Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 AM

269 posts, read 607,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
It sounds like to me you are getting scammed and you don't even realize it.

They prefer to strictly deal over e-mail and got upset when you called? Um, I don't think so. They are working for you in this situation and your business could go somewhere else.

Sign over power of attorney? Are they nuts? That is just crazy talk and they really feel like you will do anything they ask at this point...or so it sounds.

It also sounds like they have complete access to your property since you are out of country...so they do as they please and for all you know, rent it out and collect 100% while they tell you it is vacant.

I would take a trip back here and find another rental agent ASAP.
Well, i realize it but somehow i have been accepting it because i could not just change rental agent.

I would not have to give them power of attorney? They said it was new law that i have to, not true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
If I remember your previous posts, you had a problem with this rental agency from the get go. What are you doing with them? So, I would say get another one. I am, in fact, surprised why you stuck with them. Based on what you wrote, they don't sound professional to me. In fact, far from it. But there is another side to every story

I would say go with other company. If you still have the same problem with another agency, then look at yourself and may be a change in practice?

It is hard to be a landlord from far away, even more so from Europe.

Best of luck
I have not been able to go there since the last time. So thats why i could not change rental agent. But now, i assume i HAVE to go there and do it.

Of course, they would maybe give you another side to the story. A side that say that someone question when they do something.

If i were only to trust them, but it feels that i need to sleep with one eye open all the time.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post
Well, i realize it but somehow i have been accepting it because i could not just change rental agent.

I would not have to give them power of attorney? They said it was new law that i have to, not true?
If you give them power of attorney, that pretty much (if I recall correctly) gives them authority to act on your behalf regarding your finances, property, etc. So they could essentially sell the house and keep you out of the deal.

Don't do that until contacting a lawyer.

Bottom line is you need to contact your agent in person, have a trusted friend (preferably an American, because no offense- there are people who have an easier time fooling foreigners) with you, and if some shady dealings have been going on- you ask for the keys back and fire him immediately.

Get yourself a new agent, explain your situation (landlord from abroad), and have a local contact aside from the agent that can act on your behalf- should it be needed.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I don't know why you think you have to come here to get a new agent. With the advent of email and the internet, communication and contracts are a whiz.

IMO, the first thing you must do is read your rental agreement with the current agent. I assume there is a clause that would allow you to cancel that agreement along with an expiration date.

Assuming you have complied with and can cancel your current agreement, you are free to find another agent.

There are good rental companies/agents and some not so much. It seems to me that every want-to-be investor that's ever rented out a property(s) magically becomes an expert. It's not so.

You should interview some potential candidates and go with the ones with the most experience in your target neighborhood. And make sure you ask for proof of insurance. If they're not insured, that's another red flag. Start with your association management. They can help you.

Also as eluded to in earlier posts, there are scammers rampant in areas such as ours that have been hard hit by the foreclosure market. Lots of people are making promises and taking money at others' expense.

Don't be gullible; this is a business and you can get back on the right track, but you have to do your part, too.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
If you give the power of attorney, they can even sell it without you being here. No joke!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I know of no Florida (or anywhere else) law that requires a landlord to award power of attorney to any person/agent/corporation.

Also, if you don't know already, you need to read and understand the Florida Landlord/Tenant Law. Here's the link to the statutes --> Florida Landlord/Tenant Law Division of Consumer Services, DOACS.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Great to have someone like TK posting on this website, isn't it?

Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 PM

By the way, i mentioned to my agent a while ago that i asked around about agents on a forum when i wondered if 20% is a standard fee and some other rental agents contacted me and offered me a better deal. I told them about what they said and my rental agent got mad and said "it's illigal for them to contact you!" and "they are soliciting you! who are they?"

I did not give their names. but is it true? it is illigal for rental agents to offer me a better deal?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:33 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,153 times
All great advice in this thread.

My two cents:

You asked for advice and people are giving it to you. I would call that good business. Don't fall for anyone's pressure tactics. If I was the owner and my property management company threatened me ONE TIME, I would fire them. The first time they did something I did not authorize, I would fire them.
I believe in Customer Service. Johan, you're the customer but unfortunately you are not getting the service.
I am not into the property management side of things as of right now. It looks like you Karen sent you a good link.
If I was a distant owner, I would have everything listed out in detail about what YOU want. You should know 30 days in advance if your property will be vacant! You must personally authorize ANYTHING to be done to your property. Money is due at XX day to you or the property management company owes you XX for a late fee. I could go on and on.
Too many people are doing a good job out there in property management. Get rid of this one if your property is vacant today. If not, tell them you will be getting a new one once this lease ends. You can keep the same tennant, but someone else will write the lease.
Good luck!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
If you give them power of attorney, that pretty much (if I recall correctly) gives them authority to act on your behalf regarding your finances, property, etc. So they could essentially sell the house and keep you out of the deal.

Don't do that until contacting a lawyer.

Bottom line is you need to contact your agent in person, have a trusted friend (preferably an American, because no offense- there are people who have an easier time fooling foreigners) with you, and if some shady dealings have been going on- you ask for the keys back and fire him immediately.

Get yourself a new agent, explain your situation (landlord from abroad), and have a local contact aside from the agent that can act on your behalf- should it be needed.
Strange that they say that it is the law that i HAVE to give them power of attorney. New state law. That is not true then?

I know, people have the tendency to screw some people over. i noticed it when i was there. You need to sleep with one eye open all the time not to get screwed. Always look closely at written agreements and look at all receipts and invoices to see that all agreed upon is correct. I am not really used to be needing to do that.

Maybe it is a Florida thing?

One person that i felt screwed me over, i talked to him and told him how i felt. He sat down and told me that he remember when he came to Florida. He were screwed over a couple of times himself and he did not even think of it anymore. It was a lifestyle.

That did not have anything to do with rental agents but maybe it is a way of life that i dont understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay