Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 21,229 times

Advertisements

Relocating with family (of 4) to USF, and will have about 5,000 budget per month for all expenses. We would like to rent (at first) a furnished 3/2 house/apt. in the Palma Ceia area or nearby (because it's more urban and we heard that the schools are good. We have children in Elementary and Middle Schools). We have approx 5,000 monthly for ALL our expenses and we're thinking of 1,500 for rent (plus $300+ utilities). The question is can we live on the rest - 3,000? And more generally, how much (money) does it take to live in Palma Ciea for instance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 03:34 PM

42 posts, read 98,609 times
We were floored by homeowners insurance and property tax costs when we moved here, but that won't be an issue if you rent. We also found that our auto insurance is about double what we paid in NC. We live in St. Pete so not sure about the area you mentioned, but we have a similar monthly budget for living expenses such as groceries, gas, entertainment etc.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:05 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Palma Ceia is quite old, and spotty.
IF you meant you'll be working at USF, that's quite a commute too...
$5000 should be more than sufficient. It depends on what your're into, how long of a commute, what kind of cars for insurance...and what you like for entertainment. We are a family of six on $3400 a month! It also depends on how much real estate you need to live comfortably, or as I like to put it, "how much square footage you want to clean"! LOL If I were you, I would look in Carrollwood. Schools are good there too...and it is a LOT closer than Palma Ceia, and it is a lot less spotty if you stay on the west side between Fletcher and Northdale Blvd. Traffic on 275 can be atrocious.

http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/palma%20ceia%20to%20usf.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
What else is important to you? You say 'urban' what does that mean to you? Carrollwood or Westchase would all be closer to work and the schools are good in both areas.

Westchase has a little shopping/dinning area which is walkable. The yards are not too big there though.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:35 PM

71 posts, read 131,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Palma Ceia is quite old, and spotty.
IF you meant you'll be working at USF, that's quite a commute too...
$5000 should be more than sufficient. It depends on what your're into, how long of a commute, what kind of cars for insurance...and what you like for entertainment. We are a family of six on $3400 a month! It also depends on how much real estate you need to live comfortably, or as I like to put it, "how much square footage you want to clean"! LOL If I were you, I would look in Carrollwood. Schools are good there too...and it is a LOT closer than Palma Ceia, and it is a lot less spotty if you stay on the west side between Fletcher and Northdale Blvd. Traffic on 275 can be atrocious.
This advice is mostly wrong. If you are going to USF in the AM and returning in the PM, the carrollwood commute will not be shorter than Palma Ceia. I've lived in both and commute to USF every day (btw the am commute from palma ceia is 20-25 minutes). Traffic on 275 northbound in the am is not atrocius - it is non-existent. Obviously this poster is not aware that the direction you commute at a given time of day makes all the difference.

Also - I would consider Carrollwood far more spotty than Palma Ceia. In general I think most people would agree that Palma Ceia is more desirable area - hence the property values. The schools are better as well.

Finally, due to real estate and ballooning rental costs, you may find the 5K/month a bit tight in Palma Ceia. 1500 for rent will get you an average (at best) 2 bedroom townhouse in that area.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 PM

272 posts, read 607,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnichols2 View Post
Also - I would consider Carrollwood far more spotty than Palma Ceia. In general I think most people would agree that Palma Ceia is more desirable area - hence the property values. The schools are better as well.
I concur.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
Quote:
This advice is mostly wrong. If you are going to USF in the AM and returning in the PM, the carrollwood commute will not be shorter than Palma Ceia. I've lived in both and commute to USF every day (btw the am commute from palma ceia is 20-25 minutes). Traffic on 275 northbound in the am is not atrocius - it is non-existent. Obviously this poster is not aware that the direction you commute at a given time of day makes all the difference.

Finally, due to real estate and ballooning rental costs, you may find the 5K/month a bit tight in Palma Ceia. 1500 for rent will get you an average (at best) 2 bedroom townhouse in that area.
I wouldnt even say average. That are is super expensive. Even crappy houses that would maybe top 100k out in carrolwood and stuff are pushing well over 200k still, its incredible.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:52 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:

Totally agree with this. Palma Ceia, to me, is just about the best family friendly nice neighborhood in Tampa to live. It has the best schools, close to everything and has always been desirable. Yes, it costs a lot more, but properties hold their values there. I don't consider it "spotty" at all. If you can afford it, this is the better place to live than Carrollwood, although I like Carrollwood too as an alternate choice.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 21,229 times
I haven't reached a decision yet, but it seems that due to the public schools for my children, it'll be either Palma Ceia or the area of Lutz (or a bit south of that). Because this is the first priority in location, the daily travel to USF is not as important. It does certainly seem that PC prices are high, and that the budget we have is so-so in this regard, but not impossible. So I'm still looking. Anyhow hopeful. decision might eventually be made according to the actual house we find for rent, or if one of my children will go to a magnate public school - which means that we don't have to live in the schools' area. Please do share with me any more thoughts and suggestions that you might have, it's nice and helpful. I'll see if I have more specific questions to ask/share - and if so I'll do it. Thank you!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
I'm jumping in here a couple weeks late. But I know that driving from the intersection of HWY 54 and Collier (North Lutz) you can be at USF in less than 20 minutes. I take Livingston down when I go to the VA and it is a very nice, stress free trip. Plenty of homes right off the your route that are in very nice neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: