Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times

Advertisements

You do have to pay a tax if you bring in a car from out of state. This is strictly for bringing a car into FL for the first time.

You bought it more than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased six months or more before being brought into Florida, Florida sales or use tax or local discretionary sales surtax do not apply. You'll need to show proof that you used it for six months or more in another state or jurisdiction.
You bought it less than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased and used less than six months in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the six percent Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax is required. However, that is offset by the sales tax you paid in the prior jurisdiction. For example, if you owe 6% to Florida, but you paid 4% to another state, you will only owe 2% to Florida.

Here is more info on other cost check here
//www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...fees-math.html

You can check here too
Florida DHSMV - New Residents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 03:36 AM

483 posts, read 1,221,783 times
What about if you moved to Florida, purchase a car here, and want to register it? I assume that qualifies for the initial registration fee?

And why the hell do the tags expire on your birthday? I have a birthday in a month... so that means I'd have to pay a year of registration, and then re-register in a month? That is by far the stupidest thing I've ever heard of when it comes to registering a vehicle. I can see why people leave their cars registered up north with stuff like this.

Please tell me this isn't the case.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:50 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
I find water to be expensive here and I find registering a vehicle here expensive as well. Everything else is less expensive. I will take the everything else lol. Two licenses and two tags cost me 1k. I guess that's better than the 12k I spent in property tax last year. Or the thousands we spent in state tax. Or the 40 cents more per gallon on gas. Or the 4k I spent in oil. Heck even energy is cheaper here.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:56 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
It depends on where you're coming from re: more or less expensive.

For us, insurance is higher on home and car (those hurricane rates!). Real estate taxes much higher here as our last home in AZ had historic tax exemption (50% reduction). Even without the historic tax reduction, our real estate taxes were cheaper there. Water/sewer/trash is lower than it was in AZ (we have well at FL house for irrigation system). Yes, income tax a big savings but every state and its cities have tax schemes that pay all the bills and those w/o income tax get it from some other tax. Electric bills higher here as most of the year we use some heat or some a/c (in AZ we were at 5600 feet and often used no heat, no a/c most of year).

For the 5 years immediately prior to our move to FL, we lived fulltime in Mexico, owned a home there. Our real estate taxes in Mexico were $110 per YEAR and our water bill was $100 per YEAR, so again, it all depends on where you're coming from as to whether it's cheaper in FL or not!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:37 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Just between my mortgage and my wife's state tax I save 19k a year. Add in oil,,gas,,,electric and car insurance and I am up around 25k a year without doing a dam thing. Also living in a brand new house that would cost me around 800k on LI with 18 to 25 k a year in property tax! Florida was a no brainer!!!!!

Old 08-07-2015, 12:04 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,783 times
I have a vehicle registered in Florida already. I bought another vehicle and went to register it, and they tried charging me the $200 fee for first-time Florida registration. I explained that I already paid this fee and have another vehicle with Florida plates, and the two DMV employees told me that you have to pay it every time you register a new car and don't have a plate to transfer.

The first time I registered a car, at another DMV, they told me that it is a one-time fee, and that once you have a vehicle in Florida, you don't need to pay it again. Which is it? Do you really have to pay this fee if you don't have a plate to transfer, even if you've already paid it once to register another car? I have gotten different replies from different DMV employees, and when I called they could not give me a straight answer on anything. One person said one thing, and then another person told me different. This has happened every time I've called. It seems like nobody has any idea what they're doing. If I did my job like that I would be fired.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:35 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
It's a first time fee if you don't have an existing registration to transfer. So if you buy a new car or buy a car from out of state you'll pay the $225 administration fee.

There are a few exemptions for it, but those are mainly related to military personnel or transfers within a family.

RM

Old 12-12-2015, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 813 times
I brought a car from someone but I'm selling it to somebody else how much will it cost me to transfer the title to my name so I can sign it off to the person

Old 12-12-2015, 08:47 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naishay View Post
I brought a car from someone but I'm selling it to somebody else how much will it cost me to transfer the title to my name so I can sign it off to the person
While I'm not totally understanding what you're describing, it sounds like you bought a car, didn't title it, and are not selling it to another individual.

If you're not a dealer, you'll have to title the car at minimum, which will cost around $85 as well as paying the sales tax on it.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: