Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
No, it is not expensive.

Once again, I am amazed at the ignorance of Florida residents who have neither traveled to nor lived in a different state in their life.

Many states charge an annual fee based on the value of the vehicle or assess a personal property tax based on the vehicle's value. In addition, you are required to submit to an annual auto inspection, and if there is ANYTHING wrong with your car, you have to have it fixed immediately or NO TAG FOR YOU!

People who say "I wish we had auto inspections here" have never lived in a state where a low-level government employee can force you to drop a grand on repairs that may be as inconsequential as a little crack in your bumper or emissions that are slightly out of a very narrow govt-mandated range.

A new car in Indiana, for example, requires a biannual registration that can easily surpass $1,000. Yeah, and they have a state income tax, too.
I am going to disagree here because I think it is really expensive compared to the cost for a tag only a few years ago for new residents. I have lived in other states and it is more expensive in FL to get a tag now. If you have lived in FL for a several years then it doesn't affect you but to newcomers the cost is definitely an added expense to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 08:13 AM

329 posts, read 775,149 times
chi_tino when did indiana start doing a bi-annual registration on cars? the people we know there never heard of it, we left indiana in 2010 and they didnt have it then. also no inspections like some other states, virgina and texas come to mind

Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
No, it is not expensive.

Once again, I am amazed at the ignorance of Florida residents who have neither traveled to nor lived in a different state in their life.

Many states charge an annual fee based on the value of the vehicle or assess a personal property tax based on the vehicle's value. In addition, you are required to submit to an annual auto inspection, and if there is ANYTHING wrong with your car, you have to have it fixed immediately or NO TAG FOR YOU!

People who say "I wish we had auto inspections here" have never lived in a state where a low-level government employee can force you to drop a grand on repairs that may be as inconsequential as a little crack in your bumper or emissions that are slightly out of a very narrow govt-mandated range.

A new car in Indiana, for example, requires a biannual registration that can easily surpass $1,000. Yeah, and they have a state income tax, too.
Florida is very expensive to have your car registered when you first move here. I moved from NC where there is an annual safety/emmisions inspection and I had no problem paying the $30 fee. If you maintain your vehicle you won't have any problems. Florida has very dangerous roads, so I would welcome a state inspection. I would at least have the peace of mind knowing the idiot that is speeding by, weaving in and out of traffic on 275 in the rain has some tread left on his tires.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:21 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
There was inspections in FL years ago. They did away with it although I don't remember the exact reason but I can tell you it didn't make a lot of difference. Ppl would steal your sticker if their car couldn't pass inspection. It isn't the law abiding citizen who won't comply.
If your car did not pass they did give you an opportunity to get it fixed.

When I first moved to Tampa they charged me 'taxes' on my car value we brought into the state even in the 70s but it was nothing like it is now a days.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
There was inspections in FL years ago. They did away with it although I don't remember the exact reason but I can tell you it didn't make a lot of difference. Ppl would steal your sticker if their car couldn't pass inspection. It isn't the law abiding citizen who won't comply.
If your car did not pass they did give you an opportunity to get it fixed.

When I first moved to Tampa they charged me 'taxes' on my car value we brought into the state even in the 70s but it was nothing like it is now a days.
That's a good point. In NC the sticker was on the inside windshield so I don't think theft was ever an issue. I would still feel better if FL had an inspection, to protect us from people like this.

Raw Video: Man Tries to Stop Car With His Feet - YouTube

Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Florida is very expensive to have your car registered when you first move here. I moved from NC where there is an annual safety/emmisions inspection and I had no problem paying the $30 fee. If you maintain your vehicle you won't have any problems. Florida has very dangerous roads, so I would welcome a state inspection. I would at least have the peace of mind knowing the idiot that is speeding by, weaving in and out of traffic on 275 in the rain has some tread left on his tires.
You paid a tax on each car in NC so considering all the costs in NC it's still more expensive there. Maybe if you have a couple beat up cars with low value FL would be more expensive.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You paid a tax on each car in NC so considering all the costs in NC it's still more expensive there. Maybe if you have a couple beat up cars with low value FL would be more expensive.
That is correct. Depending on the situation you could pay more in taxes in NC, but as I stated you will pay a lot more in FL when you register your car for the 1st time. My post was a little off topic because I was really going more into the safety aspect and how I would prefer FL have a safety inspection. I personally would prefer to pay more in taxes or inspections in exchange for better and safer roads.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 AM

13 posts, read 30,759 times
[quote=chi_tino;20591721]No, it is not expensive.

quote]

I have lived in 4 states and have never paid this high an amount to register my car. Those other states required an inspection as well. The price here (because I was new to FL) was a couple hundred dollars higher than those other states.

Let's all be nice to one another!

Old 08-06-2012, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,186 times
I have heard that, along with the registration, you have to pay a 7% sales tax on whatever the vehicle is worth (this is ONLY for out-of-state vehicles being newly registered in FL from another state). So for example, if your car is worth $10,000, you would have to pay an additional $700 along with the registration fees. Is this accurate?

Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
We paid that without being an out of state vehicle when we bought one of our cars from the dealership.

Did not pay that for the other vehicle, which was purchased from a private owner from Autotrader.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstate23 View Post
I have heard that, along with the registration, you have to pay a 7% sales tax on whatever the vehicle is worth (this is ONLY for out-of-state vehicles being newly registered in FL from another state). So for example, if your car is worth $10,000, you would have to pay an additional $700 along with the registration fees. Is this accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: