Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

Since we lived in Tampa, I have to tell you that when I read it, It made me sick!

The nerve...what should the rest of us who can't make over $50k say to that? those of us who can't save a dime for retirement?! or college....It is INSULTING...flat out. These people are truly out of touch with the realities many others are facing.

There are 6 of us, and we never spend over $400 a month on food. I have to assume these ppl buy like pigs! Unreal!

I wished they did not mention Tampa considering that there is only a small patch that makes that kind of money there! Who said that if you make $100k you should splurge on Mai Tai!?? or a bigger house? and then complain you don't have enough? OMG our house there was 2600 square feet and we need an issue with the utilities! on $40k!!!! If we had an 1800 sqf house, our utilities would have been a joke, and affordable on a $17k income!

I am going to safely assume these articles are written purposely by people related to the medical industry to promote coronaries, and more clients for the medical facilities. Otherwise...these people need a salary decrease, and a reality check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
I'm not offended by this article at all. The title says "How to Earn $100,000 and Still Feel Poor" but the tone of her article is more like "How to Earn $100,000 and Not Feel Rich". She remembers a time when $100K was a rich man's salary. I remember that time as well. $100K used to mean the wife could stay home and raise the children, you could live in a great neighborhood, and your finances were never in doubt. The fact is that the dollar has been steadily devalued. Inflation is real. Housing, gas, education, groceries, etc. all cost much more than they used to.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:06 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Going to let you in on a little secret. If you are able to afford saving for retirement, carry full coverage and pay for kids' tuition... you are not poor.

First off, if you have a cash car that is worth less than $5K you should not carry full coverage (comp/coll). The numbers don;t make sense when you look at what you pay for it and what you would get paid if you total your car.

I'm not saying they shouldn't plan for their retirement. But you sure as heck shouldn't complain about it and state that you are poor because you are paying extra on your mortgage and putting money away for the future.

In my family the kids always had to pay for their own college. The trade here is, if you go to college you can stay living at home for free.

I think this guy needs to count his blessings on what he is able to do and realize he is in a much better position than the vast majority of America.
After re-reading, I guess I missed your point originally. not that they SHOULDNT do that but that poor people CANT do that, makes sense and I agree.

I agree that they poorly manage their money but I see their point as well that 100k doesnt get you as far as it used to. When I was growing up, my family had a lot more money to blow than we do now and were making about the same amount.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Sounds like they are middle-class to me.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,405 times
I dont see how $1000 a month for groceries is ludicrous. We are a family of 5 and we spend 200-250 (depending on if its a diapers, laundry detergent, etc week) a week. We rarely eat out and make all our meals at home including lunches. Last time we had fast food was over 2 years ago. We do not cook any processed stuff so its all fresh vegetables, never frozen meats, etc. We buy lots of fruits and shop healthy and try to eat as clean as we can. No matter what we do its rare our weekly grocery store bill is less then $200.

$1000 / 5 people / 30 days / 3 meals a day: $2.22 a meal!

This doesnt include snacks, drinks, toiletries, etc ... just 3 healthy meals per day.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:39 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
some one needs a budget ... I just put my youngest on one, he earns a decent wage but wifey spends all he makes and more,,, 2 bank accounts. automatic pays for bills.. and wifey on a bi-weekly allotment straight to her account for food etc... what a difference. I was in banking for 25 plus years, many peopel have NO clue how to handle finances,,, and not uneducated folks I am talking about.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,800,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
I dont see how $1000 a month for groceries is ludicrous. We are a family of 5 and we spend 200-250 (depending on if its a diapers, laundry detergent, etc week) a week. We rarely eat out and make all our meals at home including lunches. Last time we had fast food was over 2 years ago. We do not cook any processed stuff so its all fresh vegetables, never frozen meats, etc. We buy lots of fruits and shop healthy and try to eat as clean as we can. No matter what we do its rare our weekly grocery store bill is less then $200.

This doesnt include snacks, drinks, toiletries, etc ... just 3 healthy meals per day.
We spend about $200 per week on groceries, so the $1000 didn't raise my eyebrows too much either. It is expensive to eat right. Sure … I could feed my family on far less than that, but we would be eating boxed or processed crap and very little fresh fruits and veggies. I typically shop the perimeter of the store and I do try to buy organic on the important stuff (meats and dairy and some veggies). I'd rather cut some of our other expenses before I cut corners on healthy groceries.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,405 times
I remember before we had our 3rd child and both my wife and I were full time students, we ate lots of boxed meals, ground beef, value meals at fast food places and all sorts of things that 2 full time students living in college apartments with 2 little children eat.

I can go back to buying like that and cut my bill in half but why would I if I dont need to? Who would fault a family for seeing that as a value, a cost (or debt if you want to) that is legitimate. I certainly do.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post

It seems like the cost of groceries has gone way up lately, too. I just read my previous post in this thread and had forgotten we were only spending $1,000/month on groceries. It hasn't been that long! We now spend, for a family of eight, about $1,400/month.

We also don't eat anything processed, cook everything at home, etc. I have a teen and a preteen, though, and they are definitely eating more, and we have some food allergies and intolerances that make it more expensive.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:53 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
I'm not offended by this article at all. The title says "How to Earn $100,000 and Still Feel Poor" but the tone of her article is more like "How to Earn $100,000 and Not Feel Rich". She remembers a time when $100K was a rich man's salary. I remember that time as well. $100K used to mean the wife could stay home and raise the children, you could live in a great neighborhood, and your finances were never in doubt. The fact is that the dollar has been steadily devalued. Inflation is real. Housing, gas, education, groceries, etc. all cost much more than they used to.
I'm not offended at all? This is how many feel these days, or should I say NOT feel, imagine how the rest live if they only make $50K...or the more normal $ 36K -- again a very small percentage understand the $100K lifestyle,,, the rest will never get a chance to know, and some will make sure of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: