Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Why does the name concern you? Are you in Tampa?

Always 2nd fiddle to Miami? Again, why do you care?
I'll take a guess - he has a friend or several friends who clown the name, which resulted in him getting butt hurt. Instead of actually trying to do anything about it (petition, letter to the board, congressman, etc) he figured he'd jump on an internet forum and whine about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Wow, I don't agree that the state will be cutting funding until the end of time. Don't be so pessimistic about life.
I think you should do a little research about higher education in FL the last five years. Politicians plan to cut for many more years.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The only people who DON'T complain about the name are people in Tampa Bay who are used to it.

The rest of the state, country and the world wonder why there is a college named U of South Florida that is ACTUALLY NOT LOCATED IN SOUTH FLORIDA. It's really embarrassing.

It never bothered me one bit and I don't live anywhere near there.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunefix View Post
OMG, why are you posting on Internet message boards when there's crimes to be stopped and cancers to be cured?

If people are so stupid that they think changing a name of a university to something geographically correct will negatively impact their crime and housing problems.. then I'd recommend to others to avoid it like the plague. they are doomed by virtue of being idiots.
Let's see, The University of South Carolina is in the northern half of the state. By your thinking should it not be named the University of Northern South Carolina. The University of North Dakota is on the east end of the state, that would make it The University of Eastern North Dakota. I could go on and on.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm thinking GCU (Gulf Coast University) -
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Terrible. The other gulf coast states would pitch a fit.

Name it U of Tampa Bay (screw U of Tampa) and be done with it. Not the best name, but it makes the most sense.
I thin Florida Gulf Coast University might have the most issues with USF changing to a name that is taken.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Let's see, The University of South Carolina is in the northern half of the state. By your thinking should it not be named the University of Northern South Carolina. The University of North Dakota is on the east end of the state, that would make it The University of Eastern North Dakota. I could go on and on.
South Carolina has it the worst of anyone. People think Southern Cal when they say USC and they think UNC when they say Carolina.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 12,294 times
How is it embarrassing? Miami has the University of Miami and was founded first. If they wanted to be USF they could have been. The University of Miami was established in 1925 and University of South Florida was in 1955 thirty years after. Do your homework, and just because some English couple doesn't understand doesn't mean the rest of the world gives a crap about the name of a college in central Florida.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
How about Taliban University, it's full of them.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:52 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephybear View Post
How is it embarrassing? Miami has the University of Miami and was founded first. If they wanted to be USF they could have been. The University of Miami was established in 1925 and University of South Florida was in 1955 thirty years after. Do your homework, and just because some English couple doesn't understand doesn't mean the rest of the world gives a crap about the name of a college in central Florida.
I don't know why there's all this talk of English people. I haven't mentioned English people. Anyhow, it was just a suggestion on how to improve upon something. No need to get your panties in a wad.

I was watching the NCAA tournament a while back with a group of people and they all thought USF was "around Miami" because South florida = Miami metro area now. It occurred to me there that the city of Tampa could benefit slightly from a name change, even if it is a trivial thing. I'm under the impression that USF is really growing in notoriety nationally.

Food for thought.. or not. I don't really care either way. I don't live in Tampa, but I do love many things about the area and enjoy my visits. It's just amusing how many useless insults and reactionary hyperboles were thrown back at the mere suggestion. Debbie downers.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I was watching the NCAA tournament a while back with a group of people and they all thought USF was "around Miami" because South florida = Miami metro area now. It occurred to me there that the city of Tampa could benefit slightly from a name change, even if it is a trivial thing. I'm under the impression that USF is really growing in notoriety nationally.

Food for thought.. or not. I don't really care either way. I don't live in Tampa, but I do love many things about the area and enjoy my visits. It's just amusing how many useless insults and reactionary hyperboles were thrown back at the mere suggestion. Debbie downers.
1. How could it benefit slightly?
2. Since you don't live here, why do you keep such a trivial topic on this mb alive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay