Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 07:52 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times

Advertisements

I had once that we got the appetizer after the main meal just because we told them we never got it and even the salads were brought at the same time while at that place you always get the salads before the main meal....even though they told us we got the appetizer for free we gave less tip...the food tasted well but we believe that the server should have delicated the way that the food came in the right order...

The way we got it was like we would be out in less than 30 min by getting everything at once...

I wonder what the Op would have said about the low tip we gave.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:55 PM

393 posts, read 306,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
As a person who has supported myself on tips for many years I am well aware of why I am tipped.I don't consider it a problem-just a fact. I was merely pointing out that all the hours of a shift need to be included in figuring how much someone makes an hour when not all the hours worked are a tipping situation.
I have no problem with what I make-not at all! It is pretty damn good.

Then WHY point it out if it has nothing to do with tipping for *SERVICE*, huh? I don't care HOW the ice got in the bin, how you changed the syrup for my coke I ordered BEFORE I even came into the restaurant, if the floor is clean, etc. I care about my service, that's it. The other stuff is just stuff that you do for your $2 and whatever an hour.

Don't mention any of it if it's not relevant to tipping. There's really no point, because no one cares.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 PM

21 posts, read 39,099 times
Bentlebee,

This OP would say, get the manager and complain. The server should get no tip at all because they failed at their job.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
For one, because it's a place I frequent, the staff knows me, and it's nice to get a table quicker, my food sooner, a better table, and other things that come with the staff at a restaurant actually knowing and liking you.

I bet the staff loves you and happily serve you hand and foot.I used to work at a place where almost all the customers were regulars that were excellent tippers. We would do anything for them. As the saying goes -you can draw more flies with honey than vinegar.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
You are saying that you are getting paid $2.50(in our state $2.13/hr) to do those things, so what's your complaint about this huh?

NO ONE tips based on things that happen *BEFORE* they get seated. That's INSANE. Even you don't do that when you go out to eat and you know it.

No one tips based on if you are restocking something while they are there. It has NOTHING to do with waiting tables.

Want to get paid for doing those things a decent wage, go to McDonald's. Also, by law, they are supposed to pay you minimum wage if you don't get any tips in those hours. That's the LAW.

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Wages - Tips (http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips.htm - broken link)

I was merely trying to state it like it is. I was not complaining. Why would I do to McDonald's? I am a fine dining server with decades of experience who regularly make 20% and up and pays taxes on all of it too.

The employer legally needs to make up the difference during the pay peroid not by the hour. That has never happened in all my years. All my paychecks have been $0.00 for the last 30 years.

I don't think I said I expected tips from customers when I have no tables or customers while we are restocking to open for the night. Who would tip me then the sous-chef?

Last edited by 8635angelvalley; 04-08-2012 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: sous chef not sour chef

Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
I was merely trying to state it like it is. I was not complaining. Why would I do to McDonald's? I am a fine dining server with decades of experience who regularly make 20% and up and pays taxes on all of it too.

The employer legally needs to make up the difference during the pay peroid not by the hour. That has never happened in all my years. All my paychecks have been $0.00 for the last 30 years.

I don't think I said I expected tips from customers when I have no tables or customers while we are restocking to open for the night. Who would tip me then the sous-chef?
My issue was that you MENTIONED side work. WHY mention it? It means nothing to the customer, so why mention it?

Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgal View Post
I am grateful for ANY tip
A rich claim from someone delivering pious lectures about what is an "acceptable" tip.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
a rich claim from someone delivering pious lectures about what is an "acceptable" tip.
soooo true!!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,430 times
Jeesh Some people just don't know how or when to let it go oops I meant tip

Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Recently I went to dinner in South Tampa with acquaintances from Arizona. They were APPALLED when I left a 15% tip for what was really good service. I never leave more than 15%. They said, "Nobody leaves 15 percent anymore, unless you're in ass-backwards Florida, I guess."

When I asked a friend in DC how much is standard there, he said 20 percent is the absolute MINIMUM tip there.

My sister in Los Angeles also says she never leaves less than 20 percent, even when she goes to a Mexican taco joint.

Mind you, none of these people are wealthy, but they are telling me that "an educated, sophisticated and conscientious" person in this day and age knows never to leave less than 20 percent.

I guess we Floridians have been way too cheap for a long time, and waiters have been hating us for years? My solution to this is: COOK MORE AT HOME.
If a friend started commenting on me leaving a 15% tip I wouldn't take kindly to it. If it was an acquaintance I would first ask why the hell they were worried about how much of a tip I left and then I would probably tell the pretentious arses to take a hike.

According to your friends and sister many in this thread are "uneducated, unsophisticated and not conscientious". Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay