Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM

30 posts, read 119,243 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So i've been reading a lot of these threads for months now and I have to say I have been pretty back and forth about what I would like to do. I was certain that I wanted to move to Florida with my husband and 3 year old daughter but now I just don't know.

We currently live in NYC and it's getting very difficult for us out here. Cost of living is just way to high for the quality of living. We are not really night life people and we'd definitely prefer some peace, quiet, and warm weather I was let go from my job recently and I figured right now might be a good time to pick up and go. We have some money saved up, not a lot, but enough to cover a few months rent on a place plus the move. It would be nice to get some advice really from people who live out there. We wouldn't have jobs when we get there which is scary for me but I did hear the Tampa job market is expected to grow this year and I do have have almost 8 years of Administrative/Clerical experience. Can someone just give me a little feedback about the kinds of jobs available? Maybe some of you have moved out there recently and could possibly share your experiences? And how are the apartments out there? Online they seem beautiful but pictures can be deceiving. Can anyone share some thoughts with me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 AM

72 posts, read 214,009 times
I share your reasons for leaving NYC and I am planning my own move. We make decent salaries, enough that the IRS considers us "rich" and we lose a lot of tax benefits because our income is too high. But, in NYC it seems to be lower middle class and isn't nearly close to the life we want to have.

Even with money in the bank I think it will be difficult to find an apartment without a job. The landlord needs to know that you can pay the rent for the duration of the lease. I am originally from Florida and it is nothing like NYC. NYC has VERY strong tenant's rights, and deep social support nets and I don't think Florida is the same.

I've been looking for a job in Florida from NYC and it has been very difficult witout much response. IF you have family there you can rely on you may be okay, but to make the leap with no support migh not be the best decision in the current environment.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 AM

105 posts, read 83,366 times
Default Thank you for weighing in

I appreciate both of your posts as I am in the same position, only replace NYC with Long Island. I have been reading posts and going back and forth (in my mind) as well. I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:48 PM

30 posts, read 119,243 times
Thanks for the response. I do have some family but out in Orlando not Tampa but I was thinking either place. It's a scary move because I know the economy and job market are not too great out there. I also have tried sending my resume to a few places out there but never got a response. I'm sure it's because if they are hiring anywhere they would probably prefer to hire locally. I really don't want to go without a job but I just want to get out of NY so bad. I will definitely try to post my progress but please post yours as well. Would be great to know if you guys are successful in your move!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:32 PM

85 posts, read 159,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMR3124 View Post
Thanks for the response. I do have some family but out in Orlando not Tampa but I was thinking either place. It's a scary move because I know the economy and job market are not too great out there. I also have tried sending my resume to a few places out there but never got a response. I'm sure it's because if they are hiring anywhere they would probably prefer to hire locally. I really don't want to go without a job but I just want to get out of NY so bad. I will definitely try to post my progress but please post yours as well. Would be great to know if you guys are successful in your move!
I don't know what field you are in but Tampa-Orlando Legal job market seems to very insular in that they want you to have ties to the area. So for you I would focus on Orlando and play up your family there. Maybe say you need to help you sibling with their children or something that would lock you to the area...

Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,465,430 times
I don't want to make any assumptions regarding employment. There are job openings around, I am just not sure what you are looking to do.
I've been to numerous job fair's and I think you are correct for the most part. People do hire locally. The explanation was given by HR reps, all paraphrase, that the concern companies have to not hire locally is that many that are offered jobs, can't move. Houses, kids, etc... Job seekers have thier resume out all over in the hopes that they'll be called.
My wife was just offered a job to teach at the Community College. It is part time and exactly what she was looking for. We're semi-retired (both from the military) and are looking for things now that we like to do.
I'm sure you thought it over, but if you are definately looking to move, I would recommend putting together your resume, sending it out to companies, trying to set up meet and greets or even an interview or two, then come down for a week and see how it goes.
We love the Tampa area and liking it more every single day. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM

53 posts, read 99,060 times
Hi! I'm from LI contemplating the move as well. We are a family of 5 with 3 kids 11 & under. I go back and forth as well. Seems like people are posting positive reviews re: FL recently. It's my husband that wants to relocate, tired of NY.

Nervous to make that leap as well. And yes... Hearing, employment isn't all that easy to come by either in Tampa.

Continue to post! Very interested in your outcome! Good luck!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,967,800 times
coming from NY u will find the job market unbearably bad in regards to finding any job and if you find one then keeping it or progressing in a career like you would expect. If you want a positive change from NY in regards to climate and lifestyle with decent career options consider places like dallas, houston, atlanta maybe charlotte or raleigh area. Certainly southern CA (san diego, orange county) but that will be as expensive as NYC/LI. i'm also from LI. never thought i would but i am considering moving back, most i know from LI down here have either moved back or moved elsewhere. good luck

Old 05-10-2012, 02:35 PM

53 posts, read 99,060 times
Sad that people who have tried to make it FL from LI are moving back... My husband feels that the change would be a better one as far as lifestyle is concerned... But I personally, am nervous, but my husband does agree that if there is no guarantee in employment then we won't be going anywhere... Thing is... as far as employment, he's guaranteed a job here, he can get transferred over in FL, but not sure if there would be a chance of him being laid off over there (which would stink because if we move, then I would no longer be working due to the kiddie situation).

Uugghh... the thing that's Horrible about living in LI is the outrageous taxes! Whatever happened to "the best thing you can ever do is buy a home!" the way the economy has brought us our home is slightly valued at what we paid for 10 years ago!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,343 times
Default My suggestion

Honestly, If you have extensive experience I would say you could probably land a descent job out here. However if not you'll be forced into working telesales, or retail. Another option would be to pursue a career as an RN or any type of nursing field. As for me I work with computers, and I got on board with an opportunity I found with an online company. This works out great because my first job is home based. Honestly I make more money doing my online buisness than my computer repair business. What I would suggest is research some @ home positions, that way you can start before you leave NY, and possibly find something along the lines of what you have training for when you arrive in FL. At least you'll have something to fall back on if your career doesn't pick up right away right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: