U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:52 AM

16 posts, read 61,519 times

Advertisements

My July & August electric bills were $700 & $850; almost double what they were the previous year. Nothing has changed in our habits, in fact we have done some door/window sealing and purchased an energy star compliant washer, dryer & dishwasher. The kilowatt hours usage has gone from the low 100s to over 200. We had our A/C unit worked on in August, it was in need of service and cleaning; we really thought that would take care of it, it seemed to work much more comfortably. Our house is over 90 years old and approximately 3,000 sf. We have an upstairs and downstairs unit. We've been through all of the energy savings items TECO puts you through-the thermostat is set to 78 or 80, higher when we are out of the house, We checked to make sure the water heater is cycling correctly. The A/C units are roughly 10 years old, they are not from a well known manufacturer. Could they be shot? Would they be working great as far as cooling the house, but inefficient enough to cause these extraordinarily high bills? There has to be something wrong if the bills are this much higher than last year.....who has $850 electric bills?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 02:34 AM

198 posts, read 921,561 times
Newer AC units are certainely more efficient than ones 10 years ago, but for the size of your house, it will be lots of $$ to replace both. You would need to determine how long you think you will be in the house to determine your return on the new A/C.

Have you ever thought that someone could be stealing your electricity? Could a neighbor be running an extension cord during the day or night and using your power? It may sound far fetched, but I have seen it happen before....

Old 09-21-2007, 03:05 AM

You know, we have thought about that, but I am bordered on one side by a busy street, one side a smaller street, one side is an alley and the other side has a couple of lots worth of space between the neighbors and us....When you say lots of $$, what realm are you speaking of? I can't do $850 electric bills for too much longer....I have never heard of anyone in a house this size with bills even close to that......I do have three teenagers who leave things on.....but that was the case last year too, nothing has changed so much that the bill/usage should be that much higher.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:53 AM

8,488 posts, read 19,617,520 times
I am just over 3000 sq ft and I have a pool pump running 8 hours a day. The most my bill has ever been was $220. Even with the age of your home the bill is insane. Call the electric company and tell them there is something wrong with the meter and for them to come check it out. They will let you know what the problem probably is.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:11 AM

Mike, thanks for the affirmation! That's what I said to TECO-there's no way our bill should be this much........they keep trying to get someone over for an energy audit as ask repeatedly what I keep my thermostat on. I would love for the meter to be wrong......it would save us a bunch of money from getting a new A/C system......you have fortified me...I am going to call today and request a meter check up. Thanks.......

Old 09-21-2007, 05:18 AM

13,768 posts, read 36,566,357 times
Try reading your own meter. If you have your electric bill from last month or even the last 2 months you can tell how much electric you used. Your bill is awful high. You might try posting on CD forum 'House' and get some opinions on your AC unit. Lots of knowledge on that forum.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:48 AM

We read the meter and calculated the usage between the last reading and yesterday....the daily usage is virtually unchanged...I will check out the other board...thanks!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:01 PM

942 posts, read 1,246,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdfl View Post
You know, we have thought about that, but I am bordered on one side by a busy street, one side a smaller street, one side is an alley and the other side has a couple of lots worth of space between the neighbors and us....When you say lots of $$, what realm are you speaking of? I can't do $850 electric bills for too much longer....I have never heard of anyone in a house this size with bills even close to that......I do have three teenagers who leave things on.....but that was the case last year too, nothing has changed so much that the bill/usage should be that much higher.
Something is drastically wrong with these bills, I had a home in New England with electric heat, and the heat was on all the time thru the winter and the air in the summer, I never had bills anywhere near that. I would make sure the electric company there, went over these bills, I would also want to know if other customers in my vacinity with similiar homes were getting bills of such a outrageous amount. It does sound like you are getting billed for electricity useage for more than your property, actually it sounds like you have the bills for 3 houses.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,566,357 times
Ask for a manager at TECO if they keep giving you the run around. If that doesn't work call one of the TV stations, like 8 on your side and ask for their help. They have been known to make mistakes in reading meters, I made them come out once when they read my meter wrong.
By Monday you should be able to calculate the daily usage and multiply by 30 to see what you get..

Old 09-22-2007, 07:17 AM

8 on your side sounds like a great idea! TECO just keeps pushing the energy audit, which we had a little over a year ago, and did several of the things they recommended, so our bill should be lower......they are asking questions back at square one, I've told them what I set my thermostat on a million times. They don't seem to know how to go beyond the basic energy savings tips and think about something actually being wrong.....thanks to all who are telling me there is definitely something wrong......I would hate to think $850 is normal for me.......of course it can;t because it was half last year. I will speak to my neighbors........maybe one of them mysteriously stopped being charged for electricity a couple months ago...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: