Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 08:29 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarynFla View Post
My family moved to Florida from NJ in 1989 because we too heard that the school/health system was better in FL than in NJ.

My brother is now 29, with highly functioning autism. He went to Paul B. Stephens ESE Center in Clearwater/Pinellas county as well as Nina Harris school. With the help of a Waiver Support Coordinator, he lives in a small group home with other functioning adults and does community. He's very happy, well adjusted and fortunate to be receiving services from the state. I would recommend both schools, and from what I've read from other comments, recommend Pinellas county ESE programs over Hillsborough.

The bad news is that now the government has really cut back on services for the developmentally disabled - there are waiting lists, budget cuts, and the government is also trying to abolish Waiver Support Coordinators. I fear ugly times ahead.

Best of luck to you and your family.
Paul B is a great school, and I'm glad your brother is doing well. However, I have one quibble-- if he was educated at Paul B and Nina Harris, and lives in a group home, that is not "highly functioning" autism. Kids in mainstream classes with minimal supports, adults who are working in regular jobs and even have spouses and children, people like Temple Grandin and John Elder Robison...that's high functioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 374 times
We moved to Hillsborough County from Tennessee. I will be utterly honest. I have not been able to find any progressive and inclusive school for my child who has classic autistic disorder. It is very upsetting to see that there are less than a handful autism focused schools and none is inclusive or progressive.
If I could I would love to move to West Coast or other areas up-north with more autism services. It is very difficult to be convinced that Florida offers up-to-date services for individuals with disabilities.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:02 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artserhat View Post
We moved to Hillsborough County from Tennessee. I will be utterly honest. I have not been able to find any progressive and inclusive school for my child who has classic autistic disorder. It is very upsetting to see that there are less than a handful autism focused schools and none is inclusive or progressive.
If I could I would love to move to West Coast or other areas up-north with more autism services. It is very difficult to be convinced that Florida offers up-to-date services for individuals with disabilities.
It doesn’t. For that matter, it does a lousy job for any child with a disability/IEP. If you had done your due diligence (assuming you didn’t) you would have discovered this.

As we used to say when I was in the schools, “Thank goodness for Mississippi/Alabama/Louisiana.” (Pick one.)

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay