Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:37 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if they're are lots of bugs, such as spiders, wasps, bees, cockroaches, etc. in the beach areas? I hate bugs and would constantly live in fear if i moved there and found out that there were a lot of bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 02:44 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
Plenty........I don't mean to scare you, as I myself REALLY HATE BUGS, and I jump on tables if I see any...but wasps and bees are really everywhere you go, not just Florida.
Palmetto roaches are huge and gross, but....if you constantly spray for the bugs, of course you will have less. My husband is spraying the yard all the time to make sure we have minimal amounts of bugs.
I hate crickets, they are huge and black and everywhere here, and loud.......absolutely hate them....
But, in all fairness, I think I would freak out more if I saw an alligator go through my yard! I can crush a bug, but can't say the same for an alligator!

Still beats having Earthquakes! small price to pay!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:24 AM

104 posts, read 490,102 times
My husband and I were in Tampa beach area in July and we got more painful-like fire-ant bites from pretty much walking from the beach to the car. My hubbie had one hand pretty much covered with the painful bumps- I just had a few on my arm. I was in so much pain that I made him find a RX and get benedryl!

Old 09-15-2007, 11:31 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Yes. A ton of bugs! and little frogs.....and little lizards.....

Old 09-15-2007, 03:10 PM

Well, the frogs and lizards arent poisonous or anything are they? Cus frongs are really cool and I dont mind lizards. Now if they're in my house, thats different-i wouldnt mind having them in my yard.

And also, do people have enclosed pools in their yards so that alligators don't get in them? Is that why they're in greenhouse type things?

Old 09-15-2007, 03:41 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Well, the frogs and lizards arent poisonous or anything are they? Cus frongs are really cool and I dont mind lizards. Now if they're in my house, thats different-i wouldnt mind having them in my yard.

And also, do people have enclosed pools in their yards so that alligators don't get in them? Is that why they're in greenhouse type things?
I think it's more for bugs than alligators......
The frogs and lizards aren't poisonous. Scorpions and some snakes are!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:34 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Yep. Lots of bugs. Spiders, roaches (of all sizes. Mostly palmetto [flying] cockroaches), crickets, giant grasshoppers (I like to joke that you could throw a saddle on 'em and ride around), scorpions. Other bugs too. But not all of them are bad, and some are pretty neat (like butterflies, dragonflies, and damselflies!)

Not to scare you or anything. But pretty much everything thrives in Florida.

I'm taking it you're looking at schools down here, now? (I remember you posting on the NJ forum)

Old 09-15-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Yep. Lots of bugs. Spiders, roaches (of all sizes. Mostly palmetto [flying] cockroaches), crickets, giant grasshoppers (I like to joke that you could throw a saddle on 'em and ride around), scorpions. Other bugs too. But not all of them are bad, and some are pretty neat (like butterflies, dragonflies, and damselflies!)

Not to scare you or anything. But pretty much everything thrives in Florida.

I'm taking it you're looking at schools down here, now? (I remember you posting on the NJ forum)
yep, you're correct about the schools.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? FLYING ROACHES!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? nevermind. i dont want to come to florida now.

and do your scorpions look like the ones here in CA. b/c i thought they were desert insects.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:04 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
yep, you're correct about the schools.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? FLYING ROACHES!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? nevermind. i dont want to come to florida now.

and do your scorpions look like the ones here in CA. b/c i thought they were desert insects.
They aren't that bad, so long as you treat the area around/in your home for them. Or buy a cat (I have two...they do wonders on keeping them out...or just killing them for me. Being from Michigan originally, I'm terrified of the roaches).

I'm not really sure what the ones in CA look like, but I'd assume so. Maybe smaller?

Oh, okay, that's cool. Are you just scouting out the US to see where you'd like to go?

Old 09-15-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
They aren't that bad, so long as you treat the area around/in your home for them. Or buy a cat (I have two...they do wonders on keeping them out...or just killing them for me. Being from Michigan originally, I'm terrified of the roaches).

I'm not really sure what the ones in CA look like, but I'd assume so. Maybe smaller?

Oh, okay, that's cool. Are you just scouting out the US to see where you'd like to go?
dogs dont do the trick?

ya. i just looked up pics of them. florida ones are smaller and dont look as scary. either one would terrify me though.

yea. i either want to go to college in CA, WA, OR, MA, NY, NJ, FL, SC, NC, VA, or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay