Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 PM

20 posts, read 31,960 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from NYC. My wife and I moved to Homosassa, FL over a year ago, to be closer to her family. However, I miss my city and want to move some where that's walkable. We're considering moving back, but for now, I'd like to know what my options are in the Tampa Bay area.

I checked out a lot of Central Ave, St. Pete and downtown Tampa. St. Pete seemed to be mostly art galleries and restaurants (maybe I was just in the wrong part), and downtown Tampa seemed to have a very high homeless population. I also explored Orlando, near Lake Eola, but it seems to be too focused on night-life. We'd prefer to be away from drunk college students :-P.

Requirements:
  1. I want to be able to get around by walking or riding a bicycle. Grocery store, coffee shops, cafes, bookstores.
  2. Must be safe and family-friendly. We have a baby on the way :-).
  3. Must be pet-friendly. We have 2 dogs - A lab and a shepherd/pharaoh hound mix (75lbs and 38lbs, full grown).
  4. 2-3 Bedrooms
Budget: $1000-$1400/month

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
You already posted many similar threads to this a few months ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...l#post22862545

The answers really aren't going to be any different this time.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,030 times
Well gypsychic, that should keep him coming back and providing content to these forums. Couldn't that one have been a direct message?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Well gypsychic, that should keep him coming back and providing content to these forums. Couldn't that one have been a direct message?
Providing "content" how? Merely pointing out that this poster has asked multiple times recently this same question; but is unhappy with all the answers; and there are no different answers to be given this time around.

What they are looking for does NOT exist here.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Providing "content" how? Merely pointing out that this poster has asked multiple times recently this same question; but is unhappy with all the answers; and there are no different answers to be given this time around.

What they are looking for does NOT exist here.
Thank you! Good I saw that before I waste my time.

Some people just keep posting the same thing just in case something different pop up . Or something similar to what they want to read.

There is also a ton of answer on similar question here:

FYI:

How to use the search feature.

1) Click the "search" drop down menu.
2) Click "advanced search"
3) You have two option: searching the "title" or "body" of the message. I usually use the title option first. That will bring all posts that has similar questions asked. For example if you type "palm harbor", you will get all the question asked about palm harbor. But palm harbor can also be mention in a discussion of Dunedin. In that case, use the "body" search option.

4) You can limit your seacrch to header forum as "Florida" or sub forums like "Tampa Bay".

This search feature is pretty good. I don't know why people don't use it often.

If Shaq and I can do it, you can do it too

Last edited by Pragmaticus; 05-07-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You already posted many similar threads to this a few months ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...l#post22862545

The answers really aren't going to be any different this time.
Yes, but that thread was mostly filled with people saying that I'm not going to find NY in FL, which is not what I'm asking. I'm just looking for a nice walkable area. I posted in the Tampa Bay section this time to see what's available in this specific area.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
These requirements are not found in Florida.

However, the only area I can think of that might have "some" walkability is Carrollwood/Northdale...but definitely NOT NYC style.

Did you not re-search before moving? Homosassa? OMG....that's like the furthest thing from NYC! Might as well get a cow, and adjust to country living! LOLOL Kidding!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 AM

35 posts, read 82,735 times
Hi there, Imissthecity,

My wife and I are moving to the area from West Palm Beach and are looking for the same thing (the best possible walkability, family and pet friendly)

After looking at many parts of South Tampa and St. Pete, we decided our first choice is Old Northeast neighborhood in St. Pete.

We consider around a mile of distance to be walkable, even in the summer heat. We do it all the time in West Palm Beach and Old Northeast in St. Pete would be even more walkable for us. We also realize that the neighborhood is somewhat close to bad sections of town, but that's a tradeoff when living close to any downtown.

South Tampa can give you similar walkability in the Palma Ceia or Hyde Park areas but for us, Old Northeast just seems like a good match.

Good luck in your search!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
These requirements are not found in Florida.

However, the only area I can think of that might have "some" walkability is Carrollwood/Northdale...but definitely NOT NYC style.

Did you not re-search before moving? Homosassa? OMG....that's like the furthest thing from NYC! Might as well get a cow, and adjust to country living! LOLOL Kidding!
Research didn't really matter at the time. My wife's grandfather had cancer and we were just trying to find a nice house to rent and get as close as we could, not necessarily be happy with the area or walkability.

Yes, definitely the furthest thing from NYC. It's quite.. scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacothedog View Post
Hi there, Imissthecity,

My wife and I are moving to the area from West Palm Beach and are looking for the same thing (the best possible walkability, family and pet friendly)

After looking at many parts of South Tampa and St. Pete, we decided our first choice is Old Northeast neighborhood in St. Pete.

We consider around a mile of distance to be walkable, even in the summer heat. We do it all the time in West Palm Beach and Old Northeast in St. Pete would be even more walkable for us. We also realize that the neighborhood is somewhat close to bad sections of town, but that's a tradeoff when living close to any downtown.

South Tampa can give you similar walkability in the Palma Ceia or Hyde Park areas but for us, Old Northeast just seems like a good match.

Good luck in your search!
A mile would be reasonable if walking a mile got me some place I wanted to go. I guess it'd depend on what's there. A mile is nothing on a bicycle .

Thanks for the replies :-). Time to do some exploring on Google Maps.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:56 AM

72 posts, read 131,138 times
downtown St. Pete or maybe South Tampa. St. Pete seems like your best match, from what I've seen. If you're in south Tampa, near bayshore blvd or really close to downtown, that's going to be your most urban area you can find, I'd imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay