaren stated there are some jobs but so much depends on what you are looking for. You will take a pay cut but then no income tax and housing prices are much lower. Property taxes are higher than some states but nothing compared to LI.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 AM

7 posts, read 14,095 times
I moved to St. Pete from Long Island 3 years ago and it's the best thing I ever did. The pace of life here is much more reasonable (I'm late 40s) and there's very little I miss. Not sure whether it means anything but the value of the house that I bought has continued to go up whereas the value of my friends'/family's houses on L.I. are on the downswing (according to Zillow). I used Maher as my moving company...they specialize in L.I. to Florida moves. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:49 AM

623 posts, read 1,215,815 times
Especially since LONG ISLAND has outrageous (and why?) property taxes.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:50 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,731,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
Especially since LONG ISLAND has outrageous (and why?) property taxes.
its primarily due to its proximity to Manhattan and the ability to make an outrageously high salary.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the good insight. Thanks also for telling me about maher. I am going to check them out. Yes Tampa bay is more relaxed. I actually would like to maybe have a cleaning business or buy storage units at auction. It seems to make decent money down there you need some sort of a business venture. Its hard making money down there working for someone.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,263,172 times
My neighbors that lives directly across the street from me own a cleaning business and do very well. I am not sure of thier clients, I never asked those questions, but they do enjoy it. Looks like you could live in just about any area down here and do quite well with what you are looking to do. Best of Luck!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM

53 posts, read 94,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer232 View Post
Thank you so much.
Obviously we are not neighbors! Lol because I, too am SicK of these rude & fake people that I am encountering! I thought I left HS a long time ago! Lol hubby wants to move to Tampa, am VERY nervous! Have been looking online as far as the market and well it's horrible across the board!

I know that the weather will be horrible most of the time in Florida (HOT & HUMID) but I think we'll be fine just looking towards the positive. Only hardship will be leaving my family/friends behind.

But hopefully we an give our kids a better life once we get out of here!

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2012, 04:43 PM

Default Hi

I heard the unemployment rate went down to 9% in Tampa today. Hopefully that is a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay