Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:05 AM

3 posts, read 2,711 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Florida with my 2 boys 15 & 8 they come from an area in Ohio that has really good schools. My oldest son has IEP but my 8 yr is doing 4th & 5th grade work and in 2nd grade. I am currently seperated from my husband and will be doing this on my own. I have a friend in Saint Petersburg that is why Im wanting to move there but I am up for any other advice from anyone from Florida on where to move to. I am currently on Section 8 but I am looking for a good area. Can someone please help me. Thanks for any input you can give me. I just do not want to move somewhere and be in a neighborhood full of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 06:50 AM

26,864 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Check out the city of Seminole which borders St Petersburg on the northwest side. It has had a long history of "A" rated schools, is a well-established/middle class area and has a low crime rate.

*** I completely missed your mention of Section 8. That'll make it more difficult but not impossible given your desire for better schools. Clearwater has a number of options but parts of the city I would not recommend. Feel free to send me a Direct Message and I can help you match up places to live with quality of schools.

Last edited by kyle19125; 05-14-2012 at 07:03 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 03:47 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,787,598 times
I think there is a long waiting list for Section 8 in FLorida. Also, that will put you in bad school zones. Many areas of St. Pete are very rough.

If you have a good school zone and can stay where you are, I would most definately stay. You are taking a HUGE risk coming down here.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:59 AM

792 posts, read 2,282,260 times
It really all boils down to what you can afford to pay for housing. Answer that and then people can point you to the best areas in that price range.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 AM

3 posts, read 6,421 times
I hear FL is bad in crime rate . Is it safe to raise a family ? I have two
Very young children an currently live in new Jersey , way to expensive an no jobs .
How's things in FL with that ?

Old 08-09-2012, 07:44 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,698,626 times
Click on the link below. It's the St. Petersburg Housing Authority website. Section 8 housing is closed- and all public housing housing is closed. You'd have to go on a wait list and that could take years.

Before even thinking of moving if you have to depend upon Section 8 or public housing always check with the local housing authorities to see if a move is even possible. At this point in time you might be better off staying put.Good luck

Saint Petersburg Housing Authority

Old 08-09-2012, 09:06 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,249,729 times
I am sorry to say, but "section 8 & good schools" don't belong in the same sentence in Florida anywhere. I would be VERY CAREFUL about looking for such places here especially having kids.

Are you section 8 because you're disabled?

If not, I suggest you get a better job, save more money, and then have a real ability to make such move.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:57 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,958,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I am sorry to say, but "section 8 & good schools" don't belong in the same sentence in Florida anywhere. I would be VERY CAREFUL about looking for such places here especially having kids.

Are you section 8 because you're disabled?

If not, I suggest you get a better job, save more money, and then have a real ability to make such move.
I know as far as tampa there is some section 8 housing in North Hyde Park, that area is gentrifying, driven by the the proximity to University of Tampa, SOHO and the school boundaries. Tampa redrew the boundaries to include some of the north of kennedy blvd neighborhoods to diversify the schools in order to qualify for a federal grant, so there is like a 8 block area where would get you into those schools.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:40 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,974,817 times
If you're looking for "good schools" then look up "Rick Scott" first. If his policies on free education weren't bad enough for you, then look up "USF budget cut" and then look up "Florida universities getting cut." In other words, to solve Florida's budget problems, you just keep trimming from education.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 13,479 times
If I were you, I would look into magnet schools in pinellas county! There are a lot of great schools here for your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay