Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's a very small, coastal retirement town, so for retirees (or vacation home buyers) it is great. If you have a family, need jobs or commute, not so much. Everyone has different criteria for what makes a place "great" for them.
Also, "dunnedin" stretches up 580 (main st) a ways, most people when they think of Dunnedin, think of the area immediately around the "downtown" (lol), but in actuality, it's got it's older parts, and it's newer almost cookie cutter parts too that look like mid to late 80's Countryside homes. Also the requisite apartment complexes (built in the 70's and 80's) sprinkled here and there. Plenty of vacant storefronts like everywhere else right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 AM

17 posts, read 55,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I was just joking--you wouldn't ruin it. But I've started my campaign of not telling people how great Dunedin is, so it doesn't get overrun and spoiled. Note: I'm one of the greyhairs, the retirees. I love it there. Sorry, didn't mean to offend!
No! No offense taken at all! I sort of thought your were kidding about, but thought it best to make sure!

Say, as one of the grey hair retirees... what do the seniors and/or retired folks do in Dunedin when they need help with their PC or Mac? Who is the local computer guru?

Also... what is the local newspaper listing classifieds, arts and entertainment in the area?

Thanks for the information, Um, "Dunedinites" (!?)

;-)

Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connaught View Post
No! No offense taken at all! I sort of thought your were kidding about, but thought it best to make sure!

Say, as one of the grey hair retirees... what do the seniors and/or retired folks do in Dunedin when they need help with their PC or Mac? Who is the local computer guru?

Also... what is the local newspaper listing classifieds, arts and entertainment in the area?

Thanks for the information, Um, "Dunedinites" (!?)

;-)
The Tampa Bay Times is the local newspaper, although I guess there are smaller, more local ones, not sure. The TBT has a section especially for North Pinellas, included most days, with lots about local events in arts and entertainment. I've only been there for one winter. Dunedin itself also have an active FB presence, to advertise events.

I'm a retired IT professional, so I wouldn't know how someone gets help with a PC--although I guess if my OS went completely bonkers I'd have to find someone. There must be small shops around--definitely needed, especially for many seniors who claim they can't even read email.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:37 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,802 times
I think Dunedin has lost whatever small town charm it once had. I visited Dunedin weekly in the early 80s to see freinds. Then I worked in the city for 6 years in the late 80s to 90s. I have visited recently, looked and feeled like just another section of Metro Tampa Bay.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Dunedin is a good place. Beautiful views by the coast, charming little downtown. With that said, there are no beaches and some of the small businesses are just terrible.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM

17 posts, read 55,212 times
No beaches!? Honeymoon and Caladesi are right there!

So... given the choice, Dunedin or Sarasota?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connaught View Post
No beaches!? Honeymoon and Caladesi are right there!

So... given the choice, Dunedin or Sarasota?
I live in Sarasota, and it's no contest for me - SARASOTA! This area has a multitude of free and easy-to-get-to beaches including Siesta, voted #1 in the country. But even without beaches it's just a larger and much more vibrant city. Not knocking Dunedin, for those who just want a very small and safe coastal town it can fill the bill. But it's not enough for me. For me, Sarasota is the perfect size, smallish city with a lot of bigger city amenities and tons of arts and cultural events.

Like I said, everyone has their own criteria as to what makes a place great for them. Sarasota ticks all my boxes, Dunedin does not.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,812 times
Default City of Dunedin forclosing my house

THIS IS THE LETTER THAT I SENT TO THE Dunedin CODE ENFORCEMENT BOARD TO TRY TO GET THE FINES REDUCED.

I purchased a house through tax deed sale at 996 Main St that had code fines that were unknown
to me.I cleaned and painted and made the house livable. Apparently this house has been boarded
up for years according to the neighbors. The neighbors have thanked me over and over for improving
the appearance of this property.
I am 68yrs old and purchased this property to supplement my income to my retirement. A resolution to this code
violation made by the previous owner would be greatly appreciated.

Mr Kepto ,a Dunedin code enforcement officer recomended for the board not to reduce the fines because he had a
report that i owned 2 businesses. I tried to tell them that was not true.
They would not let me speak unless i was asked a question. Mr kepto's report was totally false and they did
not reduce the fine.
The second case was presented and one of the board members ask me a question and i was allowed to speak and
state that i did not own any businesses. after finding this out the board stated that mr Franklin brought this
property up to code and reduced the fine to zero. I ask to reduce the first fine to something i could possible pay but
i was told that case was closed and could not be re-opened. That left me with a 91,000 dollar fine on a
small wood frame house.The city of Dunedin required me to hire a contractor , submit plans hire electrician
and plumber, purchase building, plumbing , electrical permits and bring it up to code.
on top of all this expense i have comitted month's of my personal labor to make this house liveable.
AND NOW THE CITY OF DUNEDIN IS FORCLOSING MY HOUSE.
I feel i did the city of Dunedin a great service fixing up an eyesore that was boarded up for years. I ask why they
did not forclose years ago and i was told they could not find the previous owners. I feel they are treating me
like a criminal. ,,, Don Franklin

Old 03-11-2014, 05:56 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaf View Post
THIS IS THE LETTER THAT I SENT TO THE Dunedin CODE ENFORCEMENT BOARD TO TRY TO GET THE FINES REDUCED.

I purchased a house through tax deed sale at 996 Main St that had code fines that were unknown
to me.I cleaned and painted and made the house livable. Apparently this house has been boarded
up for years according to the neighbors. The neighbors have thanked me over and over for improving
the appearance of this property.
I am 68yrs old and purchased this property to supplement my income to my retirement. A resolution to this code
violation made by the previous owner would be greatly appreciated.

Mr Kepto ,a Dunedin code enforcement officer recomended for the board not to reduce the fines because he had a
report that i owned 2 businesses. I tried to tell them that was not true.
They would not let me speak unless i was asked a question. Mr kepto's report was totally false and they did
not reduce the fine.
The second case was presented and one of the board members ask me a question and i was allowed to speak and
state that i did not own any businesses. after finding this out the board stated that mr Franklin brought this
property up to code and reduced the fine to zero. I ask to reduce the first fine to something i could possible pay but
i was told that case was closed and could not be re-opened. That left me with a 91,000 dollar fine on a
small wood frame house.The city of Dunedin required me to hire a contractor , submit plans hire electrician
and plumber, purchase building, plumbing , electrical permits and bring it up to code.
on top of all this expense i have comitted month's of my personal labor to make this house liveable.
AND NOW THE CITY OF DUNEDIN IS FORCLOSING MY HOUSE.
I feel i did the city of Dunedin a great service fixing up an eyesore that was boarded up for years. I ask why they
did not forclose years ago and i was told they could not find the previous owners. I feel they are treating me
like a criminal. ,,, Don Franklin
Rather than write a rambling "letter" you might be better served hiring a lawyer....just saying.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 AM

464 posts, read 645,494 times
Dunedin was in the running for our new retirement home, as was Safety Harbor and Gulfport. We are active, young and handsome retirees

We LOVE the walkability of these 3 towns (see www.walkscore.com) and all have a core downtown (small) with quality non-chain restaurants. All 3 are near some body of water to walk to, but Gulfport gets the nod on both eateries with walking distance (see tripadvisor for all 3 towns and their restaurants) and ease of access to water views. Dunedin's water views from walking in downtown, unfortunately are next to a busy roadway. Safety Harbor's water views are hindered by overgrowth, though you can walk out to their fishing pier.

We just bought a house in Gulfport Historic Area!! Very happy with our choice. But Dunedin was a VERY close second. We spent part of the past 2 winters, staying in each of these 3 towns and I recommend you do the same.

BTW here's a recent article in the St. Pete paper re: Gulfport.

Gulfport banks on remaining quaint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay