Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,265 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to retire and possibly move to the Clearwater area or a little north or south of it.

I'm looking for information on the pros and cons of apartments, crime, good areas, bad areas, you get the idea.

I'm wanting to rent an apartment at first to figure out exactly which area I'd want to buy a house in.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
We chose Dunedin, which is partly north, and partly west of Clearwater, which surrounds Dunedin on two sides. Lots of retirees and apartments, but a fairly diverse age demographic too. We like it very much. Very walkable, lovely little downtown, vibrant.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:22 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I would recommend the Countryside area of NE Clearwater which is north of SR580, east of US19, west of McMullen Booth Road and south of Curlew Road. It's a beautiful area with lots of trees/greenery, low crime and is convenient to shopping, restaurants and services. It's not all retirees and offers some age diversity over most of Dunedin and other parts of Clearwater.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
Countryside is very nice, we looked there. But we decided it was too far from the water. We're a 15 minute walk to the Sound, and a 20 minute drive to Honeymoon Island State Park. We also can walk just about everywhere.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:59 AM

18 posts, read 35,520 times
KEVIN V.....We have a daughter living in the Countryside area, and her husband is from Dunedin. We like both areas. Countryside is good for them since they are a younger couple who need shopping and services close by. Nice people of various ages living in their neighborhood. They seem to have no problem getting over to the beach whenever they want to. I love all the stores (& Countryside Mall) & restaurants in their area. There is traffic congestion in Pinellas County during rush hours, but wouldn't really be a problem for a retiree who can choose times to be on the road. Dunedin is actually just a "suburb" of Clearwater with its own quaint little downtown area--bars, antique shops, boutiques. Very nice town for walking and a pretty park and waterfront area. Most of the affordable housing areas I've seen in Dunedin are "old Florida". There are some apartments, but Countryside has tons more apartments to choose from. I'd say get a real estate agent to help you out. My husband and I (both retirees) are considering the Trinity area off of Eastlake Rd. because the homes are a bit newer than Countryside, and most streets are gated. As a big city northern girl who now lives in a small very pretty S. Carolina town, I think the Eastlake area is attractive--very pretty neighborhoods & convenient to shopping, services, and medical facilities. Try to stay in Pinellas County and avoid Pasco County unless you locate in the area of Pasco that's south of SR54. Only area of Pasco north of SR54 that's decent is Beacon Woods IMO, but even that area is a long way from what it was 35 years ago when it was filled with WWII well-to-do retirees. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: