U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 22,058 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the St. Petersburg area very soon and my real estate agent told me of a nice 55+ community called The Mainlands in Pinellas Park (east of 19). Single family home condos, very nicely maintained, surrounds a golf course with some small lakes. It seems perfect for me. However, it seems like people on this forum say to stay away from Pinellas Park because it's dangerous or seedy or just plain terrible. I haven't been there yet and am wondering what the real story is and what the big deal is. My realtor said there are good and not so good areas just like all cities.

So what's the scoop???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 03:28 AM

792 posts, read 2,090,558 times
I live in Pinellas Park and it's fine. There is nothing wrong with it at all.
It is primarily working class folks and that tends to offend some people.

Like EVERY part of the Tampa bay area, there are good spots and bad spots all in the same community.

Don't believe all the nonsense you read on here about 'bad areas'. The only really bad area is the southside of St. Pete, which is down around 22nd ave. south.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:13 AM

22,455 posts, read 33,311,137 times
Pinellas Park overall is not so much dangerous, just kind of butt ugly unfortunately.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:27 AM

Default Thought So...

I kind of thought that was the case, since I looked at so many crime statistic sites and the area I'm looking in is considered low crime. In fact, most of the north part of Pinellas Park looks like it hasn't much crime. The typical things, petty theft and car break-ins, but nothing major. I will be moving from Milwaukee, WI and let me tell you about areas of crime. Last summer we had waves of "flash mobs" where hundreds of ghetto youth all congregated in an instant via Facebook and started fighting with people in the area, running through stores in large groups stealing everything they could grab, and then smashing car windows on the way up the streets. Totally scary. This happened 3 times last summer and not it nasty areas either, but nice areas with ghetto a few miles away. There are shootings every day, a murder a couple times a week (they just found a body stuffed in a sewer yesterday, and it's amazing when nothing bad is in the news. I actually stopped watching the news...

I can't imagine anything in Pinellas Park will shock me. The only thing I hate is the way people don't keep up their properties, which seems the case in many areas of Florida for some reason. Cars and junk all over the place. I don't get it. Even in the nice neighborhoods.

Thanks for your responses!

Old 05-31-2012, 07:29 AM

Does anyone know about The Mainlands community and the golf course in Pinellas Park? It seems like a very nicely kept place.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 AM

1,711 posts, read 2,780,760 times
The Mainlands is nice, mostly older stucco on block homes but very well kept up. I've done a lot of work in the Mainlands and have yet to meet a resident who didn't like it there.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 AM

Thanks for your response! I was very impressed so far with what I have seen and am really looking forward to seeing the Mainlands in person. It seems like people like it there from what I have read, and the condo fees include sooooo much - they maintain the roofs AND paint the exterior every few years as part of it - and of course do the lawn and trimming. It also includes the water, trash, sewer, and clubhouse/pool maintenance. I can put up with some sections here and there of Pinellas Park that is lousy as long as the large surrounding area around me (like the Mainlands) is well kept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay