U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:46 PM

54 posts, read 104,985 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm considering moving from DC to Tampa and was hoping to tap all of your wisdom.

-I'm envisioning myself in a 1 bedroom apartment with a balcony and an amazing water-view
-I'm a late 20's newly single guy and would also like to be close to Tampa's vibrant areas, especially vibrant areas that might have a lot of friendly, witty, and attractive women who might be looking for potential suitors
-After paying DC rents, it sounds like rent won't be an issue in Tampa, but I'd probably prefer to pay around $1,500 per month or less (how much do utilities usually cost with the A/C running all the time?)
-A hot tub in the building might be nice

It's sounding like something on Bayshore Blvd would be ideal for what I'm looking for. Do you think?

Do you know any buildings that are most likely to fit the bill?

How is the commute down Bayshore to MacDill?

Anything I haven't thought of?

Thanks everybody!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,832,034 times
I'm not sure about how one goes about renting some of units in the towers along Bayshore, as I am sure most of those are owned condos. However, I am sure they get rented- especially in this market.

There is an apartment complex on Bayshore, I think it is called Bay Oaks. We looked at them whenever we moved down here and were not impressed at all considering the price and condition of the units. Basically, only 5% of the units have a view of the bay anyhow...only plus about the place was proximity to the bay for running, etc.

Commute to MacDill from there is very simple...you will be going against traffic down Bayshore to Gandy, can't get any easier.

Personally, I'd look for one of the high rises downtown or few condos around SoHo or somewhere else honestly...especially if meeting people is your desire. I've always thought the populations in those towers along bayshore were elderly.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:37 PM

54 posts, read 104,985 times
Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that the Bayshore area would be older. So it sounds like you can find great view or younger spot, but not both? Not sure which I'd pick on that one.

What did you go with after Bay Oaks? Definitely doesn't sound like a winner.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM

272 posts, read 542,942 times
On the MLS I see 1 1/1 in your price range (1100/month) in an older building. Another 1/1 for 1600/month in a newer building (345 BAYSHORE BLVD.) Not sure if the second one has a view or not though.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,475,180 times
There is a fairly new tower at platt and bayshore that is mostly empty from what I hear, may be out of your price range

Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,832,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Transplant? View Post
Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that the Bayshore area would be older. So it sounds like you can find great view or younger spot, but not both? Not sure which I'd pick on that one.

What did you go with after Bay Oaks? Definitely doesn't sound like a winner.
Well, I have always assumed from a mixture of what I see and hear that a lot of Bayshore and the surrounding blocks are older money...and there really isn't anything ON Bayshore or even decent walking distance for someone of a younger age.

Don't get me wrong, it would be cool for the view- I just think it kind of stops there as for as attraction to living there.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,202,560 times
Have you considered Channelside? That would seem to be a good fit for you.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,475,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Especially if you have a view of the port or the ghetto

Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 AM

420 posts, read 780,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Well, I have always assumed from a mixture of what I see and hear that a lot of Bayshore and the surrounding blocks are older money...and there really isn't anything ON Bayshore or even decent walking distance for someone of a younger age.

Don't get me wrong, it would be cool for the view- I just think it kind of stops there as for as attraction to living there.
Don't let this information sway you from ruling Bayshore off your list. Howard Ave is a great place to eat and drink so anything close to Howard is a quick drive or bike-ride away. The commute onto MacDill is uncomparable and you will be grateful to be living so close. Just do a walk-through of the various buildings that you're itnerested in and get a feel for it.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 AM

12,966 posts, read 10,811,167 times
Most of Channelside (except maybe right around the entertainment complex) is a postindustrial wasteland. Harbor Island, on the other hand, seemed very nice (and an easy walk to the Channelside entertainment complex.) If I would move to Tampa, and wanted a condo, I'd look there or on Bayshore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or