U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 PM

126 posts, read 197,630 times

Advertisements

I am buying another car and wanted to know with the extreme sun in Fl, will I regret buying a car with black/charcoal gray leather interior? I will have all my windows tinted to help with the sun, but I didn't know if light vs dark interior really matters. I have only owned dark with and w/o leather and it fine here even hot days.

Would you recommend leather or not based on heat? It cleans up so easy so that is why I am thinking of going with leather again. Does the outside of the car make a difference? I think I want silver because it hide dirt and pollen anyway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:56 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,090,853 times
I would not recommend ANY color leather interior down here unless you have a garage and/or covered parking at your place of business.

Also, invest in a sun shade for your windshield. Your dashboard and steering wheel will thank you.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,418,591 times
I've had leather interior and I've kept it well shaded- haven't had any problems. I use a dashboard visor if parking for a while. A clear coat should be sufficient. I give it a good wax every 3-4 months. I've been under the impression that the elements up north are worse than the salt air of Florida. I've always noticed that older cars down here seem to be in better shape than cars up north.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 PM

34 posts, read 68,893 times
We have a charcoal grey leather interior and it's held up fine! BUT we do use a sunshade/visor too, it really does helps!! Especially if you do park it outside for any amount of time.. otherwise holding onto the steering wheel can give ya a sting! LOL! I would NEVER buy a dark colored vehicle though since the paint fades. And yes.. the cars up north are definitely way crappier from the winter salted roads in comparison to the ones down here. You can ALWAYS tell if a car is from up north on a lot since the under carriage and wheel wells will be rusted!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM

173 posts, read 354,698 times
Default Do not buy a car and then move to Florida....

Friends bought a car just before they moved to Florida. ... I forget the parameters... but if you buy a car within 6 months of moving to FL.. you have to pay sales tax in FL for the car. They paid almost a thousand dollars to get plates for their car. I couldn't find a link that showed you need to pay it.. They moved down here in 2009...so maybe it has changed. But ask questions, to prevent an unpleasant surprise. ( I think they were told they could get the sales tax back from Michigan, their original home...)

And you need to plate your car fairly quickly when you move here.--10 days

Moving to Florida

Car Registration Florida

Good luck with then car hunt... I've had both leather and cloth... My white/cream colored leather seats were wonderful..didn't absorb the heat too much... but I also use a sunshade, and left windows cracked.. depending on the season.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:03 PM

4,167 posts, read 8,378,672 times
As long as you tint the windows you should be fine. I would also get a windshield visor for those blazing hot days. Another tip that has worked for my leather interior....keep a pack of baby wipes in the car. It's gentle on your leather, cleans up great for everyday stains, smells good and is really good for moisturizing your leather. I prefer it over the armor all because it smells better and alot less greasy.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:48 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,259,133 times
My leather seats are light gray, and I never had an issue. While I didn't have my car sit M-F in uncovered parking lot for long periods...I ran errands all over the place, gym, whatever...we also went to Disney enough to cover for that "sitting in the sun" for hours...LOL No sunshade either. My seats are fine. I don't know about the dark interior...that would make me hot in the middle of winter...LOL

Interesting about the wipes, I have those in the car all the time, but I only used them to clean up the seats if something spilled...Good Tip! Thank you.

I love red on the outside; white gets dirty too fast...black is to bland for me...but charcoal gray and this red that's on my car now do very well with the dirt showing indeed...

Old 03-29-2012, 05:22 AM

35,318 posts, read 45,182,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacmama View Post
I am buying another car and wanted to know with the extreme sun in Fl, will I regret buying a car with black/charcoal gray leather interior? I will have all my windows tinted to help with the sun, but I didn't know if light vs dark interior really matters. I have only owned dark with and w/o leather and it fine here even hot days.

Would you recommend leather or not based on heat? It cleans up so easy so that is why I am thinking of going with leather again. Does the outside of the car make a difference? I think I want silver because it hide dirt and pollen anyway.
Go to the dealer and sit in a few cars and you'll soon see the difference if any in dark cars with leather seats or lighter cars with cloth seats or any combination in between.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,539,459 times
I will never own another black vehicle. I learned that lesson years ago.

1. too hot
2. impossible to keep clean

You will do best with white, cream or some shade of silver, or gold. Green and dark blues are just as bad as black.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 AM

15,930 posts, read 33,599,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I will never own another black vehicle. I learned that lesson years ago.

1. too hot
2. impossible to keep clean

You will do best with white, cream or some shade of silver, or gold. Green and dark blues are just as bad as black.
I agree - dark color paints and interiors are the worst, especially leather. The sun is hard on leather down here. Light colors will fare the best and stay the coolest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay