Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 PM

24 posts, read 44,502 times

Advertisements

(many) popular restaurants are closed Sundays, shops in downtown St Pete and Ybor too. I can't even get a realtor to return a call on Saturday or Sunday, what is up with that? Why does business shut down on the weekends there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 02:39 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I never found that to be true especially restaurants. I suspect realtors don't call you back on the weekend because they are out showing houses. I know some Mom & Pop stores close on Sunday in many areas

Old 04-29-2012, 02:44 PM

i have a memo that my friends gave me on must-try restaurants and most of them close Sundays: WrightsDeli, Tropicana Cafe, can't recall the others. Also the shops in downtown St Pete, Clearwater, South Tampa, many of them are closed. I have been to visit 2 weekends now and it's very frustrating.

also when do people call and ask about listings other than on weekends? realtors are doing their clients/home owners a disservice by not answering buyers' calls on weekends. if i don't get a realtor on the weekend, i move on to the next listing/agent who answers the phone. i certainly don't have time to call about houses during the week when i work.....

Old 04-29-2012, 03:49 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride3 View Post
(many) popular restaurants are closed Sundays, shops in downtown St Pete and Ybor too. I can't even get a realtor to return a call on Saturday or Sunday, what is up with that? Why does business shut down on the weekends there?
Are you talking about St Petersburg, Russia?

Seriously though, maybe those particular restaurants and shops cater to office workers or business workers in the downtown area and when they're not working (Sat/Sun), there aren't enough customers to make a profit.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 PM

No i can assure you i am talking about the USA. here's some more places from my list that are closed on sundays and close early on saturdays

perhaps someone can shed light on this mystery? surely business owners must know the business they are losing by closing half the weekend, when people actually have time for shopping, recreation etc

Haslams bookstore
Old Tampa Book Company in Tampa
Central avenue antique shops, furniture places, galleries a ghost town on Sundays
Mazzaros Market
Restaurants along Central Ave like Pipos, many others
Cupcake bakery on 4th, heck most bakeries are closed Sundays and/or Saturdays
Most 4th Street shops are all closed on Sundays
Manatee viewing center at TECO plant

and so on

its like that city shuts down starting at 5 p.m. on Saturdays (in terms of shops and well-rated restaurants)

Old 04-29-2012, 04:41 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Not sure where the OP is looking, I dont see that stuff anywhere. This isnt the bible belt

Old 04-29-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
No i can assure you i am talking about the USA. here's some more places from my list that are closed on sundays and close early on saturdays

perhaps someone can shed light on this mystery? surely business owners must know the business they are losing by closing half the weekend, when people actually have time for shopping, recreation etc

Haslams bookstore
Old Tampa Book Company in Tampa
Central avenue antique shops, furniture places, galleries a ghost town on Sundays
Mazzaros Market
Restaurants along Central Ave like Pipos, many others
Cupcake bakery on 4th, heck most bakeries are closed Sundays and/or Saturdays
Most 4th Street shops are all closed on Sundays
Manatee viewing center at TECO plant
Maybe because most of those places are mom and pop type places and they want to not work 7 days a week.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM

if that is the case, and it's actually not a bible belt thing, then they should close on Mondays, not during weekends when people are off and have money to spend

most of these places are destinations themselves or located in destination areas, and being closed on sunday turns these areas into a ghost town and a big bummer for visitors; i don't understand how the main areas for visitors to see and hang out in, like downtown st. pete, can be half to 3/4 closed for half the weekend?????

Old 04-29-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
if that is the case, and it's actually not a bible belt thing, then they should close on Mondays, not during weekends when people are off and have money to spend

most of these places are destinations themselves or located in destination areas, and being closed on sunday turns these areas into a ghost town and a big bummer for visitors; i don't understand how the main areas for visitors to see and hang out in, like downtown st. pete, can be half to 3/4 closed for half the weekend?????
Maybe go somewhere else to shop then... it obviously is working out for them or they would be out of business.

If you want to see stuff closed on Sunday, try North Carolina, Alabama, pretty much everywhere in the bible belt. You cant even buy a car on Sunday in a lot of places.

Your little niche shopping places obviously have their reasons for not being open Sunday. I guess their question to you would be "why would you want to shop on sunday when you can go any other day of the week"

Old 04-29-2012, 05:43 PM

my understanding is that many small businesses in Florida fail, perhaps this is one reason why

too bad.

as for why would i want to shop on sunday instead of another day, i think that's obvious. but maybe the next time i see someone down on Central Avenue in St. Pete or in Hyde Park Village trying to open the door to a local business that is closed on Saturday or Sunday that same question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay