Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM

484 posts, read 760,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Poincianas are beautiful! I never see them around Tampa but my hometown of Naples, FL has them everywhere. It is a shame we are just outside of their zone.

If you wanted to invest in a tree that is equally beautiful and thrives in Tampa, I would recommend one of these.

Jacaranda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very similar tree, but the flowers are purple-blue rather than orange-red.
Ahhh! I have seen one of these and wondered what the heck it is!! Thank you! Beautiful tree for sure. Also - I have seen a few poincianas here in westchase, lovely as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofsorrow View Post
i would like to give a few tips i've used for growing plants in florida, but i'm afraid my post might be removed.
How about posting some tips for us?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:43 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
If you google Royal Poinciana in Tampa there is an amazing picture of one in Bloom, in Tampa no less.

Keep them dry in Winter, do not water at all. Only natural rainfall. If posible, provide protection on nights below freezing. Do not plant in cool draining low spots. Make sure the tree doesn't get nightime light-that inhibits flowering as well.

Do not fertilize either. Let the tree lose it's leaves due to seasonal dryness and you will be rewarded with spectacular flowers come May. Enjoy.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM

323 posts, read 684,543 times
I've got a yellow poinciana blooming currently. They are also supposed to be zone 10-11 I had no idea it was a tree that blooms until the last few weeks with all this rain, I suppose. We've only been in the house since last November so it's a nice surprise There's a hibiscus growing with it that's red, it's a very striking tree at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone in Tampa have a Royal Poinciana tree?-222.png   Does anyone in Tampa have a Royal Poinciana tree?-555.png  

Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 PM

21 posts, read 51,427 times
You see more of them in St Pete and Clearwater, but they are around. There are a few huge ones on Davis Island and in S Tpa as well.

If you want the beauty of the poinciana, but want a hardier plant that is more of a shrub plant the dwarf poinciana!

I have them in my yard, and they bloom all summer, vs the couple weeks the Royal poincy does
Does anyone in Tampa have a Royal Poinciana tree?-img_20120531_141324.jpg

Does anyone in Tampa have a Royal Poinciana tree?-img_20120507_175242.jpg

Does anyone in Tampa have a Royal Poinciana tree?-img_20120708_115342.jpg

Old 07-21-2013, 06:55 AM

3 posts, read 15,517 times
Have extras for sale....cheap!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
My royal poinciana is growing like crazy. The trunk is now as big around as my calf, which is amazing since it started put the size of my finger. It hasn't bloomed yet, but the foil age is lovely.

I did plant a dwarf poinciana at the same time and it has grown in height, but thevtrunknhasn't gained much in diameter. It is blooming, but is rather talk and soundly looking.

I haven't gotten a jacaranda tree, but did plant a golden rain tree, which seems to be a sow grower. I've also planted a plumeria. I like the look of the cassia tree, but they seem to be a bit fragile and I'm running out of room.

Thank you to all who have posted and I'm eager to hear more about your favorite trees and flowering plants. Happy gardening.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:07 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWMoss View Post
Have extras for sale....cheap!
Let me know where, when, and how much.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:00 AM

3 posts, read 15,517 times
Hi Sunnydee...call me at 727 644 6441 the trees are in Gulfport/so st pete Charlie

Old 08-05-2013, 07:35 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times
As I said before that is one of my fav's trees......

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay