Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:58 AM

55 posts, read 170,783 times

Advertisements

This looks like fun, I have never been to the zoo. Anybody ever been?

Bring mom to the Zoo for Mother’s Day and she gets in for free! On Saturday, May 12 or Sunday, May 13, moms receive free admission with the purchase of their son’s or daughter’s full-priced admission ticket (paid ticket can be child or adult admission, as applicable).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 02:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I haven't been in a while but it is a really nice zoo. They have all types animals even a nursery that you can check out. It isn't a big zoo but it is nice plus you can walk near the river

Old 05-11-2012, 06:43 PM

239 posts, read 671,115 times
It depends on what other zoos you have been to and what you consider a "nice" zoo. It is highly rated locally as a place to go. We have been to some really awesome zoos and some really awful zoos (although I try to avoid the latter at all costs because it makes me sad). We weren't overly impressed compared to the best zoos we have seen but it isn't bad. A bit small and smelly in some places but overall not a bad day. We enjoyed it but once was enough for us. Not sure if that helped.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:11 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Is this Zoo in anyway shape or form, anything like Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando? I actually want to go to a real zoo and we don't have one in Orlando.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:32 PM

55 posts, read 170,783 times
I see they go the same special at the Florida Aquarium for mom too. Anybody been there? oh, now I can't decide! They both look like a fun day ...

Old 05-12-2012, 02:13 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
I've been to both. You can spend more time at the zoo. Both have a little water area for the little ones to play in. The Aquarium has a better water area, with a fake boat to climb. You can sip a nice alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink while watching your kids play in the water. The Aquarium, you can be done in about an hour or so. The zoo would take longer. There is also a boat ride up the Hillsborough River (or at least there use to be), for an extra fee. You can feed the laurakeet birds when you buy their very expensive (IMO) nectar. If you plan on doing that, go first thing, because the birds get full and don't want to come to you to feed after a while. Then you've paid $5 for nothing.

Last edited by annaegel; 05-12-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 04:49 PM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,831 times
OMG how adorable!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z3D...are_video_user

Old 04-02-2014, 04:52 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineandBlueSkies View Post
I see they go the same special at the Florida Aquarium for mom too. Anybody been there? oh, now I can't decide! They both look like a fun day ...
I've been to this Zoo, and it is a "once enough" kind of place. Nothing special.
The Aquarium is really boring, again, I went once and don't plan to return even if it's free. I have no idea why it is so highly rated; either the people rating it have never seen a real Zoo, or they are missing half their brains.

I love to play tourist, but as a tourist these places did nothing for me but waste half my day.

I rather go to Animal Kingdom.

I feel like I should mention the Zoo is in a really awful part of town too, that alone is a detractor for me, and the Aquarium is in Channelside...the depleted/deserted area of Tampa. You wouldn't know you're in Florida when visiting these places. Disappointing at best.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,607,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
You can sip a nice alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink while watching your kids play in the water.
That's very refreshing to know especially while "watching kids"!!!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:51 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,821,831 times
Negativity aside, it's all in the eye of the beholder - and interest level. Being an animal lover, a supporter in various forms, etc., I don't need the Taj Mahal of zoos for it to be enjoyable or to earn my admiration. And I'm sure there are others who feel the same. I can't tell you how many times I've watched a show on an animal rescue/rehabilitation (wild cats, manatees, dolphins, etc.) and the Lowry Park Zoo was involved. That gets my vote!

And I can't help but add this about them: " The Zoo operates the only non-profit manatee hospital in the world and to date the hospital has cared for more than 330 manatees."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: