U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 PM

34 posts, read 68,563 times

Advertisements

Geez what is up with the rental market?! It's been almost a year since we moved back and it has been ridiculously overpriced. Our last place we were in for almost 5 years was in the Bardmoor area of Largo, 3/2/2 almost 1700 sq. ft. and $1375. Anymore you're lucky to get a 3/1/carport with 1000 sq ft. at $1200!! Not to mention it seems like no one wants to accept pets either! I'm just glad my mother enjoys having us live with her.. no matter how much I'd like to pull my hair out! LOL! We had considered moving up to the Spring Hill area but since our daughter makes regular trips to All Children's we really can't risk her needing to go there and it being 2+ hours away! We've been considering moving over to Tampa since the prices look to be better at least but about the only area that we know that isn't too bad is Carrolwood since when we first moved down here we were considering a place there. We've been through some other little areas here and there from when we'd buy things off Craigslist or checked out a couple Asian (Japanese/Korean) grocery stores for some of the food we like, but other than that we're pretty clueless when it comes to the Tampa area.

Soooo.. where are the decent areas in Tampa? I say decent because we're totally not the cookie cutter gated community types. We don't mind diversity in a neighborhood.. but don't also want to really have to worry whether or not someone's going to try and break into our car if it's not in a garage. I'm thinking that probably cuts out the area around the zoo! We don't have to worry about any sort of commute.. both me and the hubby work at home. And we don't have to worry about schools either since we homeschool our 11 and 9 year old and plan on it for the 10 month old when he gets to school age! Things we like to do.. garden, blow glass, astronomy (not real great in the city if there's a lot of light around!), bike and rollerblade, and go to the beach when we can manage! Right now we're just trying to figure out how far out to look just in case we do need to make a trip over to Children's, as long as the commute there were right around an hour we'd be alright, but the closer the better and plus it just seems like more in town would be what we were looking for rather than all those new gated builds out in Wesley Chapel and whatnot! So please feel free to suggest some areas for our family to check out and places to avoid! Thanks so much!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,069,344 times
Real estate (buying) market took a massive dump.

Nobody's buying because they're either 1) underwater on their current mortgage and stuck, 2) don't have the money, or 3) waiting out the price free fall, seeing how low it goes.

Therefore everyone's renting.

When everyone rents, supply falls. When supply falls but demand remains the same or increases, prices increase.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 PM

13,772 posts, read 35,123,042 times
What is your price range? There is no place 100% safe unfortunately. I would check out Seminole Heights if you like older homes, pretty good schools too. A lot of the homes are on the historic homes list. You are close to the interstate if you have to go to St. Pete, but also close to St. Joes.

You could check out Carrollwood too. Older neighborhood but may be more cookie cutter than you would like.

I have heard that many foreigners are buying up properties so they can rent them out.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,477,092 times
Supply and demand. People cant get loans so they have to live somewhere. People who are not completely destitute would rather live in a house than an apartment...

It's not too hard to understand.

If you think it's too expensive in Pinellas, I suggest you try West Pasco, I bet you would like it there.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 AM

34 posts, read 68,563 times
Thanks Keeper!
I saw someone post about avoiding areas with "Heights" in the name so I wasn't sure if Seminole Heights was a good place or not, but some of the houses do look really cute and priced accordingly! I also saw someone said to avoid areas where the streets are numbered rather than named?!? We've been around the Carrollwood and T&C areas before and there are some nice places there. What about the Lake Magdalene or Egypt Lake-Leto areas? Basically I'm just wondering if it makes sense to stay west of 275 and north of MLK Blvd.? I'm sure like anywhere there's "pockets" of areas that we wouldn't want to live in.. just like here there's places in Largo and Clearwater that are total no go's.

Thanks again!!

Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 PM

17,334 posts, read 11,405,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Supply and demand. People cant get loans so they have to live somewhere. People who are not completely destitute would rather live in a house than an apartment...

It's not too hard to understand.

If you think it's too expensive in Pinellas, I suggest you try West Pasco, I bet you would like it there.
They can rent a small 2bedroom house for $500 a month or less all day long in West Pasco.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,127,806 times
Rent prices are higher, that is definately happening all over. Prices are increasing because of demand. Home prices can continue to fall all they want, although you will see many areas across the country that this isn't the case, but if you can't qualify for a mortgage you're not getting one.
Investors bought and are buying a lot of homes. They're back on the market the next month prices where the owner can make a 10%, 20% or higher rate of return on thier money.
But it is demand.
I like the Carrollwood area as well. It is hard to compare that area though to others since I am not really sure what you are looking for other than 'not a cookie cutter gated community'. If Astronomy is also a hobby, have you looked at areas a little further North in Pasco County or even over by Zephyrhills? How about Plant City or Lakeland?
Your home situation sounds pretty flexible since work/school is done in the house.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,477,092 times
It's because broke ass irresponsible people cant get financing now that the banks are actually doing proper jobs in underwriting.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:24 AM

26,798 posts, read 41,511,171 times
Demand is what is setting the prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyho View Post
Geez what is up with the rental market?! It's been almost a year since we moved back and it has been ridiculously overpriced. Our last place we were in for almost 5 years was in the Bardmoor area of Largo, 3/2/2 almost 1700 sq. ft. and $1375. Anymore you're lucky to get a 3/1/carport with 1000 sq ft. at $1200!! Not to mention it seems like no one wants to accept pets either! I'm just glad my mother enjoys having us live with her.. no matter how much I'd like to pull my hair out! LOL! We had considered moving up to the Spring Hill area but since our daughter makes regular trips to All Children's we really can't risk her needing to go there and it being 2+ hours away! We've been considering moving over to Tampa since the prices look to be better at least but about the only area that we know that isn't too bad is Carrolwood since when we first moved down here we were considering a place there. We've been through some other little areas here and there from when we'd buy things off Craigslist or checked out a couple Asian (Japanese/Korean) grocery stores for some of the food we like, but other than that we're pretty clueless when it comes to the Tampa area.

Soooo.. where are the decent areas in Tampa? I say decent because we're totally not the cookie cutter gated community types. We don't mind diversity in a neighborhood.. but don't also want to really have to worry whether or not someone's going to try and break into our car if it's not in a garage. I'm thinking that probably cuts out the area around the zoo! We don't have to worry about any sort of commute.. both me and the hubby work at home. And we don't have to worry about schools either since we homeschool our 11 and 9 year old and plan on it for the 10 month old when he gets to school age! Things we like to do.. garden, blow glass, astronomy (not real great in the city if there's a lot of light around!), bike and rollerblade, and go to the beach when we can manage! Right now we're just trying to figure out how far out to look just in case we do need to make a trip over to Children's, as long as the commute there were right around an hour we'd be alright, but the closer the better and plus it just seems like more in town would be what we were looking for rather than all those new gated builds out in Wesley Chapel and whatnot! So please feel free to suggest some areas for our family to check out and places to avoid! Thanks so much!!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM

15,841 posts, read 33,188,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Demand is what is setting the prices!
That's right. I can't remember EVER seeing the rental market this strong. Where I live, people can barely find ANYTHING let alone at a "good" price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay