Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:52 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,680,221 times

Advertisements

See and this is the reason why I won't invest in a home. YES, it IS a buyer's market, but the insurance and taxes are entirely too high...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 11:15 PM

68 posts, read 287,848 times
Quote:
I ended up taking a position doing the same thing I was doing for $3.50 less an hour
An employer/employee contract is a voluntary agreement between two people. Employers will always pay the minimum that an employee would accept, so until that changes, wages will remain low here. It's basic economics.

Quote:
i do not understand why the politicians do not see eliminating property taxes as a way to save this state.
I don't know how we would pay for schools/roads without a property tax, unless we levied an income tax like most states do. But that would probably be just as or more expensive.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
See and this is the reason why I won't invest in a home. YES, it IS a buyer's market, but the insurance and taxes are entirely too high...
You pay property taxes whether you own a home or not. You just don't realize it.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 AM

We pay taxes out to everything, and don't even realize it-but I am most def not paying out $150-$500 a month on property taxes either....

Old 12-29-2007, 06:15 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,196,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
We pay taxes out to everything, and don't even realize it-but I am most def not paying out $150-$500 a month on property taxes either....
If you pay rent your rent increases every year. I hope you like hunting for a new apartment every time your lease is up. Rent includes property taxes, HOA fees, maintenance, etc.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:51 PM

LOL, I am the assistant manager at an apartment community in Brandon. Rents go up not due to taxes, but it's the market. When other apartment communities raise their rent, we do too....we find out through market surverys....if they throw a deal, so do we. It's all about competition, that's why we call the other properties our comps. He have no HOA fees, we are our own apartment community, no maintenance fees, we have maintenance here on site that we pay and fix things for free for the residents-to keep our property up that we own....and property taxes yes-there's no way we don't have them, but corporate handles that, atleast I assume so because I never get a bill for anything. I do pay the monthly bills and a mortgage is NOT one of them that comes in the mail. Not to be mean or rude, but it's just the way this works. I assume I help with their property tax, however I also get 20% discount. So, I get a break. I hope I wasn't offensive in any way, shape or form.

Last edited by mquintana; 12-29-2007 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-30-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Rents go up not due to taxes, but it's the market.
If taxes go up, they are eventually passed on to the end-user (the renter). It might not be noticeable that taxes are causing the rental increase, but I assure you they are. It may not happen immediately.

If taxes go up $100/unit do you think the apartment complexes just eat that charge? Comps go up everywhere, because the super-cheap places can't afford to be super-cheap anymore (and go out of business or raise prices), and that causes a cascade upward in rental prices everywhere. Like I said it doesn't happen overnight, but anytime taxes go up they get passed on to the actual inhabitant of the dwelling.

I think you may be right though that rental prices haven't caught up yet, but they will.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_dad View Post
If taxes go up, they are eventually passed on to the end-user (the renter). It might not be noticeable that taxes are causing the rental increase, but I assure you they are. It may not happen immediately.

If taxes go up $100/unit do you think the apartment complexes just eat that charge? Comps go up everywhere, because the super-cheap places can't afford to be super-cheap anymore (and go out of business or raise prices), and that causes a cascade upward in rental prices everywhere. Like I said it doesn't happen overnight, but anytime taxes go up they get passed on to the actual inhabitant of the dwelling.

I think you may be right though that rental prices haven't caught up yet, but they will.
I say that because the last time our rents went up was over 1 yr. ago and it was only $10. I once worked for a company who raised the rents $20 every 2 weeks because they thought they could get more money out of people for the crappy apartments they were offering---so I quit there. But yeah-rents have hardley been raised. I guess it all also depends on the management company and the manangement as well. Because here we hardley raise them--at the other property-they raised it ridiculously! but the riaing of the rents had nothing to do with the taxes, because at the time I was working there, the market was great and people were purchasing homes left and right.

Last edited by mquintana; 12-31-2007 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: Forgot something

Old 12-31-2007, 10:47 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,657,087 times
You should know why Florida does not want to eliminate property tax- because it means that Government would no longer control all the property in the state. Remember when the homestead exemption was more than some properties were worth? That meant the owner was really an owner and could not lose the property. This state needs money to waste so the politicians can get rich. I think that over 60% of the money they take in is wasted. Florida already gets a salex tax and gas taxes, and miscellaneous fees, that's plenty of money. I would support a sales tax on investment property capital gains but never one on homestead properties. If there was no homestead property tax Florida would become the #1 state and business would thrive. Businesses would pay taxes based on profits earned. Of course it will not happen in this state or any state.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:48 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,430,952 times
what a joke!!, you think he gives a poop, he dosent even read his email
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay