Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 04:51 PM

269 posts, read 607,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I know of no Florida (or anywhere else) law that requires a landlord to award power of attorney to any person/agent/corporation.

Also, if you don't know already, you need to read and understand the Florida Landlord/Tenant Law. Here's the link to the statutes --> Florida Landlord/Tenant Law Division of Consumer Services, DOACS.
I will read that, thank you.

Strange that they said it was new law. They said specificaly "In March of this yer, Florida changed..."

Can the state itself change the laws or is it only a strange way to say it?
It feels like it was a command by the lord himself when reading it like that.

"Florida wants this" so to speak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I don't know why you think you have to come here to get a new agent. With the advent of email and the internet, communication and contracts are a whiz.

IMO, the first thing you must do is read your rental agreement with the current agent. I assume there is a clause that would allow you to cancel that agreement along with an expiration date.

Assuming you have complied with and can cancel your current agreement, you are free to find another agent.

There are good rental companies/agents and some not so much. It seems to me that every want-to-be investor that's ever rented out a property(s) magically becomes an expert. It's not so.

You should interview some potential candidates and go with the ones with the most experience in your target neighborhood. And make sure you ask for proof of insurance. If they're not insured, that's another red flag. Start with your association management. They can help you.

Also as eluded to in earlier posts, there are scammers rampant in areas such as ours that have been hard hit by the foreclosure market. Lots of people are making promises and taking money at others' expense.

Don't be gullible; this is a business and you can get back on the right track, but you have to do your part, too.
They have canceled the agreement with me so i dont think that will be an issue.

I am not sure if my association management could help me.

There were an incident when my rental agent talked to them and they did not quite get along. i feel that my rental agent damaged my relationship with them. I have not spoken with them since but as the agent described it, they did not like the agent and i feel that they will take that out on me

Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
All great advice in this thread.

My two cents:

You asked for advice and people are giving it to you. I would call that good business. Don't fall for anyone's pressure tactics. If I was the owner and my property management company threatened me ONE TIME, I would fire them. The first time they did something I did not authorize, I would fire them.
I believe in Customer Service. Johan, you're the customer but unfortunately you are not getting the service.
I am not into the property management side of things as of right now. It looks like you Karen sent you a good link.
If I was a distant owner, I would have everything listed out in detail about what YOU want. You should know 30 days in advance if your property will be vacant! You must personally authorize ANYTHING to be done to your property. Money is due at XX day to you or the property management company owes you XX for a late fee. I could go on and on.
Too many people are doing a good job out there in property management. Get rid of this one if your property is vacant today. If not, tell them you will be getting a new one once this lease ends. You can keep the same tennant, but someone else will write the lease.
Good luck!
The problem is that i did not get any chance to fire them because i have not been able to go to Florida for a while.

Customer service? Is that really availble in this business?
When they wrote the info about the condo, i suggested to add a few lines and the agent got angry at me when i questioned him, even his typing errors in the text were to be there because he have done this for a long time and english is not my mothers tounge so i could not know more than him.
I did not even knew i was a customer,
i feel more of a donor of a condo at the agents pleasure to rent out as he pleases.

One thing that i have not even mentioned is how many times i need to write to them about not paying out the rent.

The rent is always weeks late and if i dont point it out to them, sometimes they "forget to pay me"

Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 PM

If your rental agent email you and say "i rented out your condo with XXX terms" and you say "No way i agree to those terms! Dont sign that contract!" and the rental agent tells you that the tenant has lived there for a few weeks already. How would you react?

Especially since the association has a period of time to do background check on the tenant so they must have known about the renter a few weeks before he moved in

Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,880 times
WOW. I know there are horror stories out there, but normally they are tennants getting it over on the owner. Not the management company getting it over on the owner.
It probably is not within the rules to post the management company, but I AM REALLY CURIOUS!!!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
WOW. I know there are horror stories out there, but normally they are tennants getting it over on the owner. Not the management company getting it over on the owner.
It probably is not within the rules to post the management company, but I AM REALLY CURIOUS!!!
Do you feel that anything in my story seem strange or is it standard procedure in Florida?

As a foreigner, i really don't know. i can only compare it with how it is here.

I dont give their names because it would make people question my motivation and they could even question if what i say is true or think that i am here for other reasons.

I really want help with this issue, thats why i am here

Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 AM

Why did you stop answering?

Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,684 times
Because your story is so bizarre and, honestly, anyone in their right mind who cares about their investment and getting their fair share would be IN Tampa resolving this.

If it were me, this whole situation would have been resolved since you started this thread.

Everyone is telling you that if you aren't being screwed over completely, you have a very rude and unorthodox rental agent currently that you need to let go of.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:22 PM

I will go to Tampa, but i cannot go yet because it is a long and very expensive trip for me. Its not like i live in Atlanta.

I just "spoken" to my rental agent. They say that they will not give me my own money because they decided to give the tenant discount.

Also one thing, in the contract with the rental agent. [SIZE=3]it specifies that they are allowed to rent it out for 800-1200 per month.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The last tenant paid $695 per month[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Can they do like this?[/SIZE]

Old 05-21-2012, 02:43 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,760 times
They can do anything that both parties agreed to in the contract.

You have the contract in front of you, not us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay