Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,384 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move from Pennsylvania to the Tampa Bay Area. I have never liked PA because it doesn't fit my lifestyle. I love to be outdoors, and I can't stand cold weather of any kind. I love the beach, fishing, water activities, and most importantly riding street bikes, and dirt bikes. My ideal place to live would be a more rural area, within 30 mins. from Tampa, the beach, and the Croom riding area in Brooksville. I will have to rent out my current home in PA to come to Florida, but once it is sold, I would buy in the Tampa area, as long as everything goes to plan. I would like to buy a house in a more country area, with a decent sized yard, for less than $100k. I've been doing a lot of research on the housing market in the general Tampa Bay Area, and what I'm looking for doesn't seem unrealistic. I would like to get some advice from people who know the area, about what town would best suit my needs, based on the information that I have provided. Also, how is the job market looking for someone in sales, retail, and retail management? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:26 PM

10 posts, read 20,433 times
for what you describe I would think areas like Zephyrhills, Dade City, plant City would match your interests, job market is at all-time lows though, make sure you have a job offer before moving

Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 PM

38 posts, read 210,576 times
My advice since I moved last spring from michigan but orginally from nj. We also rented out home but that did not work out and we are now short selling it. I think wesley chapel or maybe brooksville. WEsley chapel has plenty of shopping in it. I know you will like it there. I live in trinity it is also nice. Good luck to you ! you will have a better feel of what you need when you get here. I can tell you that renting allows you to see what areas you like and dislike.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the info. guys. The job market definitely seems to be an issue out there. Tampa is around 10% unemployment according to the BLS, and Allentown is around 9%. However, my current metro area is a lot smaller than Tampa's, so I think that should at least level the playing field in the job market. Because of the size of the Tampa Bay Area, it might even be better job wise.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:41 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,075,204 times
Wesley Chapel will most likely provide the employment and the home for you. There's also a new hospital being built there and opening this year. The outlying area is rural. Moved here from central PA. Closest beach is about an hour away, depending on traffic.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
Wesley Chapel will most likely provide the employment and the home for you. There's also a new hospital being built there and opening this year. The outlying area is rural. Moved here from central PA. Closest beach is about an hour away, depending on traffic.
So how do you like it so far, coming from PA? I heard that homeowner's insurance can get pretty high. Is it a lot more reasonable if your not right on the coast?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,451,823 times
Wesley Chapel is definately a nice area. I don't think you will find what you are looking for though in Southern Pasco County (Wesley Chapel area). I second the Zephyrhills comment. Much more open land out that way. I just ran a quick search on the MLS feed and I found 183 properties listed between 50K and 100K. Hope this helps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay