Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,564 times

Advertisements

Hello, my partner and I are considering relocating to Tampa from Portland Oregon--he has a great job offer.

We LOVE Oregon--love the left-leaning vibe, the mountains, the cycling, the locally-sourced food, etc.

We know Tampa will be HOT and we can deal with that. We know we won't be hiking through mountains and are okay with taking up sail boarding and other water sports.

But, we are scared that we will not be into the Tampa lifestyle--we have heard that Tampa is super conservative, racist, and not at all environmentally conscious. If there are good things about living there, we'd love to hear them.

In terms of where to live we are looking for areas that are "local feeling" and friendly. We have heard that Safety Harbor is the place for that.

Will we totally regret leaving Oregon? Is anyone out there who has moved from the Pacific NW to Tampa?

thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 02:28 PM

175 posts, read 353,035 times
This is only my opinion. Based on what you have written, you may like Tampa for a few years, but this move would not be permanent.

The bay area is generally conservative, although my congresswoman Kathy Castor is a democrat. Florida was the third state to seceed from the Union (after South Carolina and Mississippi). Schools were not completely integrated until the 1970s. So I wouldn't call the state progressive. There is a southern pride and a complacency with the status quo. Without a doubt the city is not progressive in any environmental or social strata when compared to cities like Portland, SF, NYC, etc. I find the city to be segregated ethnically and economically.

Geographically, however, the entire bay area is beautiful, especially if you love water. And the beaches on the gulf have the best water temperature. It's like easing into a warm bath--nothing like the Pacific or Atlantic. I couldn't see any of my friends from Portland moving here. Again, just the opinion of someone raised here, who loves Tampa, but who left for NYC.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 PM

72 posts, read 131,204 times
There's 2.3 million people in the metro area. There's like-minded people and something for everyone if you look. St. Petersburg did strike me as being more artsy or "progressive" than Tampa. It also depends on where you'll be working/commuting to. Dunedin is cool but you don't want to drive from dunedin to tampa every morning. in that case you may want to look in south Tampa.

also, are you accustomed to urban or suburban life in Portland?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
Come on down and check it. If you don't see other places, you don't know what you are missing. I have never seen a world cup (soccer) in the same city since 1986 ! and this thing happen every 4 years. Even though some areas aren't my favorite, I appreciate the experience. So, give it a try. In the worst case, you will go back to your rain forest .

Old 04-19-2012, 03:48 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applyray View Post
Hello, my partner and I are considering relocating to Tampa from Portland Oregon--he has a great job offer.

We LOVE Oregon--love the left-leaning vibe, the mountains, the cycling, the locally-sourced food, etc.

We know Tampa will be HOT and we can deal with that. We know we won't be hiking through mountains and are okay with taking up sail boarding and other water sports.

But, we are scared that we will not be into the Tampa lifestyle--we have heard that Tampa is super conservative, racist, and not at all environmentally conscious. If there are good things about living there, we'd love to hear them.

In terms of where to live we are looking for areas that are "local feeling" and friendly. We have heard that Safety Harbor is the place for that.

Will we totally regret leaving Oregon? Is anyone out there who has moved from the Pacific NW to Tampa?

thanks...
Be wary of things you've "heard" - everything is subjective, and it's all what you like and are comparing it to. As others have said, the Tampa Bay area is large and diverse, St. Pete is far more "bohemian" and will have a little more in common with what you are used to, also South Tampa. Also check out Sarasota to the south, a beautiful small artsy and (for Florida) progressive city. Please come with an open mind and decide for yourselves if you like it or not. Yes, the givens are it's hot and sunny and humid (but we have GORGEOUS winters!). Mostly flat (but hills in the center of the state) but the best beaches in the country. Lots of beauty and nature here, just a different variety than Portland.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:25 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Tampa will be different, that's for sure. What liberals there are here will probably still be to the right of what you're use to and the conservatives will be something beyond what you've ever experienced. Think Arizona with a beach. jdm's post summed it up pretty well and gypsychic is on the money about St. Pete (where I live).
I'm originally from a N. California area that's nicknamed The Redwood Curtain. Not technically the PNW but close enough. I'm planning on giving Oregon or Washington a try in a few years, so maybe I'll be asking you some questions soon.
I can't say if you'll like it here or not-I've found both the weather and politics of Florida to be brutal.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 04-19-2012 at 05:39 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
I have lived in both Portland, OR(for 3 years) and now the Tampa area.

You're not going to like the drivers, and people here are much ruder and aggressive when you're out and about. It comes mostly from Northern transplants, but it is unpleasant and impacts daily life.

As you know OP, people in Oregon can be somewhat "standoffish" until you get to know them, but very polite in the stores and courteous(I'm talking about the other customers not just the workers who are paid to be pleasant like you find in Publix) and the you will miss those courteous Oregonian drivers who actually drive the speed limit, wave you into traffic, and know what a turn signal is.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I have lived in both Portland, OR(for 3 years) and now the Tampa area.

You're not going to like the drivers, and people here are much ruder and aggressive when you're out and about. It comes mostly from Northern transplants, but it is unpleasant and impacts daily life.

As you know OP, people in Oregon can be somewhat "standoffish" until you get to know them, but very polite in the stores and courteous(I'm talking about the other customers not just the workers who are paid to be pleasant like you find in Publix) and the you will miss those courteous Oregonian drivers who actually drive the speed limit, wave you into traffic, and know what a turn signal is.
Go to Tampa-St. Pete. Enjoy the sunshine. Enjoy the beach. The water is turquoise colored and is warm.

So, ^, you prefer the perfunctory niceness of those who work at Trader Joe's or New Seasons to northern transplants, some of whom are direct and with whom you know where you stand?

I'm sure there are left-leaning people there. Like anything else when you move, you have to find your niche.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:00 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Good luck dealing with the heat when we are stuck in a reverse west flow.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:27 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applyray View Post
Will we totally regret leaving Oregon?
Maybe not totally, but yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay