Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 AM

4,416 posts, read 3,762,992 times

Advertisements

More bad reviews:

Clearwater Marine Aquarium Inc - Clearwater Beach, FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 AM

7,115 posts, read 8,600,209 times
When my cousin was here visiting from Cleveland last fall she was very interested in seeing Winter and visiting the CWA. Ironically she majored in marine bio at Kent State(not great major in Ohio lol),she volunteered in the SeaWorld (it's since closed) near Cleveland for years! We enjoyed the tour and since it was a slow day she got to talk to many of the staff...sure it's a low budget place but if you also get an upclose and personal experience...When we were upnear Destin we also went to a small aquarium...it was great...penquins were adorable but smelled and the dolphin show was so up close we got soaking wet !! It all depends on your expectations...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:33 AM

22 posts, read 40,541 times
Point is, these are 501(c)(3) non profits. You being admitted to visit them is to help raise funds and care for the animals, rehab, etc.....it's not meant to be a day at Disney.

I read a review on the FL aquarium where it was given 1* because a lady said they didn't cater to her child's special needs diet. Uh, no.....they're more concerned about the diet of the animals. So if your kid can't typically find anything to eat at a concession stand, YOU should be responsible for bringing things they can eat and not rip a facility for it. Entitled little princesses.

And for the lady who's been to all the top aquariums, that's awesome. They can't all be #1 and their elaborate nature is based on $$ and donations / revenue they get.

That being said, both are expanding and improving.

Clearwater Marine Aquarium has $12 million expansion plan - Tampa Bay Times

Phosphate company Mosaic donates $2.5 million toward Florida Aquarium's $15 million expansion - Tampa Bay Times

Old 04-05-2012, 03:35 PM

789 posts, read 1,850,773 times
We sponsor both the Tampa Aquarium and the Sarasota Mote Aquarium. My daughter is also majoring in marine biology. These organizations have a lot of events and classes for marine lovers, rehabilitators, scientists, students, children, etc. They do many positive things to preserve and promote our marine life, coastlines, marshes, lakes, and rivers. They are not meant to be LEGOLAND.

Check out the Mote Aquarium as well at:
Mote Marine Laboratory - Mote Marine Laboratory

Perhaps you can consider contributing to these valuable organizations so they can expand operations!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 PM

485 posts, read 1,007,725 times
I have to agree that both aquariums need major work and are overrated.

I don't think (most) people are expecting SeaWorld, LegoLand, Disney, etc. No, they are not expecting organic hot dogs and salad nicoise at the concession area. But they are also not expecting these places to be decrepit either, for what they charge or market themselves as. A happy medium would be nice. If you have been to the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta (also a 501 C3 nonprofit), for example, that is a sea-life masterpiece that is neither a LegoLand, nor a dump (like the Tampa aquariums). I think the director of the Georgia aquarium might laugh his way out the door if he visited where Winter lives and saw that place being marketed as "an aquarium".

I will have to check out the Sarasota aquarium. In the meantime, based on the bad reviews the Tampa aquariums are getting from local and national/international visitors, I am glad to see that at least one aquarium has renovation plans.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
I have to agree that both aquariums need major work and are overrated.

I don't think (most) people are expecting SeaWorld, LegoLand, Disney, etc. No, they are not expecting organic hot dogs and salad nicoise at the concession area. But they are also not expecting these places to be decrepit either, for what they charge or market themselves as. A happy medium would be nice. If you have been to the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta (also a 501 C3 nonprofit), for example, that is a sea-life masterpiece that is neither a LegoLand, nor a dump (like the Tampa aquariums). I think the director of the Georgia aquarium might laugh his way out the door if he visited where Winter lives and saw that place being marketed as "an aquarium".

I will have to check out the Sarasota aquarium. In the meantime, based on the bad reviews the Tampa aquariums are getting from local and national/international visitors, I am glad to see that at least one aquarium has renovation plans.
Perhaps the fabulous GA aquarium should have volunteered to take Winter in and pay for her rehab.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,126,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
It use to be a sewer treatment plant. No lie.
Very true, and for years they were supposedly treating the water and releasing it right into Clearwater Harbor.....trouble is they really weren't treating it, it was pretty much raw sewage.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,557,005 times
Ha I remember going there for free many times. Now I think it is just disgusting that they charge now and it is very expensive!

and ya its a dump! why is it they get a lot of money now!!!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
Ha I remember going there for free many times. Now I think it is just disgusting that they charge now and it is very expensive!

and ya its a dump! why is it they get a lot of money now!!!
No, it's really more disgusting that you want to get in free to a facility that has to beg and borrow and take donations to do rehab and release of sick and injured animals. What a winner.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:02 PM

239 posts, read 668,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchipgcs View Post
Perhaps the fabulous GA aquarium should have volunteered to take Winter in and pay for her rehab.

This is a non profit working marine hospital and rehab center responsible for saving the lives of many sea animals, including the Dolphin (Winter), which would likley have been euthenized anywhere else.

Does the place need some work, yes. Is it freshly painted, with high end decorations and an organic cafe, no. BUT, all the money is going towards the mission and there are plans to improve with the money generated from the film. Too bad you feel so bad about contrubuting your few little dollars to the cause.

Sinatras, perhaps you should stick to the more commercial tourist destinations like Disney where they wrap everything up in a pretty little package for you. They are happy to take your money and line their pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay