Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 AM

61 posts, read 135,370 times

Advertisements

A big reason, the main reason actually I'm attracted to Tampa is the ocean, sun, and palm trees. Probably true for a lot of people. Reasonable cost of living and proximity to Miami and Orlando are good things as well in my book.

There is a strong perception in the midwest that any place in Florida or California should only be visited. Eventually, you'll have to pay bills there, deal with stress, and it will be identical to your life wherever you already are.

I see it like having a nice house...you'll always have that comfortable feeling of being in the house. Could really be anything. In Tampa, You always have the ocean and palm trees around you. They'll usually bring up some argument about how the economy is so terrible there, you shouldn't move, vacation spots only, too much crime (like the midwest is somehow exempt) etc.

So can someone tell me...after moving to Tampa...is the initial appeal still there? Or after a few months or years of being there...is it just business as usual similar to before you moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 04:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I've been here for 1 1/2 yrs and noticed that I'm taking the weather, the beach, and other things for granted. When I visited here from colder climates over the years, I remember that great feeling about being in the warmth, sun, etc. It's not like that anymore for me. There are more positives about living here, imo - mostly weather related and there are a lot of things for me to do here in Tampa -but I do miss hills/mountains, small towns that the northern states offer. I visit upstate NY during the summers and really enjoy the hills, forests, farmland, cooler air, etc. - but would never live there permanently - weather is too miserable during the winter/fall and even springtime.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:34 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,860 times
I've always felt that I would get bored living full-time in Central or South Fla., because you don't get the change of seasons.

I couldn't see myself living there, but it's definitely a dream of mine to vacation there a few months a year.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Disclaimer: I am not saying this in a negative way. This is realty for a lot of people weather you choose to believe it or not.

This is true, day to day life here is the same for an average person as it would be in North Dakota minus the snow shoveling.
UNLESS you are retired on a lot of money, snowbird here for 6 months at a time on a lot of money, or a dentist (LOLOL) or work from home 3 times a week and have the rest to yourself to enjoy this area, life WILL become what it was somewhere else. As long as you're 9 to 5 this place is no different than anywhere else. The exception is that while sitting in mid west traffic thinking how nice it would be on the beach doing nothing, here, you're going to think, "damn, the beach is right there and I have no time to get to it!"! LOL

So yes, in theory, (because many people don't practice this) it is nicer to come and vacation here for 2, 3 weeks, because that way, you actually have a budget so you're not restricted financially, you Can do "nothing", and have the opportunity to peacefully enjoy what this area has to offer. If you're stuck on a 9 to 5, by week 6 you will be very tired and won't want to do anything but sit in AC and watch TV! (of course many won't admit it....we know enough people to know this living here 10 years now.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime83 View Post
There is a strong perception in the midwest that any place in Florida or California should only be visited. Eventually, you'll have to pay bills there, deal with stress, and it will be identical to your life wherever you already are.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
I have been here since November 2008. I recently went from permavacationer to "local", where I have settled in and Tampa has become home, as opposed to a vacation.

I still probably say a few times a month "I cant believe I get to live here", every time I see palm trees or water. Especially driving over the howard franklin or courtney campbell causeway or on bayshore.

The hardest part about living here is working. I know I could be at some of the best beaches in the country, but I am stuck at a desk. I used to work SUN-WED which was awesome. I now work MON-FRI.

I dont care what anyone says, the "tropical buzz", while it has worn off for the most part, is still more prevelant in my mind than if I were living in the Northeast or Midwest. Regardless of when it wears off, it is a win-win.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:09 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
I think the snowbirds have it best. I'll be one next winter. And we don't all have "a lot of money".

Old 04-01-2011, 06:24 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
I've been here a couple years and I'm still in love with it.

I love the sun, I love the beach, just being able to see the water while I drive over a bridge, the weather (minus the last few days, those were awful, but unusual), the fact that there is so much to do, the subtle difference in culture than where I'm from.

I don't know if I'm taking things for granted yet, and I'm not sure I ever will. I'm still in love with the fact that I find things like baby turtles in my yard (that happened yesterday~ so adorable!) and the sun shines on me most of the time. I feel like I belong here, which probably has something to do with my dad growing up in Clearwater and having other relatives around.

I work for myself so I'm blessed to be flexible enough to be able to get out and do things when it's a bit less busy. I will admit I do not like it when things are SO busy with out of state people that it takes me 50 minutes to make a 15 minute drive to my favorite beach, but I'm just gonna suck that up because I know we need the tourists.

But, your life is going to follow you. You can't run away from who you are and yes, you move to Florida and you live in a house and go to work and raise the kids just like anywhere else. Your problems will be the same. Nothing is solved just by moving.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,767 times
Go spend the winter where you never see the sun and when you come back the buzz returns. If that doesn't work try a Mai Tai in a pineapple, with a girl in a bikini (or insert your personal preference here). That might jumpstart you. Sadly my lab needs a major waxing before donning a suit. Likes the pineapple tho.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:12 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Born and raised here and have NEVER gotten tired of it - I wake up every day and count my blessings that I get to live here. My husband is from the midwest and has also lived in Europe - he feels the same way - he LOVES it here and would never go back to midwest or Europe.

As Maggi pointed out, at the end of the day you have to live and work here, if one comes here with problems, the tropical setting won't solve them. For me, I would live nowhere else.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I still probably say a few times a month "I cant believe I get to live here", every time I see palm trees or water. Especially driving over the howard franklin or courtney campbell causeway or on bayshore.
I have lived here my entire life and still think about how lucky I am to live here when I drive across the Courtney Campbell or Howard Franklin. It is absolutely beautiful and a site that most people never get to see in their lifetimes.

I think a lot of the "tropical buzz" depends on the type of person you are. I am the type of person that makes myself stop and really look at everything around me every once in a while. On Wednesday when a smaller storm was rolling in, I took a break, went outside and just really looked at the the rolling clouds. It was amazing to watch. I looked at the details of the clouds and how tiny pieces of each cloud would roll into other pieces.

We see storm clouds a lot here in FL, but how many times do you take the time to really appreciate the beauty of one? It is the same thing with the beach, or the little field you pass with the cows grazing. I think that the tropical buzz wears off when you let it wear off. How long do you want it to last? For me, it has lasted 32 years and I am not even much of a beach person, but I can appreciate the beauty in it and how lucky I am to be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay