Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 06:55 PM

9 posts, read 12,947 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to the area at the end of June. Coming down to St Pete to house hunt next week. While I have focused most of my efforts on single family homes (I like peace and quiet) around the Treasure Island, Pasadena, Gulf Port general areas, I have come across several nice condos for rent as well for decent prices.

I have never lived in a condo community before so I am hoping to get some general tips, advice or ideas about renting a condo since I will probably consider them as well.

Advice I am looking for for example would be what things to ask property mgmt and what specific things to look for or consider.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 08:05 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,974 times
I'd make certain when you talk with the property manager or association's representative that the owner of the condo you're going to be renting is current on their association dues. If not you could potentially have various issues accessing amenities, plus it's a red flag that they're not paying their mortgage either and foreclosure could be around the corner. Also, I'd want to review the deed restrictions from the owner and make sure there's nothing in them that you aren't okay with (number and size of pets, etc.).

Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,009 times
If you like peace and quiet, never, EVER live on any floor that is not the top floor unless it is very solid construction. All it takes is one inconsiderate neighbor and your life will become a living hell.

There are many communities in the area that were apartment conversions that have little or no sound abatement installed between floors and/or walls. I would try to ask other current residents (besides the biased seller, of course) about the sound transmission.

Also, besides the deed restrictions, get a copy of the current rules. The condo board can make its own rules that are not included in the original deed restrictions.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Thank you VERY much to those that have replied so far.

This is EXACTLY the type of info that I was looking for and had no idea about!

Any additional info is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 PM

Also look at the most recent financial statements from the association along with the amount of cash in reserves. If the association has been undercollecting toward reserves (big ticket items like roofs, painting, roads, etc) you may be in for a hefty special assessment down the line.

They should also have a copy of the annual reserve study for your review (usually they do not issue copies, but allow you to look at it in the association manager's office). This will tell you when big ticket items are scheduled to be replaced and how much it will cost. An association that does not perform an annual or bi-annual reserve study is another red flag.

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-31-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 PM

Chi tino
Would the renter be responsible for an assessment or just the property owner? I would think that only the property owner would be responsible for assessments but I could be wrong.
Thanks

Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 PM

No, just the owner. If you are renting, however, check out the public records to see if the condo owner is actually paying his bills or if they are about to lose it in foreclosure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay