Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weejee View Post
BTW, We looked into FACE as well and were enrolled, when we went to the open house it was so disorganized we thought we would let the school shake out their bugs before we subjected our son to their unpreparedness. (leave our options open for the future).

From what you have said it looks as if the new school is still working out things, The open house was the epitome of crushing disappointment, we were so hopeful.

I can't imagine having uprooted and then be faced with that kind of disappointment, I hope you all are doing ok.
As an educator, I need to know about the resources available in Hillsborough County in the case that I have to refer someone for services. If the FACE charter school is so "disorganized," I need to know why because I want whom I refer to receive the best services possible.What is wrong with FACE? In what form or fashion are they disorganized or lack structural problems? Why did you suffer "crushing dissapointment?"

Your input or anyone else who has dealt with FACE can please answer this question it would be very helpful. I thank you in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 13,829 times
Default tampa school

for high-functioning autistics - try Pepin Academy on Hillsborough Avenue

Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,448 times
Default FACE is a disaster!!

I had a child enrolled at FACE this year. I knew going in that there would be "growing pains", and I knew it would be a bumpy ride as the school got up and running. However, the end of the year finds FACE in no better shape than it was at the beginning of the year...and in some cases, much worse!!

Why?

1. The 8 to 1 ratio for low-functioning students DOES NOT WORK. One teacher and one aide for students who are non-verbal, behaviorally challenged, not potty trained, etc. is ludicrous! The 15 to 1 ratio for high-functioning students precludes much in the way of individualized attention.

2. Teacher turnover has been HORRIFIC.

3. Student attrition has been HUGE, although the administration continues to lie and claim that they've really not lost many students.

4. Several students were LOST by the staff this year, including mine.

5. The administration makes it almost impossible to reach them except via email. Calls are not returned on a timely basis (if at all).

6. Many students at the school are STILL waiting for their IEP's to be done and their eligibility to be completed!!

7. The teachers are not "well-qualified" as we were told they would be.

8. I have heard that at least one student was spanked, one student was "tied up", and MANY of the students regressed (especially due to the ridiculous teacher turnover, where some students had 3 or 4 different teachers in the first few months).

9. Many of the students are doing the same schoolwork they've previously done rather than being challenged with new work that's appropriate for them.

10. The behavioralist they hired for one of their campuses spent MONTHS working on FCAT's at a different campus. This is NOT what she was hired to do, nor does she have any expertise in this area. The students she was hired to serve did not benefit from her presence at all.

11. There is not sufficient campus security on any of their campuses, and nothing has been done to rectify the problems.

12. Teachers have been harrassed, bullied, and threatened by the administration. They're not permitted to interact with the parents, they're not permitted to tell the parents anything pertaining to the school, they can't share their personal phone numbers or emails, etc.

13. The school lies and sweeps all problems and issues under the rug.

There's so much more I could say, but hopefully this paints a picture for you of the Florida Autism Center for "Excellence". I would not recommend the school for anyone who loves their child.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,344 times
Default Autism resources, best school in hillsborough county?

If you know what I know you would get the hell out of florida as quick as you can. We moved there thinking the samething and needless to say I no longer live in florida. Stay away from Pepin Academy they only cater to very high functioning kids. Faces is a joke and the administration that runs it are a bunch of crooks all they care about in the money and the hillsborough county school district would rather tie you up in due process rather than actually work with you in educating your child. I wish I had spoke with a parent that's in the trenches instead of someone who worked for the school system before hand because we never would have moved there.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 5,262 times
Default tricked by face

i am a student who enrolled in the florida autism center of exellence...and trust me when i say it is not exellent...[mod].. [/mod] take my advice instead of going to face go to to another school...

Last edited by Keeper; 09-25-2008 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: sorry.. consumer complaint. send detail via DM

Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Try doing a search on this forum. We have had several threads on this topic that might help you.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,197 times
Default Shocked

I am shocked to hear all the negative feedback about FACE-tampa. My children went there last year and we are still here. There may be some disorganization however, my children love their teacher as do I! I find that my children have made so much progress it is unbelievable. They have really come a long way in such a short period of time! I think that the administration is friendly and helpful.

I saw some things being pointed out that are not true so let me touch on a few things here.

1. I have never heard of any abuse around that school.

2. I see many of the same staff members of last year. Turnover is not that bad.

3. The staff is that I have worked with are "well qualified" My teacher has an upper graduate degree.

4. I have seen the staff supports in the room and I have seen the behavioral analyst in my children's room observing as well as the director.

5. The ratio is 2 staff members per 8 children in some classrooms and 2 staff members per 12-15 children in intervention.

I think this is def. better than any county school I have seen!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,177 times
I agree! I think FACE is a great school! My child loves going there everyday! He is making progress and Im sure about the ratio's though. I actually think that the intervention class is the ones with the 2/8 ratio, not 2/15. I would like to touch on a previous blog. Here it is:

1. The 8 to 1 ratio for low-functioning students DOES NOT WORK. One teacher and one aide for students who are non-verbal, behaviorally challenged, not potty trained, etc. is ludicrous! The 15 to 1 ratio for high-functioning students precludes much in the way of individualized attention.---Not true. This is not the ratio's I have seen!

2. Teacher turnover has been HORRIFIC. I want the best teacher for my child, if that means getting rid of 10 people inorder to find the best than so be it!

3. Student attrition has been HUGE, although the administration continues to lie and claim that they've really not lost many students. I know that I see tons of the same children I saw last year! The school cant control its location and who's to say why some have left. People do move!
4. Several students were LOST by the staff this year, including mine. No staff member has lost my child nor any of his classmates. Lets look at the county schools and their treatment of children! And how long was this child "lost" for? With all the staff supports, I can hardly see them losing anyone!

5. The administration makes it almost impossible to reach them except via email. Calls are not returned on a timely basis (if at all). I find that they return all my calls timely. What is timely? Isnt that a matter of opinion? Hummm. Timely to me is within the week.

6. Many students at the school are STILL waiting for their IEP's to be done and their eligibility to be completed!! Lets look at the IEP's. Lets look at eligibility. What is the process? Who has to be involved? Lets not be quick to blame them when IM guessing that the county has to be involved and present for eligibility! Why dont we stop blaming FACE and ask the county how many staff memebers they have to help out FACE...Hummmm

7. The teachers are not "well-qualified" as we were told they would be. Again, do you have a standard of "well-qualified" I think my teacher knows how to teach the children and I see progress and my child is happy! All of the teachers have to meet the county standards so they are no worse than county teachers and being at a school with all autism makes them more knowledgeable than anyone else I know!

8. I have heard that at least one student was spanked, one student was "tied up", and MANY of the students regressed (especially due to the ridiculous teacher turnover, where some students had 3 or 4 different teachers in the first few months). You heard! LOL...rumors are funny. The rooms are well staffed and supervised. Im very involved and I have never seen or heard of such things!

9. Many of the students are doing the same schoolwork they've previously done rather than being challenged with new work that's appropriate for them. It seems that unless your looking at the child's IEP you dont know that they are doing the same school work.

10. The behavioralist they hired for one of their campuses spent MONTHS working on FCAT's at a different campus. This is NOT what she was hired to do, nor does she have any expertise in this area. The students she was hired to serve did not benefit from her presence at all. How many times do people get hired for a purpose and that changes as the need changes. Maybe thats where the need was for the moment. We are talking about people here not miracle workers!

11. There is not sufficient campus security on any of their campuses, and nothing has been done to rectify the problems. With the school being shared with other organizations how do you think campus security should work? Have you put any thought into this? How much money goes to security? I would rather the money go towards the teachers for materials. I feel very safe there.

12. Teachers have been harrassed, bullied, and threatened by the administration. They're not permitted to interact with the parents, they're not permitted to tell the parents anything pertaining to the school, they can't share their personal phone numbers or emails, etc. My teachers interacts with me just fine. My teacher tells me anything I want to know. Do teachers really want called on the weekends and evenings while they are home with their families? Some parents would call and talk for hours! I know that when I leave work, I dont want to have to go home just to keep working! Get real! Teachers need a life too! And I have my teachers email address!

13. The school lies and sweeps all problems and issues under the rug. I dont believe this either!

Sounds to me like someone just wanted to complain!

I love being at FACE and so does my son!

Old 10-11-2008, 07:31 PM

6 posts, read 22,061 times
My family moved to Florida from NJ in 1989 because we too heard that the school/health system was better in FL than in NJ.

My brother is now 29, with highly functioning autism. He went to Paul B. Stephens ESE Center in Clearwater/Pinellas county as well as Nina Harris school. With the help of a Waiver Support Coordinator, he lives in a small group home with other functioning adults and does community. He's very happy, well adjusted and fortunate to be receiving services from the state. I would recommend both schools, and from what I've read from other comments, recommend Pinellas county ESE programs over Hillsborough.

The bad news is that now the government has really cut back on services for the developmentally disabled - there are waiting lists, budget cuts, and the government is also trying to abolish Waiver Support Coordinators. I fear ugly times ahead.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 15,390 times
my son atteneded public schools in hills. for a short period of time. he went to one in valrico and seffner, seffner was much better, i did see improvements when he was there, and he is high functioning, but niether was up to par to schools in other parts of the country. if you are stuck in hills. i reccomend seffner if you are going with public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay