U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:45 AM
DB3 DB3 started this thread

55 posts, read 285,986 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in feedback on the Gulf Harbors area in New Port Richey. Seems like a great place to live, but how's the crime, the schools and are there year-round families with children living there or is it mostly vacation rentals?
Thanks for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 PM

68 posts, read 392,259 times
Gulf Harbors has some vacation rentals, but it is mostly year round residents. I would say there are some families with children, but there are retired folks also. There is a private beach and clubhouse for residents. Crime in this area is low. The schools are so-so, but not as bad as some people make them out to be. The homeowners insurance is very high, due to the proximity to the Gulf, for both waterfront and non-waterfront homes. I would only buy a waterfront home in Gulf Harbors. A house that is not on the water is not desirable because you would be paying the same insurance as waterfront, and not enjoying waterfront living. There are still reasonably priced waterfront homes in Gulf Harbors and they will increase in value.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:35 AM

11 posts, read 54,870 times
Default Gulf Harbors Community Info - New Port Richey

The large majority of residents in Gulf Harbors and the neighboring communities of Gulf Harbors Woodlands, Sea Forest (Gulf Landings) live here year-round. Maybe 20% are seasonal.

Vacation rentals used to be a larger factor but it was banned from residential communities (unless the community's deed restrictions specifically permit it) by Pasco County ordinance in the late 90's and recently enforced. Although I think this is a mistake. Successful vacation rentals are always kept clean and have a high curb appeal due to their nature - nobody wants to pay $1200 per week for a slum house. Contrast this to an annual rental (which of course is allowed) where tenants have no stake in the home and maintenance is often put-off until it is critical. Plus, homes are more marketable to investors if vacation rentals are allowed, but I digress.

I have lived in Gulf Harbors Woodlands for 8 years now. My wife and I have two boys (11 & 9). There are kids in all of these communities and a couple of kids and mom's clubs. Seaside Moms has get-togethers at the private beach and other locations. The Children of the Woodlands sometimes holds events such as Halloween Carnivals and Easter Egg Hunts. There are no community playgrounds (yet), but Woodlands has a large heated pool with a large shallow area, tennis courts (there is even a Woodlands resident with helpers who gives free weekly tennis lessons to children - my two boys have been going to these lessons for years now), and clubhouse. Sea Forest also has a pool, spa, tennis courts, and clubhouse.

The insurance cost has gone up quite a bit in the past 5 years, but when you add up the insurance and taxes most folks from the Northeast will still find it less expensive when compared to their local taxes. The Florida legislators top priority is to fix the insurance and roll back taxes (as mandated by Floridians).

An average 3/2/2 waterfront home in Gulf Harbors with direct and unobstructed gulf access will cost in the $400's. Taxes for this home will be about $4K - $5K and insurance about $4K - $5K too. Although there are some deals to be had in today's strong buyer's market. Prices on these homes will vary depending on location. Generally, the more west (closer to the beach and open gulf) the home the higher its cost. Also, although Sea Forest homes are on average newer (later construction), because they are further back on the canal system they (again generally) sell for less (dollar per sqft) than GulfHarbors or Woodlands' homes.

You can get additional information on Gulf Harbors' official website. Articles and bulletins are posted there by the Gulf Harbors Board of Directors and their Editors. Just Google Gulf Harbors and it will come up.

Hopes this helps!

Old 11-05-2010, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,144 times
Stay away from Gulfharborsrealestate.com and Salvatore Passanisi, as they are not licensed real estate brokers. Beware of Topsail Trail, Rudder Way, and Forestay Court. They have a history of poor treatment of tenants and buyers.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 PM

17,314 posts, read 11,396,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belloisec View Post
The large majority of residents in Gulf Harbors and the neighboring communities of Gulf Harbors Woodlands, Sea Forest (Gulf Landings) live here year-round. Maybe 20% are seasonal.

Vacation rentals used to be a larger factor but it was banned from residential communities (unless the community's deed restrictions specifically permit it) by Pasco County ordinance in the late 90's and recently enforced. Although I think this is a mistake. Successful vacation rentals are always kept clean and have a high curb appeal due to their nature - nobody wants to pay $1200 per week for a slum house. Contrast this to an annual rental (which of course is allowed) where tenants have no stake in the home and maintenance is often put-off until it is critical. Plus, homes are more marketable to investors if vacation rentals are allowed, but I digress.

I have lived in Gulf Harbors Woodlands for 8 years now. My wife and I have two boys (11 & 9). There are kids in all of these communities and a couple of kids and mom's clubs. Seaside Moms has get-togethers at the private beach and other locations. The Children of the Woodlands sometimes holds events such as Halloween Carnivals and Easter Egg Hunts. There are no community playgrounds (yet), but Woodlands has a large heated pool with a large shallow area, tennis courts (there is even a Woodlands resident with helpers who gives free weekly tennis lessons to children - my two boys have been going to these lessons for years now), and clubhouse. Sea Forest also has a pool, spa, tennis courts, and clubhouse.

The insurance cost has gone up quite a bit in the past 5 years, but when you add up the insurance and taxes most folks from the Northeast will still find it less expensive when compared to their local taxes. The Florida legislators top priority is to fix the insurance and roll back taxes (as mandated by Floridians).

An average 3/2/2 waterfront home in Gulf Harbors with direct and unobstructed gulf access will cost in the $400's. Taxes for this home will be about $4K - $5K and insurance about $4K - $5K too. Although there are some deals to be had in today's strong buyer's market. Prices on these homes will vary depending on location. Generally, the more west (closer to the beach and open gulf) the home the higher its cost. Also, although Sea Forest homes are on average newer (later construction), because they are further back on the canal system they (again generally) sell for less (dollar per sqft) than GulfHarbors or Woodlands' homes.

You can get additional information on Gulf Harbors' official website. Articles and bulletins are posted there by the Gulf Harbors Board of Directors and their Editors. Just Google Gulf Harbors and it will come up.

Hopes this helps!
I live on the gulf in west Pasco and my taxes were 18k a year in 05 and now down to 11k. Ins for my house would be around 16k. No Ins company would touch my house. House was worth 800k in 05 and now can't sell it for 200k.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB3 View Post
I'm interested in feedback on the Gulf Harbors area in New Port Richey. Seems like a great place to live, but how's the crime, the schools and are there year-round families with children living there or is it mostly vacation rentals?
Thanks for any info.
Crime is not bad in the area you asked about, but most of west Pasco is small 2bedroom shoebox homes that are rented to drug dealers and there is plenty of crime.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:28 AM

35,319 posts, read 44,594,558 times
How do you find these 3 year old topics, As this topic is a good 200 pages ago

Old 11-06-2010, 05:12 AM

How does who find them?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:23 AM

35,319 posts, read 44,594,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
How does who find them?
In this case forum member Mike Bosworth

Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In this case forum member Mike Bosworth
Beats me? I just click on whatever i can add my 2 cents worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay