Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 06:18 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,881 times

Advertisements

Recently I went to dinner in South Tampa with acquaintances from Arizona. They were APPALLED when I left a 15% tip for what was really good service. I never leave more than 15%. They said, "Nobody leaves 15 percent anymore, unless you're in ass-backwards Florida, I guess."

When I asked a friend in DC how much is standard there, he said 20 percent is the absolute MINIMUM tip there.

My sister in Los Angeles also says she never leaves less than 20 percent, even when she goes to a Mexican taco joint.

Mind you, none of these people are wealthy, but they are telling me that "an educated, sophisticated and conscientious" person in this day and age knows never to leave less than 20 percent.

I guess we Floridians have been way too cheap for a long time, and waiters have been hating us for years? My solution to this is: COOK MORE AT HOME.

Last edited by planedition; 04-08-2012 at 06:31 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM

21 posts, read 39,100 times
Yikes! What a huge response, very interesting. Let me defend myself a little, I am grateful for ANY tip, thank you. I posted this because ALL the servers at work get 15% tips often after giving 20% service. Before everyone jumps on me for saying how do we know it's worth that? We know when we are in the weeds or not having the best day, the service reflects it and a lesser tip is expected. But when you go ass-backward crazy to make sure a table has perfect service and they leave very happy but only leave 15% tip, that's the issue. Yes, it's considered fine dining (no it's not Guppy's but thanks for the veiled threat from whoever tried that ;( ), yes, I have been doing this on and off for a long time and I have gone to school and tried other jobs. I like the restaurant business, it's fun, flexible and a great way to meet people. I am that smiling , positive server trying to make your experience a pleasure. Sorry to stress everyone out, have a great night!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Somebody posted there is no research to support 20%. Jonathan Gold, very well-known LA food critic, wrote this last year. He basically says 20% is the new 15%, and we are all buttheads if we don't leave 20%. (similar to what my friends/sister said)

10 Handy Rules For Tipping - Los Angeles Restaurants and Dining - Squid Ink

I still think 15% is fine, especially with how expensive food/eating out is.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
When I asked a friend in DC how much is standard there, he said 20 percent is the absolute MINIMUM tip there.
lol. Your friend is full of crap. DC has some of the snobbiest, cheapest tippers around who argue with the wait staff about EVERYTHING. A few years ago I remember there was a story on one of the local news affiliates up there that talked about a few areas of NW DC and NoVA where wait staff had extremely high turnover due to cheap clientele. Nice areas, too, like Clarendon and (if memory serves) Dupont Circle.

There is no "minimum" up there. Never was.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Many places already put a .15% gratuity when there are groups of 6 or more, not 20%.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:41 PM

Hmm User8, the Wash Post food critic (and a reader from Northern Virginia) both seem to say 20 percent is standard there.

Ask Tom: Tipping on wine - Going Out Gurus - The Washington Post

Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 PM

45 posts, read 110,480 times
What? Inflation got you down? High gas prices, dollar losing value, inflation in overall daily cost of living? And...you expect all the rest of us to get on board and tip you better to make up for this? I suggest you talk to your Democrat overlords about the economic havoc they have created...don't whine at your customers.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:52 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Hmm User8, the Wash Post food critic (and a reader from Northern Virginia) both seem to say 20 percent is standard there.

Ask Tom: Tipping on wine - Going Out Gurus - The Washington Post
Oh ok. Some foodie blog talks about one guy's opinion on how much to tip on............. a bottle of wine............... and you take that as scripture.

Are you referring to the 1 comment that article received as the second opinion? Because that guy does not say 20% standard, he says 15-20% which is what most people anywhere would pay IF the service level warrants such a tip. Some people pay 18%. Some pay 25. See? No "standard" there or anywhere. After 34 years of living in the DC area and dining at a multitude of establishments (and knowing one or more of the wait staff from a large cross-section of dining and/or drinking establishments across that region) I can tell you for a fact that people up there complain about wait service like you wouldn't believe and tips vary wildly.

Try again.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
lol. Your friend is full of crap. DC has some of the snobbiest, cheapest tippers around who argue with the wait staff about EVERYTHING. A few years ago I remember there was a story on one of the local news affiliates up there that talked about a few areas of NW DC and NoVA where wait staff had extremely high turnover due to cheap clientele. Nice areas, too, like Clarendon and (if memory serves) Dupont Circle.

There is no "minimum" up there. Never was.
The richer the patron/area the cheaper the tips...they're so tight their butt cheeks chafe and squeak...

Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 PM

Hmmm, no user8, I am referring to the writer from Arlington who is wondering whether a 20% tip on a bottle of wine is even ENOUGH of a tip. Perhaps in your rush to write a silly response, you did not read the full article?

Clearly my DC friends are better tippers than yours?

Regardless, it's pretty clear that 20 percent is the new 15 (articles abound all over the Internet), and I am behind the curve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay