U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 AM

269 posts, read 559,512 times

Advertisements

I have previously talked about my rental agent.

Now, i really don't know what to do.

When he looked at my condo in 2010.
I asked if i were going to get internet in the condo.
He laughed at me and said that was not necessary.

Now he (no... his assistant) mailed me a while ago and seemed very angry that the internet did not work for the new tenant. I have never had internet and had a few tenants before. No one wanted internet.

I was stunned, they did not even told me that they rented out the condo. They also promised the tenant free internet and free electric in the price. I answered that i would never agree to such a deal and wrote a long email with questions to the rental agent.

The only answer i got was that he wanted to abandon my account. He did not answer any questions.

I demanded to see the signed contract and in the contract it was not a word about internet. It was also stated that the tenant were to pay the electric.

The rental agent told me that i needed to get internet for the tenant.
So i (against my will) called up bright house, told them about the emergency and asked them to come out and install internet in the condo.
They could come the next day. I immidiatly returned the rental agents mail and now he said "no, dont get internet. the tenant already has internet".

So the month passed and on the last rent i got a smaller amount than i should have. so i contacted the rental agent and i got the answer that they had "no idea why i did not get the full amount" and that they would look into it.

Now the tenant has left and they mailed me that a new tenant wanted to rent the condo. on this point, i did not have a contract with them anymore since the rental agent closed that contract the last time i asked questions.
I got the feeling that this was to make me forget about not getting the full rent. I immidiatly accepted and thanked for actually asking me before signing the contract with the tenant. I wrote a long mail hoping to restore a "good" relationship.

The time went by and i started to wonder why i did hear anything so we called them up (usualy we talk by email) and the rental agent were VERY annoyed that we called and disturbed them. They said that they prefer to correspond by email as usual!. When we asked about the new rental, the agent said "no, did not rent it". And then ended the phone call

I were actually going to forget about the rent that i did not get for the last tenant but now i emailed again and got the answer that the tenant must be compensated because the condo did not have internet. It seemed fair to them to compensate with $150.

I said that i never agreed to such terms. Then they once again wanted to cancel my contract.

Is this common procedure? When you ask questions, the rental agent cancel your contract?
Is it common that they write a contract and dont follow it?

Is it too much to ask for that they ask me if i agree to terms before they rent out? As they promised from the beginning.

What should i do about the situation?

I must add that they are abusing their power because i do not live in Florida, i do not even live in America and i have a long and costly journey to take to find another rental agent and they know that. Thats why they cancel my contract every time i do not agree to their terms. They do it in a way of thretening me to silence
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 05:02 AM

Worth mentioning is that they mailed me the other day and wanted me to sign a power of attorney to them. They said it was new "state law" that i needed to sign, get witnessed, notirized and get back to them immidiatly.

Part of the text were ""We would like to clarify, we will not sign a lease without discussing the terms with you first. Our business practices will remain the same. Tenant terms will be discussed with you before a lease is ordered or a deposit is taken""

Only on the first rental, they asked me about the terms. Then they never did, they did not even told me that someone were living in my condo.

Another incident were last year. When they rent out short term, they get 20% commission. They rented out 3 month and then they extended the rent for one month at the time for almost a full year. They withdraw 20% of all extentions. Is that really how it should be?

Old 05-17-2012, 05:56 AM

4,556 posts, read 6,924,126 times
Sounds like the property management company is not doing their part to your satisfaction. There are many co's here to do that.

Let's see if any of the RE agents here have something to say to you....

Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 AM

27,798 posts, read 28,023,213 times
I'm not sure, but I'd bet that if we went back to your message board threads about buying a condo and renting it out, there was discussion about how difficult it would be to be a long-distance owner.

It looks like you're feeling those pains now.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 AM

2,727 posts, read 4,632,564 times
If I remember your previous posts, you had a problem with this rental agency from the get go. What are you doing with them? So, I would say get another one. I am, in fact, surprised why you stuck with them. Based on what you wrote, they don't sound professional to me. In fact, far from it. But there is another side to every story

I would say go with other company. If you still have the same problem with another agency, then look at yourself and may be a change in practice?

It is hard to be a landlord from far away, even more so from Europe.

Best of luck

Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,836,464 times
It sounds like to me you are getting scammed and you don't even realize it.

They prefer to strictly deal over e-mail and got upset when you called? Um, I don't think so. They are working for you in this situation and your business could go somewhere else.

Sign over power of attorney? Are they nuts? That is just crazy talk and they really feel like you will do anything they ask at this point...or so it sounds.

It also sounds like they have complete access to your property since you are out of country...so they do as they please and for all you know, rent it out and collect 100% while they tell you it is vacant.

I would take a trip back here and find another rental agent ASAP.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 AM

15,867 posts, read 33,289,355 times
You should sell that place. Being a landlord is a major headache and being a long-distance one is nuts.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,053,116 times
There is no other way to state it: you are being scammed.

I'm not sure how to proceed, since it sounds like someone has taken total control of your property possibly with your consent. I would contact another rental company and/or a real estate attorney.

The short answer: expect this ordeal to cost you a lot more money.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
There is no other way to state it: you are being scammed.

I'm not sure how to proceed, since it sounds like someone has taken total control of your property possibly with your consent. I would contact another rental company and/or a real estate attorney.

The short answer: expect this ordeal to cost you a lot more money.
Why will it cost me a lot of money?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You should sell that place. Being a landlord is a major headache and being a long-distance one is nuts.
I want my condo to be inherited by my children and make it a home someday, i am not just going to sell it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay