Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 05:09 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,092,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anya3 View Post
I've heard it was really good. Are the lines really as long as they say?
It is super good, but unfortunately- the lines are long. Getting there early will still help a lot, but in just the past year...the crowds seemed to have doubled.

The first time we went, we probably waited in a line of 10 or so people...now, the soup or pad thai lines can be 60-100 people deep. It gets crowded and since the lines run next to each other, there isn't a lot of wiggle room...they only have the deck to work with.

However, it is worth it...to experience something different, enjoy great food with a view, and dive into a culture you may not be familiar with- how often can you get all of that in the same place?

Most people visiting for the first time are highly surprised with just the amount of people there and the great experience they have...coupled with "I can't believe I have lived here for xx years and never heard of this." You hear that a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 05:13 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,092,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Oh, I forgot to add my secret places/things in the region:

Fried clams/shrimp at Ballast Point Pier's Taste of Boston
I was told Taste of Boston is either relocating or opening another location on Davis Island where the Pink Flamingo was at.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,377,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Taco Bus is "amazing" if you have never lived in Texas, California or Mexico and know what a good taco is supposed to taste like. Unfortunately there is no good taco place in the Tampa area. With Taco Bus I think people are more enamored with the whole concept of Taco Bus and don't pay attention to the fact that the fillings (I am talking about the protein) are made with very cheap (and old) ingredients and the tortillas are not homemade and taste like cardboard.
Sounds like you had one bad experience on a bad day there and want to ruin it for everyone else.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:05 PM

451 posts, read 930,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
Sounds like you had one bad experience on a bad day there and want to ruin it for everyone else.
I've been to Taco Bus a handful of times at different locations (the original, the st. pete, the downtown tampa location) and have to agree with planedition. The experience is worth having once, but the food is inauthentic and made of ingredients of marginal quality. And the prices... way more expensive than what they should be. (edited to add-- a lot of people like Taco Bus and I don't want to take anything away from them. If I had a friend visiting and they wanted tacos, I wouldn't list Taco Bus over a few other options that seem to put a bit more effort and tradition into what they prepare. TB is certainly fun though)

A good (see also: great) alternative is Acapulco Mexican Grocery. It's a grocery up front with a few tables and a grill in back. Authentic, traditional style mexican tacos (tortillas, meat, onions and cilantro served with a bowl of limes and a salsa or two) that are a buck or two each. Meat optoins include pollo, carnitas, al pastor, sesina, tripas, etc. Menudo on Saturdays and Sundays.

--- ---

Also, Wat Tampa kicks ass, and the lines aren't usually too bad, no longer than a 10 minute wait for awesome food. Don't miss the grilled meats by the florist next to the river!

Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM

485 posts, read 1,009,357 times
Thinktank is right on the money.

I heard Wimauma has good tacos. I will report back!

Road through Wimauma paved with tacos - Tampa Bay Times

Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM

64 posts, read 109,798 times
Thank you, SeaSpur for the additional information!

I second the Taste of Boston, the one near us is very casual and quite good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay