Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Wow. I was a server working my way through college and I take great offense at that statement. I worked at a restaurant because they would work around a nursing school/clinical schedule, not because I loved taking care of jacka**es that were shi**y tippers. I busted my a**, by the way, and made half decent money. I tip well, always have and always will. It makes up for the cheapskates who get great service and leave a 5% tip, which is pure ignorance. Karma, baby.
I find it offensive also. My dad was a career server and he busted his hump. It was a HARD, HARD job, and people were damn cheap. As a result we ALWAYS tip at least 20%, even when maybe service could be better. Serving is an extremely difficult job, and those servers really earn their tips. They don't have benefits or get paid squat, they work holidays, nights, weekends - stuff most of us would not want to do. Quit being so cheap, people! As a bonus, when we go back, we are remembered and treated very well!

Anyone who can't or won't leave a proper tip should not be eating out.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgal View Post
I am compelled to write this post. I know this is subject which can bring alot of negative comments about "bad servers who need to do a better job" or "don't like it, get a real job" etc. Simply trying to get the word out, if you go to a nice place for dinner and get great service (a smiling, helpful person who keeps your water glass full 90% of the time and brings your drinks and food in a timely manner), please tip more than 15% of your bill. That tip was good 20+ years ago, the minimum tip these days is 18%. If you have a great time and want to show it leave 20%. I am truly shocked at the volume of 15% tippers in the area who will say to their server "you were great, thank you so much" then leave 15%. Please spread the word.
How about no tip instead?

Or, stop complaining.

Quality of service has sharply declined in the past 15 years. I think that's made me jaded. However, I think it's ridiculous to assume there should be a minimum tip unless there is also a minimum service level established. Since there isn't, tough.

For me, servers start at 0% tip and work their way up as the meal progresses.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:41 AM

74 posts, read 120,666 times
I was treated to a meal once in San Juan, PR. After we left the waiter ran out of the restaurant and caught up to us insisting that my friend pony up more tip money, which he did.
When I returned with my family from South Africa with my family and very little money we were faced with the dilemma of getting everything we owned past those doors in Kennedy airport, (of which there is no return), at one time. The only way to do it was by using the carts which were "owned" by the Blue Caps. We were forced to engage one and got our possessions past the point of no return. Anticipating a battle, when he demanded his tip I gave him a small amount. When he raised a fuss I gave him the rest which sent him away to our relief.
There are no tipping laws, they are voluntary, are they not? We are constrained by unwritten traditional philosophies which are always a factor in our human club. At best they are displays of affection and gratitude between the one receiving the service and the provider. It is also giving respect to the profession of the servers, recognizing it as the art that it is. To reclusive person like myself, meeting and serving the whims of new people all day seems to be a challenge I would dread. I do respect the patience of the ones who hide their annoyance well.
My tipping took a lurch upward after my daughter worked a place of low tipping. Empathy comes easier when inroads are made through your heart's loves.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:42 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
I have not gotten a raise in 4 years, I dont have any sympathy for someone who waits tables in an entry level job and has no desire to improve their station in life.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:51 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalpal View Post
My philosophy... 'Don't **** with the people that handle your food'... I tip 20% mostly
If you are tipping after the fact why would it matter?
I don't treat wait staff bad, I am not rude, I am not needy, but I do expect good service and if I get it then it is rewarded.
For someone to come on a forum and try to tell everyone that they need to tip more because she wants more money is ridiculous.
If she is not happy with her pay then she has every right to look for another line of work.
In my eyes 15% is adequate for adequate service, if it is better service then they may get more, I have never left no tip but there were a few times the service was bad, I left a small tip and talked to the manager.
I worked with, not at, many restaurants over the years from The Quilted Giraffe on Madison Ave back in the 80's (who by the way had the wait staff on a salary, there was no tipping) and Sparks Steakhouse on down to the smallest diner. I just added this part in since the OP felt that being a waitress for 20 years gave her some knowledge above the rest.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:29 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Just be careful. Some places automatically add gratuity and still leave a spot for you to tip. (very common in Orlando). I have, by accident, on more than on occasion tipped 20% on top of the 18% already added to the check. Ugh.

Also - if you can't afford to tip - you cannot afford to eat out.
I just heard on the radio station that when you have a large group, many restaurant charges the automatic gratuity. However, it doesn't go to the wait staff, it goes to the restaurant. Restauarants are being sued by the wait staff. People assume the money is for their server, so they don't leave a tip.

My brother-in-law is Israeli. He said over there, no one tips servers. Their feeling is, why tip someone for doing their job? They probably have a better hourly wage than here. That is in Israel, here in the USA, we tip our servers.

My experience, I tip the 20% for good service. Come on, what is another few dollars when you are already paying $50? I agree, if you can't afford to tip, then eat in.

I know people who work in the business. They tell me all kinds of stories. Like abusive bosses, teenagers coming in making the server dash off to get one thing or another their whole visit, then not leaving a tip. People trying to get free food by putting stuff in it like hair.

The government has caught on to the wages made in tips. They assume a certain amount is made in tips and have to pay taxes on the assumed tip wages. I heard this several years ago, so things may have changed.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgal View Post
Thanks, but I'm not in the burbs. I have been in the restaurant biz for over 20 years in many cities in the USA, I do not need to ask my manager for service tips, but thanks for the advice...I am simply comparing tips from this area to the rest of America and trust me, it's lacking.
Would the restaurant where you work be considered fine dining? Fine dining where great service is expected, the tip should be 20%. Staffers at run of the mill restaurants usually don't expect or deserve a 20% tip.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,114 times
The 15% tip is a thing of the past...Most servers only make a hourly wage of just over $2.00, tips may bring that to minimum wage...if you can afford to go out to eat, you most certainly can afford a decent tip...if you receive poor service, speak up! If you receive good to great service tip accordingly, but it should start at at least 18%...Don't be a jerk!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
The 15% tip is a thing of the past...Most servers only make a hourly wage of just over $2.00, tips may bring that to minimum wage...if you can afford to go out to eat, you most certainly can afford a decent tip...if you receive poor service, speak up! If you receive good to great service tip accordingly, but it should start at at least 18%...Don't be a jerk!
Find a better job. When I go somewhere to eat, the last thing on my mind is how much everyone in the place makes.

This is just reality. I dont care, and newsflash: neither does anyone else.

Chances are 90% of the people who work in restaurants have some sort of criminal record.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:29 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
About 8 years ago, I went out to eat with my family and my parents. There were six of us. The tab only totaled about $40, which wasn't much considering the size of our group. The service was fine so I left an $8 tip.

To my absolute shock, I see the waitress waiving around the $8 to two other waitresses and she said, "Look at this, there are six of them and this what I get."

I am normally a calm person, but I went ballistic. I walked over to her at the waitress station and I was so angry that I was shaking. I said, "Before you open your stupid big mouth and start insulting your customers, why don't you go back and finish fourth grade so you can figure out that I left you a 20% tip."

The manager then came over and asked what the problem was and I told him. He looked at the waitress with this priceless expression that mixed amazement and anger and then he apologized to me and said he'd take care of the matter. He comped our dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay